Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tithonus View Post
    No mention of an open beta. Just closed betas, and BWEs that are guarenteed access w/ pre-purchase.
    ok thanks,

so is GW2 like wow? i mean as in the classes and levelling and so on, i quit wow for SWTOR but frankly 40 people on fleet at peak,, i think i need to move on, so im turning towards GW2 can some people give me some good incentives to play GW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Zem View Post
    Oh come on I left wow to escape auto targeting and that homing projectile crap and now you telling me its in GW2 as well. I wonder if I can still get my money back.
    They only track to a small extent, they aren't unavoidable homing missiles.

Slightly ot, but can someone please enlighten me why I can't see link to this video? Sorry for noobish question but couldn't find reason myself and I'd love to see this vid
    Thx in advance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdrumpslap View Post
    ok thanks,

so is GW2 like wow? i mean as in the classes and levelling and so on, i quit wow for SWTOR but frankly 40 people on fleet at peak,, i think i need to move on, so im turning towards GW2 can some people give me some good incentives to play GW2?
    GW2 is nothing like wow, it's an insult to even compare it to WoW tbh it's like comparing a toyota wow prius to a Guild Audi Wars 2

no one can tell you if GW2 is for you.. it's up to you to find out

that is the secret of GW2's "hype", it's not peer inflicted but rather a real demand

for it to mean anything, it has to grow from within

start by watching some videos on youtube, search "The shaterrer", start there

enjoy your journey and who knows maybe at the end, you'll give GW2 a try

Twitter: @EsmeraldoC

Im not a big fan of this game, but Gotta say after watching this vid. Im interested now.

Not leaving WoW interested, but interested none the less

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Kinda unrelated, but from the look of it, if someone dives behind a pillar or something as you cast your super mega super saiyan 6 kamehameha it can go on cooldown and be "obstructed". Which is kinda neat.
    Yeah this feature in particular will increase overall skill in this game; no more spamming your hardest hitting attack so it hits as soon as the target is in LoS, which you can do in WoW so the game basically takes over for you. You'll actually need timing in GW2, it should be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    They only track to a small extent, they aren't unavoidable homing missiles.
    Could you elaborate more on the " small extent" part?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieprince View Post
    GW2 is nothing like wow, it's an insult to even compare it to WoW tbh it's like comparing a toyota wow prius to a Guild Audi Wars 2

no one can tell you if GW2 is for you.. it's up to you to find out

that is the secret of GW2's "hype", it's not peer inflicted but rather a real demand

for it to mean anything, it has to grow from within

start by watching some videos on youtube, search "The shaterrer", start there

enjoy your journey and who knows maybe at the end, you'll give GW2 a try
    Thanks for the reply

I know comparing other mmos to wow is a nono, but I was a late starter to mmos ( always played fps from old counterstrike. to dod. to cod to mw and so on) only started playing mmos at the start of lich king, so that and swtor are the only 2 mmo i have to compare GW2 with :P

I was reading the site on the classes and watching some vids. it does look really good, gona spend few hours checking stuff out and will decide if im going pre order.. there is no monthly free, correct?

read some posts saying it might be released this may or April? if so i better hurry up with my decision :P

I believe hes getting at that this isn't like a 3rd person shooter, but it isn't completely auto lock on. If you cast at your on somebody from far while they are running from you the attack won't just fly forever until it hits the target. or like if you cast on somebody and they run behind a wall it wont fly through the wall to hit them, it will say obstructed.

Not sure if that is the answer you were looking for. Sorry if it isn't.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdrumpslap View Post
    Thanks for the reply

I know comparing other mmos to wow is a nono, but I was a late starter to mmos ( always played fps from old counterstrike. to dod. to cod to mw and so on) only started playing mmos at the start of lich king, so that and swtor are the only 2 mmo i have to compare GW2 with :P

I was reading the site on the classes and watching some vids. it does look really good, gona spend few hours checking stuff out and will decide if im going pre order.. there is no monthly free, correct?

read some posts saying it might be released this may or April? if so i better hurry up with my decision :P
    You are right sir, there's no monthly fee, you'll only have to pay for the game + possible expansions, and, if you want buy some stuff at the in-game shop (keep in mind this shop is not intended to be a "Buy 2 get Power" model).

The release date hasn't been anounced yet, and aNet has yet to do some "open betas (from Pre-order)" first

Quote Originally Posted by PonyCannon View Post
    I believe hes getting at that this isn't like a 3rd person shooter, but it isn't completely auto lock on. If you cast at your on somebody from far while they are running from you the attack won't just fly forever until it hits the target. or like if you cast on somebody and they run behind a wall it wont fly through the wall to hit them, it will say obstructed.

Not sure if that is the answer you were looking for. Sorry if it isn't.
    That's the way how spells/attacks work in this game, they won't chase you forever.

By the way i have a little question...
    if you use a spell/ranged attack at max range of the skill (I.E. Using a fireball at 30yd range) and while it's thrown the enemy goes backwards (gets to 31+ yd range while the fireball is travelling), will the skill land?
    Last edited by barackopala; 2012-04-15 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    By the way i have a little question...
    if you use a spell/ranged attack at max range of the skill (I.E. Using a fireball at 30yd range) and while it's thrown the enemy goes backwards (gets to 31+ yd range while the fireball is travelling), will the skill land?
    The spell will go off but won't land.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Deleted
    Sorry for asking but will they remove this, i dont know what to call it, flying/gliding effect when you run in the released game?

In WoW if you cast fireball on someone and it goes off, it will hit them.
    It doesn't matter if you are on a flying mount, or suddenly run around a corner, the projectile will follow you. It will clip through walls, it never runs out of range, it will pursue you until the ends of the earth. A good example of this is the gnomish paper zepellin item, you can outpace them trivially just by running in a circle but they will follow you endlessly, allowing you to amass a huge cloud of zepellins that will never give up their hunt until they impact with you.
    More than once in WoW I've flown over a zone, aggroed a proto drake in the air and had a cloud of blue mist chase me halfway across Northrend :P

In Guild Wars projectiles don't assume that finishing casting your spell means that you have hit the target, while you do not have to aim with a scope or hold your cursor over a target like you would in a shooting game or while using a DoTA skillshot spell, you do still need to have a clear sight to your opponent.
    It also doesn't hold your hand with ranges, it is perfectly possible to fire spells at people while you are out of range at which point they will fizzle out and fall uselessly onto the ground before hitting your enemy, possibly wasting a long cooldown.
    If the foe then moves behind a wall or far enough away then the attack will miss, similarly if they use the built-in dodge they can duck under it or to the sides.

Deleted
    this got double posted please delete this one
    Last edited by mmocaee67d9e9c; 2012-04-15 at 01:40 AM.

Deleted
    When activating a skill your character turns and fires it in the direction your target is currently in. If the target then moves, the projectile will miss.
    Most shooting weapons (guns, bows) fire very fast projectiles that are probably impossible to avoid, but spells and certain ranged special attacks that takes a little bit to travel are avoidable by dodging or moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    Sorry for asking but will they remove this, i dont know what to call it, flying/gliding effect when you run in the released game?
    I assure you most people will report this day1 of the beta testing~ the gliding effect doesnt affect the gameplay at all so i'm not to worried about it, but it's a rather weird effect that should be fixed, it's just not game breaking and i hope it doesn't take them too much time to fix @-@

Depends on class, spec, level and whether you're wearing heirlooms really.
    A tank or some class with self healing probably can.
    It's also harder to take on an 84 at 80 than a 5 at 1.
    True, the level matters but that's really it. Even before heirlooms I've never had a problem fighting a mob 3 levels higher than myself while leveling up, except maybe content at the beginning of an expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Sometimes it's true. You should consider that raid bosses are technically 3 levels higher than you, however.
    Obviously not talking about raid bosses, just talking about outside questing vs regular mobs.

In WoW if you cast fireball on someone and it goes off, it will hit them.
    It doesn't matter if you are on a flying mount, or suddenly run around a corner, the projectile will follow you. It will clip through walls, it never runs out of range, it will pursue you until the ends of the earth. A good example of this is the gnomish paper zepellin item, you can outpace them trivially just by running in a circle but they will follow you endlessly, allowing you to amass a huge cloud of zepellins that will never give up their hunt until they impact with you.
    More than once in WoW I've flown over a zone, aggroed a proto drake in the air and had a cloud of blue mist chase me halfway across Northrend :P

In Guild Wars projectiles don't assume that finishing casting your spell means that you have hit the target, while you do not have to aim with a scope or hold your cursor over a target like you would in a shooting game or while using a DoTA skillshot spell, you do still need to have a clear sight to your opponent.
    It also doesn't hold your hand with ranges, it is perfectly possible to fire spells at people while you are out of range at which point they will fizzle out and fall uselessly onto the ground before hitting your enemy, possibly wasting a long cooldown.
    If the foe then moves behind a wall or far enough away then the attack will miss, similarly if they use the built-in dodge they can duck under it or to the sides.
    Any ideas as to why AN choose auto target instead of cursor over a target?

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Considering you can cast while moving, there ain't nothing wrong with back-pedaling in this game. Though I will admit it's better to strafe, so it's odd to avoid that...

Unless you don't have the enemy targeted for some reason. O_o
    if the enemy is in range the character will turn to attack it just FYI :P

10+ Year Old Account
    The first thing I thought when I saw the title was "half-naked and covered in Cheetohs crumbs." Apparently I was wrong.