Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Just started playing LoL two days ago and need some help!

As the title says, i just started playing two days ago. I don't have much experience with games of this nature and i am still getting use to it. I played a handful of games of Dota All-Stars in high school with my friend but i never grasped it. I am already level 10 i pretty much got bored of WoW and played nonstop all weekend.

The first day i did the tutorial i played i think Ashe? After that there was a second tutorial thing and i played something else. After this i started playing 5v5s against AI and chose Annie and have been playing her since. I only have played two other champions in a Player v AI match. I forgot which they were, but i figured i should learn one thing and expand from there. I tried one PvP match with my friends who are level 30, they made new accounts so i wasn't in a game with 30s. It didn't go so well so i went back to AI games on beginner for the rest of that day/night.

The second day i started playing intermediate bots nonstop and started learning how to play mid to farm faster since i heard Annie was really strong in mid. I have gotten the stun/tibbers/lol dead thing down now for the most part. After playing Bots my friend and her boyfriend made a premade 5v5 match with her boyfriends two friends. It went okay for the first match, the second match kinda tanked so we all went back to AI on intermediate so myself and her could learn to play better since she just started to. After a handful of games they had stuff to do so i did more AI games by myself for more practice. I became comfortable enough with mid/annie that i went into PvP 5s and did really well towards the end. We won about 5 games and lost 2 so not to bad.

Anyways... that was to long just figured i would toss up what the past two days have been like. I started following this guide my friend sent me mobafire and it helped alot. However, i got lost with all the things like AP Carry/Juggler etc

For the most part i would just like some help learning the basics/terms/abbreviations and what they mean /guides like elitist jerks/wowhead/mmochamp for LoL

Im playing under the summoner name "Mitsy" if that is of any help to see match history.
    Last edited by Mitsy; 2012-04-16 at 07:17 PM.

Leaguecraft would be the place for you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsy View Post
    Snip
    Soooo much copy paste...

Anyway, here's a nice little FAQ for new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Soooo much copy paste...
    Yea im not sure how all that happened lol :/ edited it out. At school and the internet kicked me off and i had to relog in and my post had copied itself somehow lol

Deleted
    go on Mobafire.net, though at your level you should probably only look at the gameplay things along with the builds, not the runes / masteries.

Not very good at helping new people, so good luck. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Taco's.
    Taco's are the most important thing regarding highlevel Elo play. Get used to scarfing the power food of choice and rejoice in your epicness.
    Grammar- It's the difference between knowing your shit & knowing you're shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh... last hit creeps and don't over commit in a lane. Don't suck with skillshots, learn to lead the target rather than directly shoot at them. Depending on the situation, don't auto attack creeps until your face is in a tower, unless you're trying to destroy it. Early game you want the other team to be pushed against your tower so that you have a lot of room to chase them back to their tower so that you can kill them. You also want to be near a tower so that they don't get as many CK's because they're afraid of the tower. It's the little things that you take into consideration that make you a better player.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I only started playing for a few days too, but I got lucky and someone taught me a few things...
    Not sure if it's all correct but here's what I learned.
    Hope this helps:

Jungling is basically going to the jungle and kill neutral mobs. The aim is to get the blue buff and level quicker than any other champions and kill dragon for group exp + gold. Jungling might also involve ganking.

Ganking is where you go to an enemy champion and kill them or harass them with a friendly player who is already in the lane farming. Usually done when the enemy champion is pushing towards your turrent.

Harass is to hit the enemy champion a few times but not exactly killing them.

AP is attack power, much like spell power in wow
    AD is attack damage, auto attack damage
    AS is attack speed, increases the speed of your auto attack

Carry is usually the "dps" who can dish out good damage but usually not so good at early games.

That's all I heard....
    Good luck and have fun =)
    Affliction warlock who greatly misses his five empowered damage over time spells and his lovely imp.
    An imp who supplies his master infinitive amount of mana and always stays in another dimension.

As someone who started playing about a month ago the best advice i can give is to play. your can read all the guides you want but it wont teach you more then a game against real people. games against bots wont teach you much you need to play against real people. Other than that a few things i wish i knew when i started are. 1) all abilities that don't auto target can be shot through walls. This includes jumps and the summoner spell flash. 2) When you first start playing it is hard to see use in a jungler but don't be fooled. They are extremely important and their main function is to allow you to gain a level advantage over other players. This is because if you have someone facing two people in the top lane they will get all the experience from creep kills. The other function of a jungler is to set up ganks (situations where you surprise the enemy by outnumbering them) if your team has a jungler your chances of winning are greatly increased. 3) Don't use the recommended items in the game they are for the most part not the best choices. Go to mobafire.com and look up what ever champion you are playing you will have much better results with those builds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly... if you want to learn, don't play bot games.. play regular games and lose.

Watch your opponents, listen to your team mates, read guides for champions on websites.. but really, observe.

Watch some live steams on own3d or twitch, some of the best players in the world are streaming on there. (Including people like Scarra, Voyboy, the Curse Team, and many more)

Find a role you like (mid, top, bot, jungle, support) and play that the most. I recommend trying every champ during its free week at least once. This way you learn how they work, how long their CDs are, and how to fight against them. By the time you will be level 25-30, you will have a much better understanding of the game, and you can begin to read advanced guides, such as last hitting, zoning, buff control, and more.

EDIT: ALSO, save all your IP... only buy 1-2 champs that you like A LOT, but stick with free champs and rune-free till level 20. At level 20 you can start to buy tier 3 runes.

Depending on your role, I recommend going for 2 ruune builds... a glass house type build, and a tanky build. So if you are AP mid (Annie) for example, go with Magic Pen red runes, mp5 yellow runes, AP blue runes and AP quints for your glass house build... then go with some magic resist and armor for your 2nd build. This is a pretty good start.
    Last edited by Nosonia; 2012-04-17 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    EDIT: ALSO, save all your IP... only buy 1-2 champs that you like A LOT, but stick with free champs and rune-free till level 20. At level 20 you can start to buy tier 3 runes.
    Yea, my friend told me
    runes are really expensive or something and a waste until 20.
    Already bought Annie with IP i will probably wait couple weeks to buy a second that i really like. She is a lot of when when i can get a good lead. Tibbers wrecks everything when you get alot of items

Thanks for all the info and help guys .
    Totally agree with you guys saying just play, iv learned alot just playing pvp matches even if its against bots just to see enemy spells.
    Im still not use to all the different skins, i need to recognize them by names instead of characteristics lol.
    Last edited by Mitsy; 2012-04-17 at 04:00 AM.

We really need a sticky post of some sort on how to start playing LoL

Other similar threads about new players to LoL:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post16430922
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1115300-New-to-LoL
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-LoL-gief-tips!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...for-a-beginner

*Random Tips:

-Research information on the characters you play, its a good idea to create a mastery page for each one, and try to memorize an item build: www.mobafire.com
    -Play several free heroes each week in VS AI or Dominion games to see what types of heroes you enjoy playing and to see which type of playstyle you are interested in playing as (Mage, Tank, Carry, Support, Jungler, etc). Odds are you will innately be better at playing a certain type of hero than other types, and figuring out your 'nitch' will help you out early on.
    -Starting out in LoL it is not a bad idea to invest 10$ into the game and have enough RP to buy 3 heroes on sale that normally cost 6300 IP each (18900 IP total), it will help you expand your hero options efficiently early on. They rotate 3-4 heroes on sale each week, usually 1-2 of them are 6300 IP heroes. Do some research in the shop!
    -Generally your goal should be to be getting the 'last hit' on every single minion in your lane. Obviously you won't get EVERY one but the more last hits you get the more gold you have and the better off you are.
    -DO NOT sit there an auto attack. Sitting there and auto attacking pushes your lane then you will be vulnerable to ganks from the sides, and will have a hard time killing the enemy hero since he will be sitting next to a tower. Only push when there aren't any heroes guarding a tower.
    -Playing as a tank or a support you should prefer having a Carry or a DPS hero get the last kills on heroes instead of you, so they can do more damage and help lead your team to victory.
    -Do not buy runes until level 20
    -Save about 10,000 IP for when you hit level 20 to buy tier 3 runes (I managed to do this from my IP from levels 13-20)
    -If someone is genuinely being an asshole, hold Tab in game, find their name, and just mute them. This will save you a lot of trouble.
    -If you are playing on an older computer or just want a FPS boost in game, while you are in game press control+alt+delete, find your LoL client, right click it, go to priority, set to high.

I think these should be enough helpful tips for starting off

totally agree with the mobafire sentiment, theres guides there for every aspect of LoL. Can be a bit overwhelming but I am addicted to the site now.

Another thing I would reccomend to a new player, is if you arent too particular about what champions you start out playing with and would like to have a good solid rotation of champions to play so you don't always have to play the same champ or whatever is free for the week, buy all the 450 ip champions. I believe that is 3950 total for 9 champions, and you get at least one champion capable of each role including strong support and carries. Sivir, nunu, soraka, and ashe are all strong champions. Also, you can get Tristana for free by liking Riot's facebook page and Alistar free for subscribing to Riot's youtube channel.

I kinda wish I had done this when I started instead of buying all the pretty looking 6300 champs, would have had alot more IP to spend on runes once I neared level 30.

Deleted
    Once you gain more knowledge and want to know more about champions in-depth I recommend checking Solomid.net, I find most champions have at least 1 high quality guide, far exceeding those of Mobafire. But they usually assume some basic knowledge. Lately they've been adding "general" guides too, so you could check it out.

Deleted
    To be honest, the best advice you can give a new player is: Play games, listen to your teammates (Mostly, common sense is allowed! :P) and most importantly: Do.Not.Rage.
    Whatever you do, don't rage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see a bunch of people recommend AI, and I have to say, they couldn't be more wrong.

Non-ranked PVP is the best place to test new champs, and Ranked is the place to play with champs you are completely comfortable with. AI games teach extremely bad habits and lead you to believe you can get away with certain things that will never fly in a PVP game. Stick to PVP and never look back, you'll learn tons.

Also, a new site recently opened lolpro.com. Great website, has tons of guides and is ran by pros (a lot of the curse team obviously, but there are other pros as well). They also have guides on laning, zoning, last hitting, buff controlling, warding, how to play mid, how to play top, jungling, why these roles are the way they are, why its important that the mid guy has magic resist, or the bottom guy has armor, etc...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best help?

Learn to last hit. 3 out of 5 of the roles depend on this ability and you aren't getting anywhere in the game if you don't learn this. While Jungle and Support aren't necessarily more difficult than top, mid or bot they do require a baseline skill that is quite a bit different than the previous 3 mentioned. Anyways last hitting is pretty critical. Learn your damage range.

Don't auto attack minions 'generally'. This falls into the last hit category as well. It may seem like a good idea as the main objective in the game is to push your lane, but at the beginning you want to keep your lane in a neutral position. Minions attacking minions will result in a stalemate meaning that they will remain in the center of each lane. By last hitting not only do you get gold but your creeps won't push past this line. Why? If you push towards their tower you put yourself in a really bad position. Some minions might be hard to last hit (virtue of them being in their tower range) and more importantly you're now farther away from your tower. Being in a neutral position makes you far less prone to being ganked, while being pushed towards their tower leaves you far more open to get killed. Not necessarily by the champion (champions) you're in a lane against, but by the roaming jungler.

Vision! This is overlooked a lot by both new players and players familiar with the game but too stubborn to spend gold. Wards give you 3 minutes of vision and when placed correctly give you excellent map control. If you're doing well against your lane it's perfectly fine to push forward if and only if you have vision of key points on the map. For 75 gold you can have vision of key 'gank' points for 3 minutes which is worth it's wait in gold for a lot of reasons. If you have vision you don't need to fear the roaming champion as much and it allows you to farm far more safely. Sometimes pushing your lane to their tower is great because some champions can't farm very well when pinned up against their tower. Lastly having vision saves your champion from getting killed nine times out of ten and that alone is worth the 75 gold cost. You warding wastes the roamers time which in turn helps you win the game.

Lastly communicate. If people are missing from the lane you're responsible for call it out. This gives the other two lanes a heads up. Keep an eye on the champion(s) you're in a lane against items as well. If you notice wards and someone goes missing only to come back without wards it's safe to assume they dropped one in a key point. It's your responsibility to alert your roamer (jungler) of this so he doesn't waste his time.

I won't get into anything else because those really are the basics. Learn to last hit, communicate mias and don't go into dangerous places if you don't have vision. As a general rule don't run blindly into bushes if their entire team isn't account for.

There are lots of sites that will give you a good run down on what counters what and what items to buy. These are useful but you really do need to get your hands dirty and just start losing (hopefully win) games. While the sites are good they aren't going to hold your hand with last hitting and map awareness. That all comes with practice and the only way to practice is to play.
    Last edited by Tojara; 2012-04-17 at 02:53 PM.

Deleted
    Four very important things to ALWAYS consider:

- WARDS
    - WARDS
    - WARDS
    - MORE WARDS

Seriously, these things WILL WIN YOU MATCHES!

Played a few games duo queue tonight, I'm level 22, my friend is 30. I was support Alistar, he was Twitch... My ward coverage is what won us so many games tonight, we didn't lose one - not because we were playing better than the other team, but because we could see better than the other team. We knew who was where, avoided all ganks, and just had everything covered, got every blue/red, dragon & baron.

I managed to get my Twitch the first blood in every match, and snowballed him to carrying the wins with every vital spot warded. Was playing with AD carry runes too, lol.

TL;DR: WARDS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by icyhk View Post
    I only started playing for a few days too, but I got lucky and someone taught me a few things...
    Not sure if it's all correct but here's what I learned.
    Hope this helps:

Jungling is basically going to the jungle and kill neutral mobs. The aim is to get the blue buff and level quicker than any other champions and kill dragon for group exp + gold. Jungling might also involve ganking.

Ganking is where you go to an enemy champion and kill them or harass them with a friendly player who is already in the lane farming. Usually done when the enemy champion is pushing towards your turrent.

Harass is to hit the enemy champion a few times but not exactly killing them.

AP is attack power, much like spell power in wow
    AD is attack damage, auto attack damage
    AS is attack speed, increases the speed of your auto attack

Carry is usually the "dps" who can dish out good damage but usually not so good at early games.

That's all I heard....
    Good luck and have fun =)
    AP is Ability Power.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll break it down very simply for you:

1. Map Awareness - watch the little mini map that shows the dots for friendlies and visible enemies. When you see a lot missing (AKA "MIA"), be extra careful.

2. Wards - every single good player purchases wards throughout the game. There are maps you can find online of the standard / proper / good placement spots.

3. Last hitting - practice this every game (and don't bother with bot games, waste of time). Annie is a superb AP mid to practice with. You should focus on only hitting your creeps when they are about to die, collect the gold, and don't over-extend.

Do these three things, and you'll have a good base.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.