Thread: DK tank Stats

DK tank Stats

Ok so I've been looking at a lot of different sites like MaxDPS, Noxxic, Mr Robot etc. and for DK tanks they all give the stat priority of Mastery>Parry>Dodge and a lot of the BiS choices are based on this algorithm, but shouldn't it be Dodge>Parry because of the parry from strength as well as Swordshattering? As well as that, because of the massive nerfs to DS the actual need for lots of Mastery has decreased, as after a point the strength of your shield won't matter if it's 5% more because of either the lack of damage being taken or in hard situations purely that it you would still be taking statistically a similar portion of damage because the damage is so high mitigating an extra k or 2 won't make a difference, so because of these situations wouldn't dodge and parry become higher value? For example the Soulshifter Vortex is listed as the BiS trinket followed by Resolve of the Undying. I do not see this as logical and I believe Fire of the Deep is a better option than the Soulshifter Vortex, as the Soulshifter Vortex's only real bonus is the mastery, which is good apart from the fact that the proc is random, and will most likely not activate in large damage periods as the are usually short and there is a high chance the proc could have been just used or is still on ICD, while the Fire of the Deep gives you 458 Mastery at all times, raising your overall mitigation and as well as that it can be controlled and used in heavy periods of physical damage to greatly raise your Dodge chance, giving passive mitigation as well as a good defensive cooldown when you need it. What are your thoughts on these matters?

u tend to prefer dodge over parry because u get more parry from your strength and runeforge. u wanna even them out.

as for mastery i found once u get like 25-26 mastery it's better to pick up stam this tier. prevents gibs from hard hitting bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    This should really be in the DK forum, but a couple of things worth mentioning...

1) the rune of Swordshattering does not suffer diminishing returns. DR applied to parry exists outside of the 4% from your weapon. Ideally, your static dodge = static parry before the rune, assuming no dodge or parry procs.

2) BiS lists for most tanks are going to vary based on the priority of the situation. Having just gotten through H Madness on my bear, I can say that I was pigeonholed into wearing double stamina trinkets to survive idiocy in external CD usage for impales, where I normally prefer mitigation, avoidance, and DPS gained from an agility-heavy setup. Presumably these sites that are "weighting" trinkets have weighted the average mastery of SSV and the stamina it provides, and for the rest of the gear, which, iirc, predominately has parry, and all has strength, heavily weight the 770/880/990 dodge in a spreadsheet trying to match parry and dodge. FotD is better for predictable damage spikes and control, yes. Many DKs may see more use, however, out of double-stamina trinkets for situations where EH remains more of an issue than mitigation, like H Blackhorn in phase 2. Outside of spreadsheets, only stamina, static stats, and on-use procs have significant value in effect, and that makes FotD a great trinket in practice compared to on paper. That said, when my DK's SSV procs, it's quite nearly a chance for my healers to sit down and take a nap or catch up on healing everyone else.

3) Don't look at spreadsheet rated trinkets for a BiS list. "Common" sense goes a lot further and keeping SEVERAL trinkets handy is almost always the right answer. Often progressing through H DS, I found I need more avoidance because my healers couldn't keep up with incoming hits on my bear, but in other occasions we were closing in on an enrage and putting out another 3-4k DPS could push a kill even though it cost me some mitigation, and on some horrifying pulls that lead to my berating the healing team, I found I needed to re-enchant, partially regem, and swap to stam trinkets to attempt to have 230k+ HP for when they forgot how to press healy buttons for an extended period of time.

4) the nerfs to DS make everything just as valuable relative to everything else as it was before, unless it's farm content. Lower incoming hits means smaller shields, with the same relative effect to the incoming hits. You don't need less, because the hit before the shield you make is smaller, making your shield smaller for the same level of mastery. Further, smaller incoming damage spikes makes avoidance less of an issue because getting hit 6 times in a row without dodging or parrying is less likely to feel like severe punishment.