Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The way Guild Wars 2 is MEANT to be played

this is the Youtube version (since some people had issues with the Game Informer player) of the video posted elsewhere on the forums, but i believe that this video should be seen as after watching a lot of press videos, people's perception of combat has been skewed some. this is probably one of the best videos showcasing GW2 available atm.

the driver is GW2 dev Jon Chapman playing with other GW2 devs Johnathan Sharp, Isaiah Cartwright and Karl

i believe that this video was taken after the CBT3 test but before the changes seen at PAX East, at least as far as i can tell due to the staff aoe skill Chaos Storm, which looked very toned down at the PAX East presentation than in this video. it is still in beta so there will be some graphical glitches, i spotted at least 3, so let's not harp on them as the devs obviously saw them.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

I saw this video yesterday and have to agree that it is one of the best GW2 vids I've seen so far. Great gameplay and commentary.

The topic title is amusing considering how much time the developer spends saying "there is no right way to play, we let people do it however they want, this is just how I do it"

Yeah but any press player is absolutely fuckbad terrible at the game and any other game so he is just happy to see a video where a player knows what he's doing. I am also tired of the bads on youtube beta videos even though I watch them anyway because I can't wait for the game. Watching the video now, but I'll just say before I do.. Awesome vid!

I have seen the devs play and they are good.

Wow, very epic commentary by them as well.
    Last edited by Murlek; 2012-04-14 at 07:26 PM.

I believe the OP didn't mean "play the class this way" but more like "this is the way to do group content and what is good about the game".

Deleted
    30 minutes of great gameplay and very useful comments and questions. Nice! Wish it was with another profession as the mesmer though, but thats just me nitpicking..

Quote Originally Posted by Chaltione View Post
    I believe the OP didn't mean "play the class this way" but more like "this is the way to do group content and what is good about the game".
    Oh I know, I'm not complaining I just thought it was funny

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I LOVE how pvp isn't just stun lock-fear- 3 shot deaths! Granted i play a rogue in wow (pvp about 75% of the time), but it gets old, either you stun lock someone to death or they cc you to death. Can't wait for this game!

10+ Year Old Account
    That video is making me consider going mesmer. omnomnom.

The first few minutes already showed how the game isnt faceroll. He nearly died to one single enemy because he didnt dodge the attacks and just played poorly. Interesting video.

Utilizing skills when the situation calls for, dodging properly. I love this video and I am so stoked for this game to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    The first few minutes already showed how the game isnt faceroll. He nearly died to one single enemy because he didnt dodge the attacks and just played poorly. Interesting video.
    Because he was fighting against mobs 3 levels above him.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

He was also doing commentary as he was playing... definitely a legendary player, would hate to go against him or izzy or karl or any other dev in pvp lol. Actually I'd love it but probably get rolled upon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    The topic title is amusing considering how much time the developer spends saying "there is no right way to play, we let people do it however they want, this is just how I do it"
    I'm pretty sure what the OP is getting at is that you're not meant to never use your 2 through 0 skills.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    yeah, at 14 I'd probably get my ass kicked by a 18 wow mob too
    the 80 downscaled to 18 character had much less problems with mobs, good example is the silver etin, about what was it, 10 min in? he 1 shots the mesmer with his aoe, but only does about 1/4 of the hp bar dmg to the other player

Deleted
    ''We don't have any Mesmer videos-...''

Wat 8D?

Deleted
    It was pretty decent, just a shame that their "best" players back peddle so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    It was pretty decent, just a shame that their "best" players back peddle so much.
    There's nothing wrong with back peddleing when you do it at appropriate times. If you can force the target to take a few extra seconds to reach you while your still pelting them from range that can be a better choice than just standing your ground or turning your back to run. standing your ground you may get 2-3 fewer casts off before they reach you and start doing damage. That is extra time for your defensive skills to come back off CD and just extra damage when your foe cant retaliate. Turning to run your not doing any damage when faceing away and wow style jump casting does not work in all situations or games.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely better than watching alot of the press beta videos. Loved the pvp half of the video especially, these devs are beasts!

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering you can cast while moving, there ain't nothing wrong with back-pedaling in this game. Though I will admit it's better to strafe, so it's odd to avoid that...

Unless you don't have the enemy targeted for some reason. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.