Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Video card gets hot while playing

My evga GTX 465 superclocked card gets really really hot while playing. I've seen it get to 80C on occasions. The fan is going crazy trying to cool it down.

I know warcraft doesn't use much GPU power but I never had a problem while playing it. I think the hottest was around 70C during a 25man boss fight.

I play at 1920x1080, everything on max except shadows. What setting(s) would I turn down to help with the GPU usage without sacrificing too much graphics quality?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BodycountQQ View Post
    My evga GTX 465 superclocked card gets really really hot while playing. I've seen it get to 80C on occasions. The fan is going crazy trying to cool it down.

I know warcraft doesn't use much GPU power but I never had a problem while playing it. I think the hottest was around 70C during a 25man boss fight.

I play at 1920x1080, everything on max except shadows. What setting(s) would I turn down to help with the GPU usage without sacrificing too much graphics quality?
    I dunno how hot Nvidia cards top out at, but new Radeon ones top around 105 Celsius. Running in the 80 degree range isn't usually considered hot if you're running a game.

drivers bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    drivers bro.
    296.10. The latest I'm pretty sure.

well make sure the fan is actually spinning. or if you are overclocking at all?
    also i mean those might be real temps.
    i dont really know how strenuous D3 on utra really is.
    Maybe the 465gtx is under powered for ultra settings? or you have awful air flow in your unit?

My 560 doesnt really go over 60C under OC when i play beta on ultra

10+ Year Old Account
    The 400 Nvidia series is known to run very hot, its normal to have it at 80C, my old 480 ran at 85-90C in most heavy games. I think the limit to the 400 series is 96-97C.
    You don´t have to worry with 80C.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Have you tried limiting your fps? If I limit my fps to 80 in game, it ends up only using 30-40% of my 570, which keeps it way under 50. If I let it cap out and go up in the 150+ range then it will fully load the card.

Deleted
    Most of people having issue with Video Card heating are usually not using vsync and as a result the card is always trying to produce as much fps as possible.

It doesn't matter if your not regulary at 60 fps, because even if there are few times when you reach 60 fps, it will give time for your card to cool down.
    (like if you are in town, or don't move much for a sec, or open your inventory).
    Last edited by mmoc5b799d32f5; 2012-04-16 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    The 400 Nvidia series is known to run very hot, its normal to have it at 80C, my old 480 ran at 85-90C in most heavy games. I think the limit to the 400 series is 96-97C.
    You don´t have to worry with 80C.
    was interested so i read up a bit and it confirmed what he said.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...uto-fan-speeds

Helped me out. My fan using the latest nvidia drivers wouldnt spin at 100% until the card reached like 85c.

Also keep in mind the excessive heat has to go somewhere, heat rises and your cpu is above it.

even though mine keeps quite cool, i find the benefits above 30fps barely noticeable.
    thats why i limit all my games except first person shooters to 30 frames per sec

you can also try to reduce some high usage graphic settings.. most of them you dont notice a thing :P

good luck!
    Last edited by guser; 2012-04-16 at 08:08 PM.

Deleted
    You have to clean the heat sink and the fan, I'm guessing it's full of dust. If that doesn't work you might have to reapply thermal paste on the card.

running a Game at 150+ FPS is just a total waste of your GPU's lifespan. The human eye cannot see a difference past 27 FPS. Running a game at even 60 is a waste really. Cap your FPS down, your GPU will never hit full load, and will not get so hot.

80C is actually quite hot for a GPU. Make sure the fan in your GPU is clean of dust, also make sure no other cards like a soundcard or a network card is directly below your GPU as it may limit airflow. Also make sure your computer case has a fan for letting fresh air in on the front, and one turned the other way for letting air out on the back.

This should probably be in the computer forum though.

Edit: Someone above me mentioned that you can not notice the difference above 27FPS, but that is not true.
    Source
    Last edited by Omican; 2012-04-17 at 11:35 AM.

Just check for the driver updates. I guess there are new updates available and this will help you resolve the heating problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Omican View Post
    80C is actually quite hot for a GPU. Make sure the fan in your GPU is clean of dust, also make sure no other cards like a soundcard or a network card is directly below your GPU as it may limit airflow. Also make sure your computer case has a fan for letting fresh air in on the front, and one turned the other way for letting air out on the back.

This should probably be in the computer forum though.

Edit: Someone above me mentioned that you can not notice the difference above 27FPS, but that is not true.
    Source
    Disregard this. 80C is well within operating tolerances for a modern GPU under load.

Make sure you're forcing fan to 100%, if you're using adaptive or power saving cooling control, it will keep it running a little hotter. Like I said, though, 80C is expected from such a card when air-cooled. over 100C is what the manufacturer suggests to avoid because of long-term damage to the unit, but they're designed to operate safely at such temperatures.

Again, make sure the fan is pushing at 100%. If your fan is at 100% and you're still above 90C, the fan is probably malfunctioning or the heatsinks on the unit aren't applied properly, which can happen sometimes. Then you can get the manufacturer to replace it (but they'll usually tell you that those temperatures are still perfectly safe, which they are) or perform aftermarket replacements yourself (which is pretty easy, actually).

Under load, you're unlikely to ever get one of those cards under 75C with air alone. My old stock 470 sounded like a jet with 100% fan and was at about 88C under load. That's normal for that series of cards, they ran exceptionally hot. Even when I switched to water, it stayed above 50C idle and 60C full load. Compared to my current (OC'd to the moon) GTX580 which idles at 30C and loads at 43C (hottest I've gotten it under prolonged load), you can see it was 20C hotter on average. 400 series are just hot, but they are designed to run at that temperature.

Basically, don't worry. That might seem hot, and hotter than you're used to it being, but other than the fan noise being annoying, there's no need for concern.

Do some research into cooling that card, and you'll confirm what I'm telling you.

Basically it's working about normal, just make sure you're forcing 100% fan when you're putting load on it. The newer nVidia drivers like to use adaptive fan control, and because of the fact that that series of card runs stable at 85C, the fan basically will never get to 100% under adaptive mode. Force it to 100%, your temps will drop to something that will seem less high to you, and you'll hear a loud WHIRRRRRRRRRRR as the fans do their job I always ran my fans at 100% on that series, because the heat (while, again, perfectly normal for that series) annoyed me because it was so high. It's what caused me to make the switch to sweet, quiet water

But yeah. It's fine. if you want the temps to go down just so you'll feel better, I understand. Just force 100% fan in the nVidia control panel, and all will be well.

Same problem here. I'm playing in a laptop. It gets really really hot that my computer turns off.

Any suggestion to fix it?

My post was actually just quoted from the Nvidia website.
    Full quote:
    "Graphics card temperatures typically range from 40°C to 90°C. Performance class graphics cards can reach high temperatures under heavy load. The heatsink and fan assemblies on the graphics cards are designed to pull the heat away from the graphics card. A case which does not have proper airflow can prevent the heat from escaping the graphics card. Adding fans to your case which pulls cool air from the front of your case and drags hot air from the back of your case can help reduce the temperatures of your components inside of your PC.

Also, the fans on graphics cards can collect dust over a period of time inhibiting it's ability to cool the GPU. It's good practice to occasionally check and gently clean your PC components."

While I didn't say 80c was terrible, I did say it's quite hot for a GPU. If you check the steps mentioned I'm sure you can shave off atleast 10c off that, which should atleast make you feel abit more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    running a Game at 150+ FPS is just a total waste of your GPU's lifespan. The human eye cannot see a difference past 27 FPS. Running a game at even 60 is a waste really. Cap your FPS down, your GPU will never hit full load, and will not get so hot.
    yes, I heard CS is playable at 27 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by bloody251 View Post
    Same problem here. I'm playing in a laptop. It gets really really hot that my computer turns off.

Any suggestion to fix it?
    Don't play with it sitting on your LAP, really it blocks the heat from escaping from the vents on the bottom of the laptop, use it on a desk. Use some canned air to try and get the dust out, or if you want to get fancy break down the whole laptop and clean it of all dust. Laptops are dust hogs since they have a lot smaller ventilation