Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You are 16, still a baby. You honestly don't know anything about yourself or this world by this point in time. The fact you made this post is additional proof of that. Do not get any tattoo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woesnoes View Post
    I understand you guys. But she has been there for me my entire life already and I am just sure that I won't fall out with her.
    You are 16, still a child. See if you still feel the same in 10 years time, 26 is still a good age to get inked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    She will have 20 kids by 40 different fathers and live off state income.
    While this may be OT, I'm fairly certain you need to go back to highschool.
    Last edited by Samic; 2012-04-16 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Break into his house, and wait for him on his bed using the naked man technique.

20% of the time, it works EVERY time.

Deleted
    Yes I just did

---------- Post added 2012-04-16 at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bandoth View Post
    Before you get it, make sure you'll be comfortable with it for life.

If you're the sort of person that doesn't lament your mistakes, and feels that they're just part of the journey to who you are today, then you obviously will have more leeway with this than someone that regrets things constantly.

Just...really, really make sure you'll be able to cope with it if something happens and you guys don't get along anymore or whatnot before you put a permanent mark on yourself.
    I've been thinking about this since 6 months now. I know with all my heart that this is a right thing to do and that I really want to do it so yeah

My personal take on this is I wouldn't recommend it. I love getting tattoos they are a ton of fun and very addictive. My first tattoo was at 16 as well but it was my family crest in the same spot my dad got his. Now as for the reason I said I wouldn't is because like others said you never know and you might have a falling out with her. I had a friend who was my best friend from the fourth grade on and to most we were like brothers. We hung out everyday andwere such great friends that our familys even acted as if we were brothers (they threw birthday parties for us and bought the other presents for holidays). Whenever I got my at that time girlfriend (now wife) pregnant he stopped talking to me after all the time we spent together.

TL;DR Tattoos are great but dont get one for someone unless they are someone you know 100% will always be in your life like family.

I have many tattoos. My advice is that you get a tattoo after you get your friend some help. Pick a design, print it out, look at it every day til you're 18. If you still want it, get it. But NEVER EVER EVER EVER put someone else's name on yourself. EVER. Good Luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love tattoos but I'm not a fan of devoting them to other people because those relationships aren't guaranteed to endure. Then you're stuck with a tattoo that reminds you of a person who you either don't care for anymore or possibily even enrages you.

But you two may be 80 yrs old and still the best of friends Go for it. Worst comes to worst, laser removal!

10+ Year Old Account
    If its what you want do it. Most people your age get something they think looks cool rather than it meaning anything at all then regret it later on. Its not on a visible part of your body so wont get in the way of jobs or anything in the future. They can be removed anyways (yes expensive but it can be done) or covered up by another tattoo.

the whole your 75 and wrinkly argument. Why would anyone care at that age what it looks like i wouldn't. Just another story for your grand kids.

well thats my opinion, its small, not visible, she means alot to you, and you really want it go for it. even if in 20years you aren't friends anymore she still meant something to you at the time. I had a best friend who left me for the stupidest reason but yet i still care tons about him just because he did me wrong doesn't mean hes nothing to me now, i still have the pet i named after him .
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

15+ Year Old Account
    I understand you guys. But she has been there for me my entire life already and I am just sure that I won't fall out with her.
    I really wish I could just reach out to you and explain to you how much that 'you' will change in the next few years of your life. But alas, you must learn from experience. It is the only way.

With all due respect, if you are in love with this girl or lost your virginity to her, then for the love of logic DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR EMOTIONS. You are in the cusp of your teenage years and it is natural for you to feel so passionately about these things.

More importantly, you will mentally be a different person every year until the age of ~25. You will lose interest in your loves, and gain love for things that never interested you. I really wish I could explain this to you in a more simple way but there is no shortcut to growing up. You simply need to experience it.

I'm not saying tattoos are childish, maybe superficial, but as raw as the feelings you are experiencing they are will not last forever. Either due to internal or external forces that these feelings fade is irrelevant. Pick a better way to show this girl the world that isn't so prone to future regret and future expenses.

Personally, I'd think the tattoo would still have meaning after a hypothetical falling out - a representation of what you were willing to do for a friend, perhaps.

Also, I don't really know how mature of a person you are, so I can't really offer any meaningful advice. People tend to use think of their own life experiences as absolutes, but it's really not that simple. It sort of comes down to, "X happened to me when I was Y, so you better watch out for X!"
    Last edited by Lightfist; 2012-04-16 at 12:34 PM.

Yes I just did

---------- Post added 2012-04-16 at 12:22 PM ----------

I've been thinking about this since 6 months now. I know with all my heart that this is a right thing to do and that I really want to do it so yeah
    What if getting this tattoo doesn't help her at all and she continues to be anorexic despite your extreme attempt to make a point?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenko View Post
    I really wish I could just reach out to you and explain to you how much that 'you' will change in the next few years of your life. But alas, you must learn from experience. It is the only way.

With all due respect, if you are in love with this girl or lost your virginity to her, then for the love of logic DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR EMOTIONS. You are in the cusp of your teenage years and it is natural for you to feel so passionately about these things.

More importantly, you will mentally be a different person every year until the age of ~25. You will lose interest in your loves, and gain love for things that never interested you. I really wish I could explain this to you in a more simple way but there is no shortcut to growing up. You simply need to experience it.

I'm not saying tattoos are childish, maybe superficial, but as raw as the feelings you are experiencing they are will not last forever. Either due to internal or external forces that these feelings fade is irrelevant. Pick a better way to show this girl the world that isn't so prone to future regret and future expenses.
    ^This man speaks the truth, I'm a 23 year old whos changed alot since 16 , some changes I would have never even guessed though. You really are like a whole different person

I always say, in retrospect I and everyone I've ever known was basically retarded until adulthood
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-04-16 at 12:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by strangebreed View Post
    If its what you want do it. Most people your age get something they think looks cool rather than it meaning anything at all then regret it later on. Its not on a visible part of your body so wont get in the way of jobs or anything in the future. They can be removed anyways (yes expensive but it can be done) or covered up by another tattoo.

the whole your 75 and wrinkly argument. Why would anyone care at that age what it looks like i wouldn't. Just another story for your grand kids.

well thats my opinion, its small, not visible, she means alot to you, and you really want it go for it. even if in 20years you aren't friends anymore she still meant something to you at the time. I had a best friend who left me for the stupidest reason but yet i still care tons about him just because he did me wrong doesn't mean hes nothing to me now, i still have the pet i named after him .
    Yes this is what I mean, it is very small and it is because she means so much to me at this point, maybe not in 20 years but she always meant something for me.

Deleted
    Tattoo artist here.

I'd say that it sounds like an incredibly bad idea for several reasons. Don't get tribute tattoos for friends. Between myself and the artists I know, I can't tell you the amount of people who want regretted tribute tattoos covered up. Names of old lovers, novelty tokens for friends, insider jokes, etc. It's really the number one reason people want their stuff covered up. Unless it's directly related family - just don't do it.

Also, and more importantly - I can't think of a single responsible artist that I know who would take their needles to a 16 year old. At 16, people have a lot of idiotic ideas that seem great at the time. No spite intended.

Write her a letter or a song or simply tell her how much she means to you. Wait a few years with the tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Tattoo artist here.

I'd say that it sounds like an incredibly bad idea for several reasons. Don't get tribute tattoos for friends. Between myself and the artists I know, I can't tell you the amount of people who want regretted tribute tattoos covered up. Names of old lovers, novelty tokens for friends, insider jokes, etc. It's really the number one reason people want their stuff covered up. Unless it's directly related family - just don't do it.

Also, and more importantly - I can't think of a single responsible artist that I know who would take their needles to a 16 year old. At 16, people have a lot of idiotic ideas that seem great at the time.

Write her a letter or a song or simply tell her how much she means to you. Wait a few years with the tattoo.
    Tell me, how many people didn't regret tribute tattoos? How do they stack up against people that did?

you get tattoos for or about something you care enough about to never forget, atleast I do. Question you have to ask yourself (and her imo) if this is something or someone you never want to forget. Like others have said getting a tattoo for someones future relationship you dont know can bite your ass off. Having a tattoo as a tribute is cool, just make sure the person you're tributing doesnt "fall out" or worse. A good tribute can quickly become a sad memory. It's a nice gesture but very dramatic.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    I know you're not supposed to post "this" comments, but another vote for "No" here; for the reasons people have said.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    damn it, anything can happen, don´t care to much for the future, tattoo´s can be erased

and to your story, really who cares that much for 1000$, that´s not even worth giving up a bad friendship, and for sure not worth to ruin ones friendship forever
    Can I have a $1000? You seem to not care much for money. If you let friends steal your money then you shouldn't have a problem with some random kid on the internet.

There's always more to a story. I neglected to include other personal details, seeing as how the story isnt really mine. Would mentioning the fact that this girl was childhood friends with his wife move you a little? Or the idea of your friend/babysitter basically raping your family's 'fruits' while you are at work providing for the future of your family?

Some of us aren't handed life on a silver platter. I bust my ass off every day for the things that I have. I once punched my roommate in the face for stealing $20 from my room, and he took it like a man should. You don't mess with other people's belongings, especially people you consider friends.

It won't be big
    The irony of getting a small tattoo for someone with anorexia...I lol'd

You know what I was fully prepared to write a little story and tell you not to do it...

But it's evident by your Post and follow up posts to people's comments you really believe this is something you want/have to do ...

If you're fine with it ... And more importantly your parents are fine with it ... Then go for it ..

Everyone makes mistakes, and we can't learn from our mistakes if we don't make them. So It may turn out that the Kid has this friend his entire life and she gets over the Anorexia with his help and it's a beautiful story, or they might grow apart and he'll regret the Tattoo ... Who knows, we can't judge that, only he can, and if it ends up being a mistake, then He'll learn from it.