Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

NC Soft - Scared to buy this game because of them

I've played a couple of NC Soft games... Lineage 2, City of Heroes and Tabula Rasa, and they were all rather disappointing,

City Of Heroes - quests were repetitive and grindy,

Lineage 2 - grind-a-thon game, customer complaints went unanswered for years

Tabula Rasa - To this day I still cannot believe I bought this game for $50... absolutely terrible game

Aion - I have heard that this game is a lot like lineage 2... grind, grind, grind

-So that being said, anyone else concerned that such a terrible company like NC Soft who has for years put out lackluster games is suddenly gonna get it right with guild wars 2?

NCsoft has had next to no influence on the development of this game. NCsoft is the publisher, and they have given Arenanet immense freedom to create the game as they see it, even to the point of not even knowing the expected release date. (though, this close to the release they probably do now though)

Arenanet did not make any of those titles /thread

NCsoft is not the developer, only the publisher. ArenaNet is the developer of Guild Wars 2.

Deleted
    I have more concerns about there service and quality. In Aion they where running around with a giant banhammer what just looked like a bot but in the end it where just a regular player that grinded his way to max level (because there was no other way ^^).

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest flaw aside from you talking about the publisher is not researching your games. Aion and Lineage II are known to be grinders.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk333 View Post
    I've played a couple of NC Soft games... Lineage 2, City of Heroes and Tabula Rasa, and they were all rather disappointing,

City Of Heroes - quests were repetitive and grindy,

Lineage 2 - grind-a-thon game, customer complaints went unanswered for years

Tabula Rasa - To this day I still cannot believe I bought this game for $50... absolutely terrible game

Aion - I have heard that this game is a lot like lineage 2... grind, grind, grind

-So that being said, anyone else concerned that such a terrible company like NC Soft who has for years put out lackluster games is suddenly gonna get it right with guild wars 2?
    Publisher =/= Developer, or something like that..

Besides, you're probably to a 99% chance just trolling knowing well enough already what kind of reaction this would get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like it has already been stated, Guild Wars is by ArenaNet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arenanet is the Developer.
    NCsoft is the Publisher, the main thing I believe they will have control over is the Real Life Cash Shop, they did it with all the other games, and did a good job with it as well.
    >>This is where I'd put a witty quote for my Signature<<
    IF I HAD ONE

Deleted
    Just as en example to all that's been said, EA didn't make Mass Effect or Battlefield and Activision isn't doing upkeep on World of Warcraft. They're just publishers.

Don't worry, NCSoft has virtually nothing to do with GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Publisher =/= Developer, or something like that..

Besides, you're probably to a 99% chance just trolling knowing well enough already what kind of reaction this would get.
    Too many people throw around the word trolling on these forums, nobody is pathetic enough to post such a topic with such a minimum reward of lulz. He most likely has no idea about GW2 like most people who post here.

This is comparable to being afraid to try Blacklight: Retribution just because it's publisher is known for developing and publishing countless Free2Play, generic, Anime-graphics influenced MMORPGs.

Trust me when I tell you this: Though I never personally got into the first Guild Wars, ArenaNet is a fantastic developer. Just remember, though, at the end of the day, at least you won't have to worry about Subscription fees. So if you're really worried, just wait a few months and the price will probably drop down to around $20 like most computer games (save for a handful of titles in cash-cow franchises with yearly releases, just because they know they can milk people out of that money).

But if you have half a braincell, you'd wait until the game comes out and enough people write about it, and there are enough videos to watch, to make your own informed decision.

Pre-ordering/pre-purchasing an MMORPG is probably one of the most unwise things you could do when it comes to videogames, yet people still do it all the time. =(
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    NCsoft has had next to no influence on the development of this game. NCsoft is the publisher, and they have given Arenanet immense freedom to create the game as they see it, even to the point of not even knowing the expected release date. (though, this close to the release they probably do now though)
    Ask yourself what company buys another company and not interfere with development.

I might as well say that Activision and Blizzard MERGED they did not get bought out, so that's a huge difference.

You're just fooling yourself if you think Ncsoft has not directly affected development in any way.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    I have more concerns about there service and quality. In Aion they where running around with a giant banhammer what just looked like a bot but in the end it where just a regular player that grinded his way to max level (because there was no other way ^^).
    My only experience with NCSoft support has been with GW1, and that has been excellent. I've contacted them twice about lost account information (different accounts), and both times I got an answer the same day. The first time it was after only 20 minutes (on a Sunday even!), the second took a few hours but that was also on a Sunday.

Deleted
    I don't get the NCSoft hate. Sure they have published some bad games that failed, but they had some successful games like GW1 or Aion and Lineage series in Asian market. MMORPG industry isn't exactly easiest one to get into and at least NCSoft is veterans in industry and hopefully have gained valuable experience from their fails. Also it looks like NCSoft is giving Arenanet all the time they need to get GW2 finished(5+ years in development) where some other publishers might have rushed them to release it as unfinished in order to make quick short term profit.

Guild Wars 1 was a critical and public success in the western market and Aion was a critical and public success in the eastern market. Two successful MMO's is a good track record, and they've given ANet very few limitations in their development process.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Ask yourself what company buys another company and not interfere with development.

I might as well say that Activision and Blizzard MERGED they did not get bought out, so that's a huge difference.

You're just fooling yourself if you think Ncsoft has not directly affected development in any way.
    Yay, I'm fooling myself with truth. Stick it to the man! Don't believe the rubbish these gaming companies tell us through press releases!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Yay, I'm fooling myself with truth. Stick it to the man! Don't believe the rubbish these gaming companies tell us through press releases!
    This'd be why you don't see people reply to Deyadissa often.
    "You're fooling yourself to think that GW2's PvE won't suck!"
    "You're fooling yourself to think NCsoft isn't developing GW2!"
    .. riiiight. Moving on then.

I had one experience with NCsoft related to GW1. It was nice. It was quite a special moment.
    We cuddled after.

Deleted
    For people saying Anet made this game and not ncsoft, well that is true, but we have seen other examples of publishers walking in and and totally destroy a game, not gonna say any names lets hope ncsoft doesnt do that.