Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need some help making gold

Hey,

So I've recently been trying to obtain large amounts of gold but have been unsuccessful. I have 525 skinning, alchemy, JC and Enchanting. I do use the JC shuffle but that doesn't warrant large amounts of gold. Alchemy is not the gold machine it once was, at least not on my server and few of my enchants sell, even ones like power torrent (and it's cheapest on AH).

I do make some gold but not very much.

Any help? I'm xmute master for what it's worth.

For a general idea of my economy, twilight jasmine's go for 120g a stack and other 85 herbs go for 60-140g a stack. Inferno ruby and cuts go for 150-250g, flasks go for 110g and power torrent goes for 2k gold.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly this late in a patch (4.3) there's not loads of gold to be made anywhere; the start of a patch is where you'll see the highest margins and quickest moving volumes because people are getting the most gear, doing the most progression, gemming the most, enchanting the mots, crafting the most... so they need to buy a lot of stuff; in addition, it's when you'll see JP and VP gear cost the most.

At this point the markets are pretty well saturated by sellers, and so many people have excess JP and VP that the prices of gear have dropped a lot... there aren't that many DS BoE epics so that market's more tenuous.

This doesn't mean you can't make gold, of course - it just means that in the saturated markets margins will be lower, and you have to expend more effort to keep your goods at the top of the list on the AH.

Personally I've found that my gem income is at best a third what it was at the start of 4.3, but it's still a considerable amount for the time I put into it (mostly in epic cuts now).

I'd be patient, keep an eye on prospective markets and see if there's a better product to be in, but don't expect miracles right now.

For the future, however, since you're a gatherer - consider stockpiling stuff that re-rollers are going to want quickly for their new MoP toons. Check the wow-professions lists and gather up large amounts of stuff (like obsidium ore - needed; elementium ore - not needed as much once MoP hits; pyrite ore - not needed at all; similarly gathering WoLK and BC and Classis ores and herbs will be very useful then). Stockpile and make a killing the first few weeks in MoP.

YMMV. Low-pop servers have much more volatile markets because fewer people are posting on AH, so there can be much larger margins to be had... though there are also fewer buyers.

Well I managed to sell a good amount of stuff today. Around 110 items, roughly 8k gold. Not much, but better than nothing.

What irks me most is how my server has AH campers. I had to almost crash the inferno ruby market just to make sales. I was selling bold and brilliant cuts for 130g a piece. Luckily, I got lucky on my prospecting and xmuting and had about 50 raw inferno rubies so I did make profit.

Is there a certain item I should be looking at to sell and is there anything more than the JC shuffle that will warrant good amounts of gold?

Just how much gold do you need? You claim your not making much then you turn around and state you had 8K in sales. Really, what level of gold do you want?

When I had my original account deleted by Blizzard; per my request as it was the only way to have them permanently delete all CC information; I was pulling 25k a week without trying. I came to quickly find out that a quarter million, half million, or more gold, does not mean much. Hell it can be hard to give it away. I dropped over 100k on more than one guild just for the fun of it.

Anyway, having dug up an old account I had forgotten about I did the Scroll of Resurrection for the instant 80. Herbalism is one of the professions I chose. In nine days I went from 75 gold (seventy five!) which they give you to 18k. Not exactly rocket science. Things sell. Things sell faster if your not stupid greedy. Gold piles up if you don't waste it.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

As other people have said, this late in the expac is a bit hard but I have found that farming some of the lower level green sets and selling them on the AH can turn a bit of a profit, some of the "sexy" outfits go anywhere from 500g to 3k each

I can recommend skinning and TG items

There's a lot of people of people who are already preparing for MoP by getting the last profs on their alts finished and such and leatehr has been a considerable seller for me. Hopefully people wont realise how much doing the prof quests at darkmoon saves you...

TG items are difficult to farm effectively, but being awake on AH and out in the world (especially if you grind old instances for gear, cash etc) can yield great cash gains. I've sold several full sets for instance Blood Knight or Conqueror's plate.

Ok since that one good day with 8k gold I've since been getting much less. However, I'm aware I can't compete with people who literally camp the AH 24/7. I've been playing the AH very little just to make some pocket gold but I guess this late in the expac it's extremely hard to make lots of gold.

I'll wait till MoP to hit gold cap, hoping to have another cataclysm episode where I earn 90% of my current gold within the first week due to massive inflation.

If you are not making any gold with the shuffle you are doing something wrong. Try and read up a bit on how to do it properly and i am sure that it will get to be profitable.

Now in case you weren't doing the DE part of the shuffle you might have been buying the materials you were using for your enchanting so you had lower profits, so if you weren't DEing rings and necklaces do so.

You also said that you had skinning, so if you don't mind skinning for leather ( usually the price of leather is quite high nowadays ) you might want to hit up the best spot for farming leather and dragon scales, and the reason why i'm calling it the best spot is because with every kill you get a guaranteed a minimum of 1g per kill.

I don't want to make more links because then the reply would be more or less an advertisement and it might be removed, but check those two links and poke around there as i am sure it will provide you with additional information and ideas. You also might want to check the blogroll while you are there to find even more blogs like that one that have some good info on how to make gold.

If you have a pesky undercutter, get an addon that will let you set the undercut margin, and just undercut them by a copper, and list a couple of gems at a time, especially if the other person has large quantities up.

Most of the time they will just buy you out, rather than have to either repost a bunch of gems, or undercut themselves and risk losing their posting fee.

I haven't really been trying to make any money, and after spending about 50-60k on a couple of gear pieces since 4.3 dropped, I'm up to almost 200k, just from selling random transmog greens and the occasional pile of crafting materials I'm not stock piling for Mop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skinning + Treasure Finding potion + Deepholm, Pale Roost = 3k/hr

Deleted
    Soz dude but you moan about campers, they are just selling their stuff like you. Look for some of the threads on effective ways to deal with campers.

Tinkykong you would get massacred with that strategy and it indicates how much you dont understand. Only the idiot puts large numbers up. They arent an undercutter, but instead a volume seller. One of the main enemies of an undercutter is another undercutter, then it becomes a war of attrition. AH are very competitive due to addons, these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can provide us with your Server, we can use theunderminejournal to look around your economy
    YouTube Channel. TTTT
    "Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go went to do look more like."
    "just cuz u can't comrepehdnable the situational understand in to they of those that spoked to the point in understandable them and then comprehend what their said to them and until then dont spoke."

I would take alot of the advice given with a grain of salt for example the guys that claim they pull 20k a day doing herbing etc? Literally live and breath the game, the best way to make money is learn the auction house well find what sales well and worry about getting your hands on that. I've made 40k without leaving SW by buying cheap ore that people spent their time mining and prospecting inferno rubies.

Enchanting materials (other than Maelstroms) seem to be on shortage (at least on 2 realms I play at) and their price is growing accordingly.

Crafting JC rings/amulets is a pretty profitable way of creating items for D/E (check your AH and don't forget to add the cost of jeweler's settings)

Make a D/E macro so you can watch a movie or something while you D/E, it's the most time consuming part of it.

---------- Post added 2012-04-19 at 12:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    If you have a pesky undercutter, get an addon that will let you set the undercut margin, and just undercut them by a copper, and list a couple of gems at a time, especially if the other person has large quantities up.
    Deep undercutting works better than 1c undercutting, it's more likely to be bought by the competition and it's a quick turnaround of your gold. Just do the right math so you're still making a healthy profit (20% is my minimum otherwise I'd just stock up and avoid listing for a few days, most AH campers get bored pretty easily if there is no fierce competition)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tal72 View Post
    Hey,

So I've recently been trying to obtain large amounts of gold but have been unsuccessful. I have 525 skinning, alchemy, JC and Enchanting. I do use the JC shuffle but that doesn't warrant large amounts of gold. Alchemy is not the gold machine it once was, at least not on my server and few of my enchants sell, even ones like power torrent (and it's cheapest on AH).

I do make some gold but not very much.

Any help? I'm xmute master for what it's worth.

For a general idea of my economy, twilight jasmine's go for 120g a stack and other 85 herbs go for 60-140g a stack. Inferno ruby and cuts go for 150-250g, flasks go for 110g and power torrent goes for 2k gold.
    This is the time in an expansion to be farming low level crafting materials (material from humanoids in particular). When MoP hits and people are power-leveling their Pandas, they will pay top dollar for crafting materials. Likewise, Outlands and Northrend herbs and ore will rise in price again.

When MoP drops, if you don't care about being a realm first anything, there is TONS of money to be made with gathering skills. Ignore the game and the grind and strike out into the new zones to start gathering. You will make a killing for about 3 weeks.

Right now, there's not really away to make tons of money. The markets and demand for almost everything begins to dry up as everyone starts to bide their time before xpac. You might still make some money on epic gems and enchanting mats, but eventually, even those will dry up. We're past the point of serious players with serious money wanting to spend it on stuff that will be obsolete soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGamer View Post
    Deep undercutting works better than 1c undercutting, it's more likely to be bought by the competition and it's a quick turnaround of your gold. Just do the right math so you're still making a healthy profit (20% is my minimum otherwise I'd just stock up and avoid listing for a few days, most AH campers get bored pretty easily if there is no fierce competition)
    I've never found this to be the case on my realm, if there is 10-20 gems posted by one person, and I undercut by 1 copper or 100g, they will buy it out just to maintain their price hold.

This is kind of dead on my realm though, gem prices have really bottomed out, was able to buy an uncut Lightstone for 88g, and inferno rubies are selling for 30-40g.

Also, is it normal to have to continue posting major lvl 85 enchants such as lava walker and power torrent so they sell? I always have the lowest price for them by at least 200 gold (The market is kinda dead on these enchants selling wise) and it takes at minimum 5 12hr auction posts for them to sell.

Also, I am doing the JC shuffle but it is the down time for the expac so not much sells first of all (for all professions) and I only make some gold off of gems when I out-camp the other AH camper.

I'll just wait till MoP to cash in as everyone has gotten their gear and everything for the most part and are just prepping for MoP so it's all dried up.

And my realm is Eonar (horde side if that matters) so you can use the underminejournal.

Deleted
    All servers are different.

The activity is dying down.I am still making enough sales to make it worthwile, but if you think listing things 5 x a day is a lot, then believe me it cab get insanely competitive. Im surprised you just arent undercut. Lava and powerT are still good sellers for me. I would suspect:

1. you arent doing it in bulk.
    2. Not enough diversity, ah study.

How much gold are you making each week and how many sales?

sale everything you dont use and run the auction house.. that's the easiest way or .. run firelands and raid finder all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal72 View Post

And my realm is Eonar (horde side if that matters) so you can use the underminejournal.
    In all honesty, if its Eonar EU, then you wont be able to make as much in general, as the population there isnt as good as it once was.

However as other people have suggested, between now and MoP you likely wont get alot of gold being made, its best, if you require the gold, to either wait til MoP and gather the first few weeks (as already suggested)

Failing that, have you considered levelling an alt... with any gathering profession(s) you dont have... Im saying this due to the fact, that i recently levelled my druid from 70-85 making 10k in the process (didnt even have a profession, just selling random stuff i picked up).