Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181017

Okay so $115 starting out.

If you add 2 more fans, that probably gets to be about $140 ish.

Change all the fans to better fans that are also silent? That could start pushing to $170 ish.

Price:Performance, the NH-D14 and Silver Arrow will wreck the H100, however if all you care about is performance, then sure, by a few degrees, the H100 wins.

Let's stay on topic though, shall we?

Fact of the matter is, the IB CPUs are not going to run as cool as SB CPUs, by the sounds of it, no matter the cooling. If it sucks on air it will suck on water, just less.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Like I said in another thread, or was it this one? Idk. Waiting to buy stuff like this is a very intelligent move, because you never know if there will be a recall (Corsair SATA III SSDs, P67 Mobos)and then you get more reviews/information that is actually for real, not leaks/rumors.
    Yeah, I just googled the mobo I wanted to get and I found this:
    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?to...2414;topicseen

MSI z77 GD65 has RAM problems..fuuuuuuu

It's the only thread I could find though :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly it seems like MSI has a lot of issues with motherboards... stick to the companies who seem to know how to do motherboards. i.e. Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, EVGA.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Difference is the potential, yes sound is increased, but the H100 has a superior cooling potential if you equip 4 fans for example.
    The D14 or Silver Arrow are too close to call with the H100 with stock setup yes, but that's not really WHY we buy the H100 is it?

We want the raw cooling power needed for preventing a thermonuclear reaction in our PCs.
    Err, what. The difference between the NH-D14, Silver Arrow, Archon and the H100 are almost exclusively in the fans. Performance and scaling wise they're practically identical, yes?

The charts I've seen show the H100 to pull ahead by a whopping 1.3 degrees celsius or similar stuff. Which isn't much considering the fans' RPM is quite a bit higher. komplett.no lists NH-D14's fan speeds to go from 800-1300, and H100's fan speeds are listed at 1300-2500 RPM.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-04-15 at 08:04 PM.

Honestly it seems like MSI has a lot of issues with motherboards... stick to the companies who seem to know how to do motherboards. i.e. Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, EVGA.
    Well the named producers had quite a couple problems themselves on recent mainboards so...
    Anyways I was a bit worried how good the old 2011 sandy was going to keep up against the ivy but I see ....intel fixed that problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181017

Okay so $115 starting out.

If you add 2 more fans, that probably gets to be about $140 ish.

Change all the fans to better fans that are also silent? That could start pushing to $170 ish.

Price:Performance, the NH-D14 and Silver Arrow will wreck the H100, however if all you care about is performance, then sure, by a few degrees, the H100 wins
    Add more, as in Push/pull + push/pull? Won't really affect airflow more, although static pressure. The fans are reasonably good to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    The charts I've seen show the H100 to pull ahead by a whopping 1.3 degrees celsius or similar stuff. Which isn't much considering the fans' RPM is quite a bit higher. komplett.no lists NH-D14's fan speeds to go from 800-1300, and H100's fan speeds are listed at 1300-2500 RPM.
    Pretty much.

Intel has been having a few issues with both the new arc of SB-E in 32nm and 22nm IB if these numbers are indeed true.
    AMD has been having troubles with their shrink to 32nm.

I think we are getting too close to hitting the cap of how much performance you gain through shrinks purely, unless they change how transistors works.
    IMO, they should've stuck with changing arcitechture a few more times per shrink, because soon, we'll only be having architectural improvements.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get an IB motherboard, and stick an i5-2500K/i7-2600K in there, it will do better in the updated mobo from what charts have shown (at least a little bit) plus more and newer features.

Or go all IB if you want. However I think I'd just stick with the SB CPU, based on what we're seeing so far.
    Won't work with PCI Express 3.0 though, which is why some people might want an Ivy Bridge processor. You are pretty much screwed since Sandy Bridge doesn't run PCI-E 3.0 at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Won't work with PCI Express 3.0 though, which is why some people might want an Ivy Bridge processor. You are pretty much screwed since Sandy Bridge doesn't run PCI-E 3.0 at all.
    Give me a reason you actually need the bandwidth of PCI-E 3.0 and I'll admit defeat.
    "A flower.

Triple or quad SLI/Cfx. Since even slots running 4x mode when active will be the same bandwidth as PCIe 2.0 8x, which was sufficient. That's about it tho, and I have to wonder why you'd have triple or quad GPUs without investing into 2011 CPU anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are mobos with PCI-E 2.0 that have enough slots running 8x that that reason is hardly worth it.
    "A flower.

There are mobos with PCI-E 2.0 that have enough slots running 8x that that reason is hardly worth it.
    I've already tried to make a point of this, but if I need to reiterate: If people are doing it for triple and quad GPUs there should be a pretty big budget involved, and I'd think they'd rather prefer the enthusiast platform (LGA 2011).

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    Hmm, people are apparantly also saying IB OC's worse on air than SB.
    While I'm going to use a H100 anyway, this is till shit news
    Rumour was that someone overclocked an IB @ 4.7 with an H100 cooling and was still seeing 93 degrees celsius.
    There must be no retirement with our backs to the wall, And believing in the justice of our cause, Each one of us must fight on to the end.

We determine the guilty, We decide the punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I've already tried to make a point of this, but if I need to reiterate: If people are doing it for triple and quad GPUs there should be a pretty big budget involved, and I'd think they'd rather prefer the enthusiast platform (LGA 2011).
    All preliminary benchs show 2011 to be only marginally better than the i5 3570k , which would seem the i7 would be a step or 2 ahead. In all reality the height @ which you can overclock shouldnt be a gamer or normal pc user's mindset when buying building or upgrading a pc. The "EASE" at which the platform can be overclocked could be relevant, but at this point the Fx-8150 has settled into being =/= with the i5 seeing decent multithreaded performance above the 2500k and seeing just a bit less single threaded performance than the 2500k, few more dollars still but it wasn't as bad as the Fanboy review critics made it out to be. Now because they are dreadfully close in comparison the i5-2500k is the better choice because of price. Taking a look at this situation coming to light we could be hearing some bad feedback because of fanboys or AMD wanting something to trash on but any performance above stock 2500k would be an improvement, which means more doors and windows are open for even more improvement in the second lineup of IB cpu's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, second lineup of IB CPUs being....?
    "A flower.

Wait, second lineup of IB CPUs being....?
    Unverified but unless Intels going out of buisness they have something coming out not long from now, especially if the rumors are true then they already have something up the sleeve hopefully more dynamic than a higher base clocking sku

10+ Year Old Account
    The only next "generation-wise" CPU's coming are Ivy Bridge-E for LGA 2011 and then Haswell early 2013 on a new socket.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'm happy I jumped on Sandy when I did, albeit with a less than spectacular mobo, but hey, none of us buy perfect of everything for our first computer build. ;p
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    The only next "generation-wise" CPU's coming are Ivy Bridge-E for LGA 2011 and then Haswell early 2013 on a new socket.
    Source?

Last I saw, Ivy Bridge-E is cancelled for at least until June '13 (leaked unconfirmed).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he was just saying that as a "for what we know/have seen"... but yeah, we'll see how long the SB-E chips last as the enthusiast level before Intel puts out something new, are there any plans for like a 3970/80/90X? I've not seen anything.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Source?

Last I saw, Ivy Bridge-E is cancelled for at least until June '13 (leaked unconfirmed).
    If that's true then Haswell will come out before/same time as Ivy Bridge-E lol.. Intel plans as well to combine a single socket for Haswell to include both Extremes and Mainstream CPU's.

Haswell Info:
    http://hothardware.com/News/Intel-De...rabook-Future/
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-ha...013/14810.html