Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    Who gives a shit. Your game sucks. GW2 is going to suck. WoW will be king forever. Get over what you think dynamic is and return to the one good game.
    http://i.imgur.com/Pb0Mv.jpg

<Mod Edit: Do not post or link to memes, report and move on>
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-04-15 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Litho View Post
    Unreal... a neat event is set off and on cue you have somebody shitting the thread up already over the use of the word "dynamic" of all things.
    Definitions do matter. If it's a plain old event it'll play out one way, if it's dynamic it'll play out a different way. If it's being called "dynamic" officially when we know it's not based on our experiences in other MMOs, that makes us trust the developer less in describing their future content. But I think the word dynamic here was applied by users and not the developer so it makes sense to correct the user so misinformation about what is happening isn't spread.

I haven't experienced it yet, but from what is being described it sounds like it's a regular MMO event. For me, a regular event is one which may have a random start time, but will progress the same way no matter what and has a specific end time. A dynamic event is something that can happen at any time and can play out a number of ways. I'd consider Rift's events more on the dynamic side and WoW's events as basic events. For those that consider this a dynamic event, what makes this different than a regular event?
    Last edited by Nellise; 2012-04-15 at 08:35 PM.

I loved the zombie invasion in WoW. This makes me very very happy. I also think this dynamic debate is silly. Technically the terms for these events has been player created. Bioware has not being announcing "dynamic events." They've been mostly vague and just refer to them as "events."
    Last edited by noahjam326; 2012-04-15 at 08:35 PM.

The main thing with the event is finding it, it's in the NE corner of the Dune Sea area. There's a ship-wreck with some area quests that pop up when you arrive.

North of the city is a jawa merchant who uses the dna samples you get as payment in exchange for color crystals, a rakghoul pet, "infected" companion customizations.

I haven't seen anything that says BW labeled this a "dynamic event" so really wish all the semantic arguing would find it's own thread to get locked rather than this one.

You can get infected if you lack the vaccine, merchants have the vaccine for 2,000 credits and it lasts 6 hours, so easy to opt out. You also get the vaccines during normal completion of the quests.

The infection progresses until you explode and can infect others. I think it's meant to keep the infection on tattoine, though folks hop over to the fleet with the fleet pass to spread the infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I haven't seen anything that says BW labeled this a "dynamic event" so really wish all the semantic arguing would find it's own thread to get locked rather than this one.
    Excuse me, but this thread is named "BW pushes Dynamic Events", so this is the thread for this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Dynamic just implies movement or force. In this case, the event moves forward, doesn't matter if the outcomes are completely set in stone. I suggest you pick up a dictionary.
    By that definition, wouldn't all quests be considered Dynamic? What sets these new quests apart enough to label them differently? Nothing, and that was my point. It's marketing BS to try and one up a competing product which will be launching shortly, without even offering the same experience. Anyone not already in the know about GW2 may think that this type of event is what to expect in GW2, and that they copied SWTOR's system, which are both incorrect assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Who defined the term as such, exactly? (If the answer is GW2, so help me God)
    Yes, Guild Wars 2 did. The same way the term "Raid" was defined in a specific way in previous MMOs, and has now become a standard term. If an MMO decided to add a feature called Raids to their game, but it didn't involve fairly large groups of people working together in an instanced Dungeon to defeat challenging enemies for loot, it would be very misleading.

Also, it's funny that with all the talk of the definition of the word Dynamic, I haven't seen any mention of "Capable of changing or being changed", "In a state of flux", "Not static", "Characterized by constant change", "Positive in attitude and full of energy and new ideas", etc, etc. It's almost as if people are selectively giving definitions to prove their point of view.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rad586 View Post
    Excuse me, but this thread is named "BW pushes Dynamic Events", so this is the thread for this discussion.
    Yeah thats a title some fan site used, biowares not used the term or the word, theyve not said anything about this event so all you GW2 fan boys are all safe in the knowledge your GW2 marketing shill is all intact go take your word "dynamic" and piss off back to the GW2 forums stop junking up this place with your garbage.

So us TOR players can discuss todays event in peace.

Let's keep things civil, drop the fan boy insults please. -Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-04-16 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    By that definition, wouldn't all quests be considered Dynamic? What sets these new quests apart enough to label them differently? Nothing, and that was my point. It's marketing BS to try and one up a competing product which will be launching shortly, without even offering the same experience. Anyone not already in the know about GW2 may think that this type of event is what to expect in GW2, and that they copied SWTOR's system, which are both incorrect assumptions.

Yes, Guild Wars 2 did. The same way the term "Raid" was defined in a specific way in previous MMOs, and has now become a standard term. If an MMO decided to add a feature called Raids to their game, but it didn't involve fairly large groups of people working together in an instanced Dungeon to defeat challenging enemies for loot, it would be very misleading.

Also, it's funny that with all the talk of the definition of the word Dynamic, I haven't seen any mention of "Capable of changing or being changed", "In a state of flux", "Not static", "Characterized by constant change", "Positive in attitude and full of energy and new ideas", etc, etc. It's almost as if people are selectively giving definitions to prove their point of view.
    Bioware never called it a dynamic event so you can jump down from that soap box. The title of the thread used the term as well as the news post on oldrepublic.net and that's pretty much it. Jesus Christo....

This is definitely not like the dynamic events in GW2, just a world event like in WoW with the zombie invasion in vanilla. Whoever labelled it as such should have just said it was a world event to not let the GW2 fans get their panties in a bunch (on the TOR sub-forum i should say :P) and say "nuh uh this isn't a dynamic event because GW2 does it like this"

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    Yeah thats a title some fan site used, biowares not used the term or the word, theyve not said anything about this event so all you GW2 fan boys are all safe in the knowledge your GW2 marketing shill is all intact go take your word "dynamic" and piss off back to the GW2 forums stop junking up this place with your garbage.

So us TOR players can discuss todays event in peace.
    Stop calling people that disagree with you a fanboy thank you very much.

For your information, I haven't bothered opting-in for beta for GW2, not even planning to buy it.
    Up till 2 months ago I've played both WoW and SWTOR, and I like both games.
    If you want to discuss this event, create a properly named thread for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The SWTOR vs GW2 bashing and the arguing about terminology needs to stop right now, especially where people are flaming each other.

Please, there's plenty to discuss about this topic without resorting to that.

So (correct me if I'm wrong) you're saying it's okay to derail this thread because you disagree with the terminology of the title? I guess I've heard of pettier things.

soo, after some time on tatooine I came here to have a look at how other people react to this amazing event, and all I see is stuff that makes me sad.

sigh, this was once the best swtor board (or rather, thread) on the internet, look what you have become

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    soo, after some time on tatooine I came here to have a look at how other people react to this amazing event, and all I see is stuff that makes me sad.

sigh, this was once the best swtor board (or rather, thread) on the internet, look what you have become
    Was derailed fairly early by someone who doesn't even care about SWTOR. Not surprised honestly.

Loved this "event" (hopefully I can call it an event without a fan of some other game saying that's their word) and hope to see BW work more with it and expand upon it.

Just watched the news on fleet so far ... reminded me of zombie infestation. I wouldn't mind BW pushing this style further.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Nay-sayers aside, this is a pretty cool event, dynamic or not.

The fact that it can spread to other world to encourage world exploration rather than sitting in the fleet is great, sure it might only be for a short amount of time overall, but still.

If BW can take this idea and run with it, it will certainly be a nice additional to the game to mix things up every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    Who gives a shit. Your game sucks. GW2 is going to suck. WoW will be king forever. Get over what you think dynamic is and return to the one good game.

<Mod Edit: Please post constructively>
    i loled

OT im excited to try this out later tonight it seems like it will be a good time
    IM GONNA PUNCH THAT DRAGON IN THE FACE!

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    That is exactly what dynamic is. What do you think it means? Cause the definition is a : marked by usually continuous and productive activity or change <a dynamic city>. If the story is continually moving forward and changing, then it is dynamic.
    So according to you wow has dynamic events aswell because they reskin key characters models from time to time. And that thing in swtor, they really has to stop marking things with labels which doesnt belong them and doesnt represent original view in any way. This is just typical quest go here kill X.

Doesn't really look dynamic. It progresses at the behest of the developers rather than in reaction to the game world, as far as I know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's just agree to disagree and call it "Dynamical Linear" because in the end who really cares as long as the people who are playing enjoy it.