Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

A tattoo, with a meaning.

Hello folks,

I am turning 16 years this thursday. A very special person to me, my best friend, she has anorexia. She means a lot to me, nobody means more to me than her. And I decided to dedicate a tattoo to her. It won't be big, on my right shoulder 3 flying birds. It means that she has to open her wings, and see what this world has to offer more than diets.

I wanted to share this story with you guys and I wanted to hear your opinions. I don't need posts like: Omg you are so stupid you are ruining ur body. Honestly I am not, I want this with all my heart.

Thanks for your time and opinions,

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woesnoes View Post
    Hello folks,

I am turning 16 years this thursday. A very special person to me, my best friend, she has anorexia. She means a lot to me, nobody means more to me than her. And I decided to dedicate a tattoo to her. It won't be big, on my right shoulder 3 flying birds. It means that she has to open her wings, and see what this world has to offer more than diets.

I wanted to share this story with you guys and I wanted to hear your opinions. I don't need posts like: Omg you are so stupid you are ruining ur body. Honestly I am not, I want this with all my heart.

As noble and as righteous this cause may seem to you now, there are easier and more meaningful ways to impact somebody's life than simply inking yourself. I highly advise against this as your young age (like it or not) will cause you to not care, or convince yourself that you will not care, that you will have such a long-lasting impression on yourself from this person, and anyone else you might share this tattoo with.

For all you know this 'she' could slash your tires or break your heart in a couple years.

I had a friend who was friends with this girl for over 10 years, and he caught her stealing a jar of loose change he had been saving for his son for school. There was over $1000 in this jar (it was huge). She tried desperately to lie herself out of the situation, but it just goes to show that anybody can have a moment of insanity that ruins their reputation with you... forever.

So, don't ink yourself and have to regret it 10 or 15 years down the road. Hell, you might even think of a better tatoo to put in the same spot.
    Last edited by Zenko; 2012-04-16 at 12:10 PM.

Deleted
    Never dedicate a tattoo to anybody unless they are family. I know so many people that have tattoos they regret because they have fallen out with someone.

I'm all for tattoos, but getting a tattoo dedicated to someone else's anorexia just makes absolutely no sense. Bad decisions like that are why they make you wait until you're 18, at least in the US.
    Last edited by achaeon; 2012-04-16 at 12:12 PM.

Go for it bro, inks are way to cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    In 20 years time she will be in the Guinness World Record books for being the heaviest woman alive. She will have 20 kids by 40 different fathers and live off state income. Want that on your shoulder, celebrating that?

Oh and imagine this now - you're 16 and your body is starting to get properly toned. Now imagine you break your shoulder, how weird it'll look. Now think about when your skin sags and it looks like someone has smeared a plum into your shoulder so strong that it has gone udner the skin and leaves a permanent mark.

Yeah. Not cool.

So yeah if you really want a tatoo then get one but don't dedicate it to someone...
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    I understand you guys. But she has been there for me my entire life already and I am just sure that I won't fall out with her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You are 16 and getting a tattoo for a friend of yours? And your parents are going to sign off on that for you? Sorry agreeing with the other posters sounds pretty not well thought out, in general mainly the fact that you are 16 (a kid) and want to get a silly tattoo on your finger for an anorexic girl you seem smitten on. Do yourself a favor and just stop now while you are ahead.

Hello folks,

Chances are you won't even talk to her anymore in a few years. Maybe less. Talking from experience here.

And even if you stay friends forever that would be kind of strange. If I saw my best friend with a tattoo dedicated to me I'd freak out a bit.

I am just sure that I won't fall out with her.
    People change. Especially after 18. Especially especially if they have psychological troubles like anorexia.

Deleted
    I agree with Zenko, you're also at a very risky moment right now, the changes you'll go through in the following 3 years will be severe compared to the rest of your life.

Don't make any choises now that might affect you negatively the rest of your life.

Storytime!

I understand you guys. But she has been there for me my entire life already and I am just sure that I won't fall out with her.
    So was I with my girlfriend at that time, 1 and a half year later, major fall out.

You can't be sure of anything, especialy not if this something includes eternity/rest of your life.
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2012-04-16 at 12:18 PM.

if she means that much to you then get it done. However I do somewhat agree with RICH1471, but if you are sure this is what you want then it is your body to do with what you want. I myself have a Tribal Tiger on my left shoulder, Superman (not just the crest) on my Right Shoulder, and my sisters names on my forearms. All of them mean something to me and they are what I wanted with all my heart. I myself am 22. I also live with a life threatening medical problem that is very rare (6 known cases of it when i got it).

Don't listen to people who tell you not to do it because of your age. If down the road you don't want it then have it removed or covered up (covering it up is much easier)

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Repeating the part that you are 16 and it's a bad idea in general.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenko View Post
    As noble and as righteous this cause may seem to you now, there are easier and more meaningful ways to impact somebody's life than simply inking yourself. I highly advise against this as your young age (like it or not) will cause you to not care, or convince yourself that you will not care, to have such a lasting impression on yourself from this person, and anyone else you share this tattoo with.

For all you know this 'she' could slash your tires or break your heart in a couple years.

I had a friend who was friends with this girl for over 10 years, and he caught her stealing a jar of loose change he had been saving for his son for school. There was over $1000 in this jar (it was huge). She tried desperately to lie herself out of the situation, but it just goes to show that anybody can have a moment of insanity that ruins their reputation with you... forever.

So, don't ink yourself and have to regret it 10 or 15 years down the road. Hell, you might even think of a better tatoo to put in the same spot.
    damn it, anything can happen, don´t care to much for the future, tattoo´s can be erased

and to your story, really who cares that much for 1000$, that´s not even worth giving up a bad friendship, and for sure not worth to ruin ones friendship forever
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    It won't be big, on my right shoulder 3 flying birds. It means that she has to open her wings, and see what this world has to offer more than diets.
    Will she understand what it means is the main thing.

Have you talked to your friend about this?

Yeah, unless your parents force you to move away forever before then..... or her parents force her to move away forever

And if you're a guy... why isn't she your girlfriend if you're so close? O_o

Also wouldn't it be better if she defeated anorexia and then she got the symbolic tattoo?

If he is stupid and reckless. LET HIM, it's his choice.

But as we see, he wrote in this thread about this topic, because he isn't sure to get it. Meaning, don't get the
    tattoo, if you really wanted it you hadn't come to these forums to ask for second opinion from strangers.

My 2 cents.

Have no problem with people having tattoos at all, but this is something I'd advise against doing.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

you want people to tell you it's a noble/great idea

nobody can tell you one way or the other, my tattoo is for me and yours has to be for you

Before you get it, make sure you'll be comfortable with it for life.

If you're the sort of person that doesn't lament your mistakes, and feels that they're just part of the journey to who you are today, then you obviously will have more leeway with this than someone that regrets things constantly.

Just...really, really make sure you'll be able to cope with it if something happens and you guys don't get along anymore or whatnot before you put a permanent mark on yourself.