Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Come Haswell I'd speculate in them not doing an enthusiast socket anymore. A special xeon-socket, sure, but not any "i7-extreme" or similar. It seems to be a not-so-lucrative market. Or is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Come Haswell I'd speculate in them not doing an enthusiast socket anymore. A special xeon-socket, sure, but not any "i7-extreme" or similar. It seems to be a not-so-lucrative market. Or is it?
    Yeah, pretty sure Intel intends to combine both enthusiast/mainstream as one socket under LGA 1150.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5078/i...50-for-desktop

Depends on AMD, I'd say. If AMD leaves the mid-high-range platforms as well, I think they won't bother.
    Because their midrange would be de facto the higher range, and just release extreme versions within the socket itself.

I think it's been shown that their mid-range platforms can keep up with their highest-end as well.

I think ~<1% of intel CPUs sold are s2011.

---------- Post added 2012-04-15 at 11:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    If that's true then Haswell will come out before/same time as Ivy Bridge-E lol.. Intel plans as well to combine a single socket for Haswell to include both Extremes and Mainstream CPU's.

Haswell Info:
    http://hothardware.com/News/Intel-De...rabook-Future/
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-ha...013/14810.html
    I'm more thinking that Ivy Bridge-E won't be out at all.
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181017

Okay so $115 starting out.

If you add 2 more fans, that probably gets to be about $140 ish.

Change all the fans to better fans that are also silent? That could start pushing to $170 ish.

Price:Performance, the NH-D14 and Silver Arrow will wreck the H100, however if all you care about is performance, then sure, by a few degrees, the H100 wins.

Let's stay on topic though, shall we?

Fact of the matter is, the IB CPUs are not going to run as cool as SB CPUs, by the sounds of it, no matter the cooling. If it sucks on air it will suck on water, just less.
    As i said, no-one buys the H100 just to be cheaper off, it's for cooling potential.

I've recently actually done some testing between the NH-D14 and the H100 in a HAF932 case, the NH-D14 armed with 2 * 4250RPM Scythe GTs and the H100 by 4.

Managed to OC an I7-2700K to 4,9GHz and there was a difference (same CPU btw) between them of about 7 degrees C on the max. (79 vs. 72).
    However i have no proof of this as i only did this on a rig i built for a mate which i no longer have (i do have the H100 still though, since it was my own).

It's still related to how fast you can draw air away from the heatsink, and as much as you dislike it, when going for max performance, we don't really mind the pennies.

Price:Performance, yes it'd be better, but like that 600BHP car you bought, you didn't buy it for the Price:Performance ratio, you bought it for power.

It is on topic aswell!

That the CPUs may suck that'll come out, yes possibly, but i'd rather wait and see for more actual reviews then some who managed to get samples etc.
    Broader spectrum is better to compare with.

Agreed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    [/COLOR]I'm more thinking that Ivy Bridge-E won't be out at all.
    Yeah, that's definitely a possibility that is likely to happen.

For AMD, they have already planned out 3 more mainstream processor releases with the next being Piledriver but I'd imagine they'll likely only make it passed 2 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    As i said, no-one buys the H100 just to be cheaper off, it's for cooling potential.
    [Etc]
    This is a joke. If you're talking about going nuts for cooling potential with little or no heed to cost then you're not gonna buy the H100.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely a possibility that is likely to happen.

For AMD, they have already planned out 3 more mainstream processor releases with the next being Piledriver but I'd imagine they'll likely only make it passed 2 lol.
    Yeah, speaking of which, have we heard anything about Piledriver? I'd be interested to see how AMD's 22nm offerings fair in comparison.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yeah, speaking of which, have we heard anything about Piledriver? I'd be interested to see how AMD's 22nm offerings fair in comparison.
    AMD stated 10% per core performance but that's about it.

Guys. Cooling discussions would benefit if they are just a little more relevant to the 3rd generation Core-series.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Been reading some more threads and tests on the 3770K and damn it looks bad :/. Well, decent until overclocking, but feels like enthusiasts are going to scout for Sandy Bridge processors in the future. Or I'm being too over-pessimistic.

My htpc-overkill isn't going to be overclocked anyway so I guess an IB will be good for it still. Meh.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2231710
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/466...w/index11.html

The 28nm ATI/Nvidia die shrinks have already been a disappointment. If this is true, it will be another big letdown. I hope these issues are sorted out for Haswell next year with a more mature process + architecture designed from ground up to use the new transistors.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    28nm is a half-node of 32nm and only shrinks the transistors rather than the actual die area, so it's a bit of a different situation than 22nm+trigate transistors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    The 28nm ATI/Nvidia die shrinks have already been a disappointment. If this is true, it will be another big letdown. I hope these issues are sorted out for Haswell next year with a more mature process + architecture designed from ground up to use the new transistors.
    Been a disappointment? Anything specific you're referring to?

Did we get a reason why they are not lsited with a 95W TDP instead of the 77 announced.....and is it treu they are bad Overclockers compared to 2500k and 2700k?

edit: so fucking glad I built my rig with a 2500k last fall, waiting would have just dissapointed me
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2012-04-16 at 01:12 AM.

Again, this thread is not about the relative strength in between coolers. Could we perhaps get back to the third generation Core-processors and possibly with how efficient cooling would be on those? Thanks!
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I'm more thinking that Ivy Bridge-E won't be out at all.
    Likely - they somewhat screwed that up anyways. Lagging behind so much architecture wise on the "enthusiast platform" seems absurdly counter intuitive. It was already sort of embarrassing with the sb-e but now I guess they had a nice break since the ivy seems to be quite underwhelming.
    Anyways there is still a little hope for a better stepping - from what I read between the lines the engineering samples have been a bit better than the current stepping that made it into retail.

Deleted
    Been reading some more threads and tests on the 3770K and damn it looks bad :/. Well, decent until overclocking, but feels like enthusiasts are going to scout for Sandy Bridge processors in the future. Or I'm being too over-pessimistic.

My htpc-overkill isn't going to be overclocked anyway so I guess an IB will be good for it still. Meh.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2231710
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/466...w/index11.html
    "Heat, on the other hand, isn't something that the new Ivy Bridge is dealing well with.

We can see that temperatures are higher than our other platforms at both idle and load and you can see load temperatures really sky rocket when overclocked.

This isn't bad contact or anything either, we've seen this out of multiple Ivy Bridge based processors on multiple boards. Talking to partners as well, we see the results are consistent."

Noes!
    I guess these results will also apply to the 3570k?

Hm, this may throw a wrench in my "Wait for Ivy Bridge mobile processors before buying a new laptop since they should generate less heat/use less power than Sandy Bridge mobile processors" theory (I know they aren't the same processors as the 3770k... but I'll bet if the desktop processors are having issues the mobile ones will be in a similar boat)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    Hm, this may throw a wrench in my "Wait for Ivy Bridge mobile processors before buying a new laptop since they should generate less heat/use less power than Sandy Bridge mobile processors" theory (I know they aren't the same processors as the 3770k... but I'll bet if the desktop processors are having issues the mobile ones will be in a similar boat)
    Doubt it. They don't seem to generate more heat really, nor consume more power. In fact it consumes quite a bit less power than the 2600K. The problem seems to be heat dissipation, that the heat it generates is hard to quickly pick up and get away from there.

Though it could be an issue for the small heatsinks in some laptops, maybe.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah nobody is overvolting/overclocking IVB in laptops...it won't be an issue at all.