Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    It would be a pretty bad idea not to put it out on steam post-release. That's a huge group of potential customers that should never be avoided.
    Im affraid I dissagree. After playing Left 4 Dead 2 I hope another game never shows up on Steam. Not because of the Steam Software but because of thier sales they offer. You have no idea how annoying it is after a year of playing to all of a sudden have Steam put L4D2 on sale for 80% off and half all the servers floaded with noobies over night. and then 2 months go by and then they do it again.

I couldnt imagine constantly watching

[How do you open your Traits Window]
    [What Does Combo Finisher Mean]
    [How do I Equipe this Sword]

Everytime Steam puts Guildwaras 2 on Sale for 10$

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    My Friend knows this guy whos sister dates a teacher who when traveling to canada, met a man who worked at Cost Co who has a second cousin that got a drive from a priest who knows a janitor that works at Steam whos says Yes Guildwars 2 will be on Steam. I cant confirm the accuracy but my friends sister boyfriend who traveled to canada that met that cost co employee whos cousin hitch hiked with that priest that knows that steam employeed janitor couldnt possiably be wrong.
    My head hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    You can share your games with a friends on steam. That means if he plays a different time than you are. Maybe one of the reasons some companies don't like Steam anymore?
    that made no sense.

-snip-
    Not every game is a victim of steam sales.
    Pretty sure steam has to get permission from the developer to do sales like that.
    Some games have been on steam for years and the cheapest they've ever gone is like 10% off.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I certainly hope not. I'm sure some of you love steam and have never had any trouble with it. But my friends and I have had a buttload of issues since we bought MW3 and were forced to install the steam client.

We're a group of 14 dudes that train together, when one of us buys an online game, everyone else follows. After MW3, we unanimously concluded never again to buy a game that requires steam.

I guess we we're just unlucky
    Of course you had issues, you bought MW3.

Im affraid I dissagree. After playing Left 4 Dead 2 I hope another game never shows up on Steam. Not because of the Steam Software but because of thier sales they offer. You have no idea how annoying it is after a year of playing to all of a sudden have Steam put L4D2 on sale for 80% off and half all the servers floaded with noobies over night. and then 2 months go by and then they do it again.

Because general chat is good in any open server multi player game?

And you do realize that for Steam to put something on sales like 80% off they have to get publisher approval right? Reason brick and morter stores don't have to is because the publishers get the money up front and if the store wants to take a hit to get the product off the shelf to get a new product on the shelf the publishers still get the same money as if it where marked at retail value of when it was shipped to the store as a pose to some huge sale price... Steam has to get approval because unlike physical stores they do not have to get rid of the old crap to make room for the new product and so if they are doing some 80% off sale they are still making a profit on it which means the developer/publisher is not making as much as if it where retail priced...

Steam sales are the publisher and developer pushing for some "please give us some money, making 100,000 sales at $5 profit is better then making 200 sales at $30 profit, we need to sell our product to people who may never spend retail price for it but are more then willing to spend $5-10 for it since that's the price of a fast food lunch now a days"

On top of that it gets the title out their again of games people may have forgotten about, where you push out a ton of sales that may or may not have happened eventually at retail value make some profit there but then get those people telling their friends going "Man I just got Dues Ex for $8 during the 24 hours it was on a great sale and played through it and its freakin awesome it is well worth $30 for go buy it you will not be displeased"

Point being unlike physical stores where they have sales to get rid of last months games to make shelf space for this months games, Steam sales are more of a form of marketing for publishers since it gets their name out there again for a game that has been out long enough to where the fans have moved on, but people who never saw it in the first place can get it and then get their friends to get it at retail price. Steam does not have to do sales where they take a lose on a product just to free up shelf space to gain more back from the "next big thing".

Edit: (deleted edit, since I summed up disjointed thoughts into a re edit)

(sorry if the edit doesn't make sense I know sometimes when my thoughts get rambled together and writen out of order it can many times be in a structure that doesn't read well, either way I was trying to say that because of a Steam sale I got reminded I had a great game and because I replayed said game it peaked my friends interest and so he will probably buy it at retail value since the sale has been long since over, hence reinforcing the fact that Steam sales can be great marketing)
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-04-21 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    You can share your games with a friends on steam. That means if he plays a different time than you are. Maybe one of the reasons some companies don't like Steam anymore?
    Uh...you can do that with any game on any digital distribution platform with the disk. And even though a MMO will launch through Steam, you still need to log into your account for the game. And I'm not sure what companies you're talking about, it's overwhelmingly the most popular digital distribution platform out there.

1. That's incredibly selfish of you. Turn off your general chat if new people bother you so much. The game doesn't revolve around you. If new people who didn't get into the game originally want to try it out when it hits a cheaper price point, more power to them.
    2. Guild Wars 2 will not be going on a $10 sale any time soon, I can promise you that.

TL;DR: stop being selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

New players are a great thing for any online game. You grow the community and ensure that the product receives updates from the developers because they continue to make money from the game. Prices come down over time, thats a fact of economics. When I bought my graphics card, it was £220. The same card is now £150. I dont resent the retailers nor the manufacturers for the price drop as its something I expected. You should also expect it to happen with software.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    Because general chat is good in any open server multi player game?

And you do realize that for Steam to put something on sales like 80% off they have to get publisher approval right? Reason brick and morter stores don't have to is because the publishers get the money up front and if the store wants to take a hit to get the product off the shelf to get a new product on the shelf the publishers still get the same money as if it where marked at retail value of when it was shipped to the store as a pose to some huge sale price... Steam has to get approval because unlike physical stores they do not have to get rid of the old crap to make room for the new product and so if they are doing some 80% off sale they are still making a profit on it which means the developer/publisher is not making as much as if it where retail priced...

Steam sales are the publisher and developer pushing for some "please give us some money, making 100,000 sales at $5 profit is better then making 200 sales at $30 profit, we need to sell our product to people who may never spend retail price for it but are more then willing to spend $5-10 for it since that's the price of a fast food lunch now a days"

On top of that it gets the title out their again of games people may have forgotten about, where you push out a ton of sales that may or may not have happened eventually at retail value make some profit there but then get those people telling their friends going "Man I just got Dues Ex for $8 during the 24 hours it was on a great sale and played through it and its freakin awesome it is well worth $30 for go buy it you will not be displeased"

Point being unlike physical stores where they have sales to get rid of last months games to make shelf space for this months games, Steam sales are more of a form of marketing for publishers since it gets their name out there again for a game that has been out long enough to where the fans have moved on, but people who never saw it in the first place can get it and then get their friends to get it at retail price. Steam does not have to do sales where they take a lose on a product just to free up shelf space to gain more back from the "next big thing".

Edit: (deleted edit, since I summed up disjointed thoughts into a re edit)

(sorry if the edit doesn't make sense I know sometimes when my thoughts get rambled together and writen out of order it can many times be in a structure that doesn't read well, either way I was trying to say that because of a Steam sale I got reminded I had a great game and because I replayed said game it peaked my friends interest and so he will probably buy it at retail value since the sale has been long since over, hence reinforcing the fact that Steam sales can be great marketing)
    Id like to appologise it seems you took all this effort to write a huge wall of text in regards to me post, but unfrotunatly the humour was lost in translation, im fully aware of steams policies I just wanted to poke fun at how bad L4D2 got because of the steam sales. again sorry you wrote this wall of text for nothing good day mate.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 10:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot1291 View Post
    1. That's incredibly selfish of you. Turn off your general chat if new people bother you so much. The game doesn't revolve around you. If new people who didn't get into the game originally want to try it out when it hits a cheaper price point, more power to them.
    2. Guild Wars 2 will not be going on a $10 sale any time soon, I can promise you that.

TL;DR: stop being selfish.
    Hmmm seems as though my witty humour has again left a sour taste in someones mouth. appologise im not selfish nore did I indeed for my post to seem it was legitimate. Just some harmless fun at steams expense didnt really mean any of what I said, anyways good day to you sir.

Id like to appologise it seems you took all this effort to write a huge wall of text in regards to me post, but unfrotunatly the humour was lost in translation, im fully aware of steams policies I just wanted to poke fun at how bad L4D2 got because of the steam sales. again sorry you wrote this wall of text for nothing good day mate.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 10:11 PM ----------

Hmmm seems as though my witty humour has again left a sour taste in someones mouth. appologise im not selfish nore did I indeed for my post to seem it was legitimate. Just some harmless fun at steams expense didnt really mean any of what I said, anyways good day to you sir.
    Sarcasm in text form doesn't not travel well, since there is no tone of voice. Your post basically read like "anyone who waits to buy a game until its affordable for them sucks and they should not ever play any game I play where there is a general chat unless they buy it the same day as me", there was no apparent hint of sarcasm in your post, it may have been there in how you where hearing it read, but with no tone of voice it didn't come out the way you meant.

Example: "Have a nice day" reads "have a nice day" but in saying "have a nice day" depending on tone can sound like "hope you go die in a vat of molten cheese arse"... tone makes a big difference in how things are taken, your "humor" may have sounded great in your head, but re read what you wrote in a monotone voice and see if it reads the same? What you meant might have been great, but what was read and what was meant probably didn't translate without dialect.
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-04-22 at 08:13 AM.

my witty humour
    Not really.

Anyways, I hope GW2 eventually goes on steam.
    I also hope there is some way to install it through steam even if you bought it previously from another source.
    I know that I suggested add non steam game, but it is usually easier if it's actually ON steam.

No Steam, no buy. Steam is an excellent digital distribution service, Valve is an excellent company, and I want to see them supported, especially in a time where so many other services made by companies I don't respect are cropping up.

My hype for GW2 has died down to the point where something as simple as not being on Steam will prevent me.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    In our case we get a "Can't connect to steam" error about 2 times a week. Steam sticks to off-line mode and won't come back on. We've seen quite a few forum posts about these issues. Some of them answered with: "we're working on it" replies, but most of them blatantly ignored.
    Hmmm... Hater?

Infracted.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-03 at 04:28 PM.

Yea, let's not keep this one going. 4 month old necro.

-- Fencers