Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Seasoned GW players: What is going to make GW2 so good?

I am a long-time WoW player, and was tremendously disappointed with SWTOR when it came out. I jumped on the hype boat only to find it was slowly headed for a waterfall.

I am planning to once again run a guild and GW2 gives me hope. I really like everything I have heard in the ArenaNet and Curse videos. I never played GW so I am curious what those of you who do currently play GW are looking forward to the most in this new game.

Thanks in advance!

The same thing that made Guild Wars successful, Player versus Player.

I should note that I'm takin about serious Player versus Player, not world Player versus Player.

Wvwvw is for casual player that cant take the pressure of real Player versus Player, for them it's all about fun.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-04-16 at 05:54 AM.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

The things that make me most excited about GW2 aren't really related to GW1: the lack of trinity, DEs...
    But what does make me all warm and fuzzy is that clear affection Anet have for the first game. It really is evident that the game was developed with a lot of empathy. It's clear in the storytelling, the constant balancing.
    So........there's that prob more than anything. I trust the developer.

I'm not really a vet though I only started playing in Jan. Just my observation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, to be fair. GW2 is about lot more than just PvP. Sure, GW is knowed for it's PvP, but you should remember that the almost only simularities between GW1 and GW2 is the lore and the world.

Deleted
    Im curious abot this a well, what made GW to keep some what up with other MMO? Was it only the world PvP? or just PvP in general?

10+ Year Old Account
    the robust combat system pioneered in gw1 is going to be GW2's most powerful feature

strong pvp that everyone brags about is merely a byproduct of the combat system

---------- Post added 2012-04-16 at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by trakbob View Post
    Well, to be fair. GW2 is about lot more than just PvP. Sure, GW is knowed for it's PvP, but you should remember that the almost only simularities between GW1 and GW2 is the lore and the world.
    there are far more similarities between the 2 games. both technically and design. if you look at both games and say they are nothing alike you're either blind or ignorant
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    WvW is for casual player that cant take the pressure of real Player versus Player, for them it's all about fun.
    I find that slightly insulting honestly, while I can see that because of the huge masses it's not going to be as serious as Battlegrounds, but that doesn't mean it's because people can't take the pressure or that WvW vs PvP is less fun then the other.

In my experience with Warcraft, if I got bored of RBGs, Premades, or Arenas, I'd go World PvP. It's a different experience and a lot more relaxing while somewhat more challenging at times. Switching to a different PvP style doesn't necessarily mean that I (or anyone else) can't take the pressure or are any less skilled.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

I played the beta of the first one, but never bought the final product.. I'm considering buying this one - my only concern is the proportion of pvp to pve content.. I love me some pvp, but pve is usually what determines how long I stay interested in a game for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy View Post
    I played the beta of the first one, but never bought the final product.. I'm considering buying this one - my only concern is the proportion of pvp to pve content.. I love me some pvp, but pve is usually what determines how long I stay interested in a game for.
    there's hundreds if not thousands times more pve content than pvp content
    in both games

dont let the "pvp only" crowd fool you

just because a game has strong pvp doesnt mean its a pvp game
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Maybe I joined the scene too late, having just bought GW1 a couple months, but I think GW1 pvp is pretty damn bad. I'm sure I could be doing it better, but I'm not impressed.

There was no world PVP in the first Guild Wars. The whole game was instanced-- it was sorta like playing a co-op Diablo more than a modern MMO.

OT: For me it's the lore & story of GW2 that is most intriguing. The first series was pretty excellent at world building. The rest is stuff I have seen before in one MMO or another, executed in GW2 with more or less success. To be quite honest, I am interested in the game because it is a new MMO- I feel one should play all types of games and try out as many as possible regardless of title.

There is no reasons to view GW2 in the context of subscription MMOs either. As there is none and all the game systems are designed for casual play. Thus one can buy GW2 w/ the same intention as Skyrim or Torchlight; play till you're filled and dabble in other games afterward. The first Guild Wars followed this model as well. A great "side" game.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    I find that slightly insulting honestly, while I can see that because of the huge masses it's not going to be as serious as Battlegrounds, but that doesn't mean it's because people can't take the pressure or that WvW vs PvP is less fun then the other.

In my experience with Warcraft, if I got bored of RBGs, Premades, or Arenas, I'd go World PvP. It's a different experience and a lot more relaxing while somewhat more challenging at times. Switching to a different PvP style doesn't necessarily mean that I (or anyone else) can't take the pressure or are any less skilled.

It's hardly challenging, you just spam area of effect skills and collect points. It's all a number game.

You don't have to watch the field to the point if you were off by a half second you would lose like in real Player versus Player.?

Just having more than1600 rating in world of Warcraft makes you better than most players in battlegrounds and it becomes a joke. You could have a max level healer and tank seven people at once because they are too stupid to use and interrupt. Then you have people that are jumpy and you can fAke cast them

Instanced and rated Player versus Player is way more difficult because you have to overcome your own skill level to improve. It's just as hard for a 1399 player to progress than a 2400, they both have to improve to beat others similar to their skill.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-04-16 at 06:17 AM.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's hardly challenging, you just spam area of effect skills and collect points. It's all a number game.

You don't have to watch the field to the point if you were off by a half second you would lose like in real Player versus Player.
    That's not my point though, what I'm saying is that not everyone in WvW is going to be there because they can't take 5v5 PvP seriously or can't take the pressure. Some, if not most, might do WvW just for the change of pace. What I was (slightly) insulted about is that the way you said it was as if everyone in WvW is just a casual who can't play on a serious level.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Maybe I joined the scene too late, having just bought GW1 a couple months, but I think GW1 pvp is pretty damn bad. I'm sure I could be doing it better, but I'm not impressed.
    To be honest, you are probably pretty damn bad. No offense. GW1 PVP is not perfect MMO PVP, but it is awfully close to what you see in parity and equity of more PVP exclusive titles. There is a fairly deep macro and micro element to GW1 PVP measured in seconds- at least within the HA. Where actual serious play is had.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    To be honest, you are probably pretty damn bad. No offense. GW1 PVP is not perfect MMO PVP, but it is awfully close to what you see in parity and equity of more PVP exclusive titles. There is a fairly deep macro and micro element to GW1 PVP measured in seconds- at least within the HA. Where actual serious play is had.
    Well, the biggest problem with what I've seen so far is that the battlegrounds are filled with bots, and I don't really enjoy the combat in the game either. I haven't even cared to improve my gear very much with the correct runes and insignias. It's just something I'm putting up with to get some things in GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    That's not my point though, what I'm saying is that not everyone in WvW is going to be there because they can't take 5v5 PvP seriously or can't take the pressure. Some, if not most, might do WvW just for the change of pace. What I was (slightly) insulted about is that the way you said it was as if everyone in WvW is just a casual who can't play on a serious level.

Certainly not everyone, but certainly the majority.

Everyone in rift hated instanced pvp and wanted focus on some non existent RVR rumor. They melt saying wow was too gear based and such when it hard,t made a difference.

You don't have to watch the field to the point if you were off by a half second you would lose like in real Player versus Player.?

Just having more than1600 rating in world of Warcraft makes you better than most players in battlegrounds and it becomes a joke. You could have a max level healer and tank seven people at once because they are too stupid to use and interrupt. Then you have people that are jumpy and you can fAke cast them

Instanced and rated Player versus Player is way more difficult because you have to overcome your own skill level to improve. It's just as hard for a 1399 player to progress than a 2400, they both have to improve to beat others similar to their skill.
    Maybe in mirror but if you have the better comp you can be terrible and win in wow.

The world, Tyria.

I've played through it dozens of times across numerous characters. I'm intrigued to see what has happened to the fantasy world that I've logged more hours in than I've logged hours spent doing homework in my entire high school career. =D

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Well, the biggest problem with what I've seen so far is that the battlegrounds are filled with bots, and I don't really enjoy the combat in the game either. I haven't even cared to improve my gear very much with the correct runes and insignias. It's just something I'm putting up with to get some things in GW2.
    Fair enough. Merely pointing out the depth is there. Of course, if one dislikes the combat the specifics of team build and counter-v-counter meta-play perhaps is secondary.

Totally understandable. The combat engine in GW1 is fairly clunky admittedly. It's a style that many find off putting.

Deleted
    WvW is no skill based pvp but it's about strategy and leadership. when you see how hard siegeweapons hit and how long their range is, it's not a good idea to stand with a zerg right before a gate. cut the supplies, attack several targets at once, scouting, feint attacks, overview is much more important then pure manpower. sure you need many peoples to capture a keep, but you need less to defend it.
    in WvW you are part of an army, part of a company, part of a squad, and your task is not to be the best skilled pvp player, its to fullfill your orders best you can. i liked this one in aion, but there were a lot of mistakes in the system. gw2 added mechanics to prevent these mistakes, so it could be a really great war between the 3 servers. important for success is that the hole server works together and not every guild against each other to be the best, hope it will work.