10+ Year Old Account

Returning to Rift - Suggest a Class?

Hey ya'll!

So I played a couple weeks of Rift in January shortly before the Carnival Patch as a Mage Ele, Pyro, Arch.
    I'm looking to return but would like some class suggestions.

Deleted
    Your question is a bit vague to be quite honest with you, You didnt mention what classes you like playing in previous games / whether you enjoyed playing a mage when you played back in january

So just because i love it, id suggest trying out a rogue =)

As Seatin said, it's a bit hard to know what your preferences are.

That said I'd stick with your Mage

Cleric is a great class for Rift. They can do everything available in the game- tank, ranged DPS, melee dps, group support, MT healing, group healing. Clerics also are the best all-around soloers. Rivaled only by Rogue- who have less versatility and viable options in how they solo.

Cleric is very good at teaching fundamentals of the soul system as well. No other class changes as drastically with soul and point combinations as a Cleric. So it's great for getting your head around the idea that in Rift you play everything and respec daily. The latter if which has proven to be the most daunting and difficult barrier for newcomers to Rift. Esp. from other MMOs with singular class design.

I'd say rogue. Versatile and alot of fun. I have a raid cleric but I never play it anymore cause it just wasn't as fun.

Depends on what you like though. I think dps on a cleric either is boring or feels like a mage, neither of which I think are what you want. However if you like healing, they do that very well and in a myriad of ways. I also found cleric tanking to be more for fun that warrior tank (but not as fun as rogue tanking). For dps rogue has the most unique options. Sabs will be viable once again in 1.8 and they are a very interesting and unique dps class. You have range and you have some very visceral feeling melee classes for rogues also. Granted warrior also has alot of fun dps. I just think rogue is better. Both warrior and rogue also have a support class and though both are boring imo, I think bard is the better of the two.

Go rogue!

Also to point out with the proper build, a rogue can solo better and more efficiently than a cleric, despite what fencers said. I use a cleric primarily for PTS soloing and while they take alot less damage and heal as they fight. Rogues can kill much faster and heal during the fight as well if they are doing aoe. The only downside for rogue soloing is that they have a tough time against a very powerful single enemy. So if you come up against a tough rare mob in Ember Isle, it will still own you. While with a properly spec cleric it may be a long long fight but you will have a good chance of winning if you know what you are doing. Make sense?
    Last edited by Khelendros; 2012-04-16 at 06:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to level a Cleric to 20 with the Rift Lite program on the Riptalon-EU Shard.
    I plan to use this build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?rift...k.euMo0fz.Vxkb and see how it goes from there.
    If I like the class and enjoy the game again I'll consider adding 3 months of game time and continue playing my toon Kalahira.

Thanks for the advice either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Cleric is a great class for Rift. They can do everything available in the game- tank, ranged DPS, melee dps, group support, MT healing, group healing. Clerics also are the best all-around soloers. Rivaled only by Rogue- who have less versatility and viable options in how they solo.

Cleric is very good at teaching fundamentals of the soul system as well. No other class changes as drastically with soul and point combinations as a Cleric. So it's great for getting your head around the idea that in Rift you play everything and respec daily. The latter if which has proven to be the most daunting and difficult barrier for newcomers to Rift. Esp. from other MMOs with singular class design.
    100% this! I started out as a chloro/ele mage as i leveled. At 50 i did dungeons and entry raids mostly as Pyro. It was fun and all but i missed tanking. So i started a cleric and haven't looked back. Its a very fun class.