Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

BW pushes Dynamic Events

Rakghoul infestation is currently "live" on Tattoine. 2 World Bosses - Urtagh and Trapjaw are up The action is going on in Outlaw's Den.
    Anyways it sounds cool, for more details check : http://www.oldrepublic.net/475-biowa...ic-events.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow, thats pretty interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

very cool, cant wait to check this out

How exactly are these events dynamic? Seems like they are regular linear quests that become active at random times and nothing more.

Sounds like Bioware is using GW2s terminology to make it sound like they have the first MMO to implement it, when in fact they just used the term, but not the idea behind it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    How exactly are these events dynamic? Seems like they are regular linear quests that become active at random times and nothing more.

Sounds like Bioware is using GW2s terminology to make it sound like they have the first MMO to implement it, when in fact they just used the term, but not the idea behind it.
    There was a crash land in Tatooine that released a virus that spread across and created 2 world bosses and opened up a quest line. It will progress as time goes on. That is a dynamic event.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    There was a crash land in Tatooine that released a virus that spread across and created 2 world bosses and opened up a quest line. It will progress as time goes on. That is a dynamic event.
    Sounds like a linear quest chain... What's dynamic about it exactly?

That is exactly what dynamic is. What do you think it means? Cause the definition is a : marked by usually continuous and productive activity or change <a dynamic city>. If the story is continually moving forward and changing, then it is dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    That is exactly what dynamic is. What do you think it means? Cause the definition is a : marked by usually continuous and productive activity or change <a dynamic city>. If the story is continually moving forward, then it is dynamic.
    People typically consider dynamic events as changing based on player action, not based on updates from the developer.

Regardless, I suppose it can still be considered dynamic, in the same way the Isle of Quel'Danas/Argent Tournament/Molten Front in World of Warcraft and the Carnival of the Ascended in Rift are.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    In video games, something dynamic is typically considered to change based on player action, not based on updates from the developer.

Regardless, I suppose it can still be considered dynamic, in the same way the Isle of Quel'Danas/Argent Tournament/Molten Front in World of Warcraft and the Carnival of the Ascended in Rift are.
    Pretty much. People just think things aren't dynamic because well... they don't really know what dynamic is.

Pretty much. People just think things aren't dynamic because well... they don't really know what dynamic is.
    Well, no... that's not really what I was getting at. But I guess that's your opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm running around infecting people and getting them to blow up on fleet. Pretty sure I'm changing the gameplay.

Putting the argument of semantics aside, this does sound like an awesome idea. It will be interesting to see how it progresses.

That is exactly what dynamic is. What do you think it means? Cause the definition is a : marked by usually continuous and productive activity or change <a dynamic city>. If the story is continually moving forward and changing, then it is dynamic.
    Progressing from point A to B to C is not dynamic. That's linear, and is exactly how every other quest in SWTOR and other old school MMOs behave. If I'm missing what the difference is, please enlighten me.

Dynamic would be having a system where at each point there would be different outcomes and paths that events can take depending on various criteria. With a linear quest, the outcome will always be the same, with a dynamic one, you never know.
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2012-04-15 at 07:03 PM.

I'm running around infecting people and getting them to blow up on fleet. Pretty sure I'm changing the gameplay.
    this sounds exactly like what happened in the pre-wrath event. and if i remember correctly that event pissed a lot of people off and is the reason why those type of things dont happen in WoW anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

And you doing that changes what exactly? Does the outcome of the quest change because you did that? Sounds like griefing more than anything else, and someone griefing you while you're doing a quest doesn't make the quest any more dynamic.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you doing that changes what exactly? Does the outcome of the quest change because you did that? Sounds like griefing more than anything else, and someone griefing you while you're doing a quest doesn't make the quest any more dynamic.
    Looks like someone is trying to find flaws in something that clearly represents a dynamic event. It is ever changing. The story will progress and more content will come out for this event.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Well, no... that's not really what I was getting at. But I guess that's your opinion.
    That's not really an opinion, it's English. If you think a word means something that it doesn't, and you use it in that false way, you're using it wrong.

Deleted
    Looks like someone is trying to find flaws in something that clearly represents a dynamic event. It is ever changing. The story will progress and more content will come out for this event.
    someone=butthurt GW2 fanboys, this is about TOR's events go back to your jesus mmo forum.

Event is a bit tame, was nice that it just sprung up with no announcment or reminder, hoping to see is sprerading to more planets

Progressing from point A to B to C is not dynamic. That's linear, and is exactly how every other quest in SWTOR and other old school MMOs behave. If I'm missing what the difference is, please enlighten me.

Dynamic would be having a system where at each point there would be different outcomes and paths that events can take depending on various criteria. With a linear quest, the outcome will always be the same, with a dynamic one, you never know.
    What makes it dynamic isn't what you do during it, what makes it dynamic is that the quests themselves change over time and won't always be there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    someone=butthurt GW2 fanboys, this is about TOR's events go back to your jesus mmo forum.

Event is a bit tame, was nice that it just sprung up with no announcment or reminder, hoping to see is sprerading to more planets
    It will spread. This is only the first phase. Its going to get out of control for sure.