Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

$60 LED Lightbulb

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120416/AP11/304169845

A light bulb that has a lifespan of 20 yrs and saves energy. What's everyone's opinion on this? For someone like myself who's a new home buyer this actually looks tempting to get for my front porch area, only getting one though

10+ Year Old Account
    it's like a 3d TV; i'll get it when it's cheaper.

these things always start out expensive and as technology progresses the become more cost effective to make and thus making them cheaper. LED is the future though, they last longer and they eminate less heat then say TL.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have replaced more or less all my lights with LED lights and my power cost has gone down LOADS and if you dont settle for the cheap crap ones, you wont notice the difference, some of them even give better lighting imo. Most of the ones i use, cost around 50$ each. Id go for it, might want to look around more and see if you can get it cheaper somewhere else? But, last words: GO FOR IT!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to get LED lights... But to be honesty we rarely have the lights on around here except the TL in our kitchen that is kept on all night for walking to the bathroom at night lol :P

Deleted
    Of course it will get cheaper, duh.. 60$ seems like an already fair price to me.

So, compared to regular incandescent light bulbs these led bulbs cost 50-60 times more, but use only 4-6 times less energy.
    You would have to use these quite a long time to get your money back, but maybe in few years these cost less.
    I would say that at the moment it would be stupid to change all your regular bulbs to LED bulbs and spend hundreds of dollars.
    Also note that (atleast currently) making these LED bulbs harms environment more compared to making regular bulbs.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    So, compared to regular incandescent light bulbs these led bulbs cost 50-60 times more, but use only 4-6 times less energy.
    You would have to use these quite a long time to get your money back, but maybe in few years these cost less.
    I would say that at the moment it would be stupid to change all your regular bulbs to LED bulbs and spend hundreds of dollars.
    Also note that (atleast currently) making these LED bulbs harms environment more compared to making regular bulbs.
    ITT: We make claims without referencing sources.

Warning: Please, refrain from using memes like, "ITT:". They're not allowed on this site.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-04-17 at 10:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll wait for them to go down in price. They are supposed to go down 20-30 dollars according to the article if they can work out a deal.

I really like the light that LED's put off, but for now I will stick to my standard incandescent bulbs cause I can't stand florescent lighting. Not to mention those bulbs are terribly expensive and only last 6 months for me.

In places with poor power, irregular voltages, unclean sinusoidal AC sine wave or just under or overvoltages, the LEDs will have a dramatically lower life than they should.

The key is making sure that the power coming into the house is clean. And it's worth it to invest in power cleaning devices because all of your electric devices will benefit significantly and it can make a huge difference.

As a former network engineer, I know clean power makes all the difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
    In places with poor power, irregular voltages, unclean sinusoidal AC sine wave or just under or overvoltages, the LEDs will have a dramatically lower life than they should.

The key is making sure that the power coming into the house is clean. And it's worth it to invest in power cleaning devices because all of your electric devices will benefit significantly and it can make a huge difference.

As a former network engineer, I know clean power makes all the difference.
    Can't that be said for all lightbulbs though?

I read an interesting article about how incandescent bulbs actually reduce overall energy consumption if you live in an area with a cold climate, because each 40 watt incandescent bulb raises the average temperature of an average room by .5 degrees or something, so having several on to light your house actually reduces your heating bill.

I wish I had the source, because it was sound science.

Be that as it may, if you don't live somewhere where you're heating your house 6 months of the year, an LED bulb might be a nice thing to have. At least 5 years before it will malfunction, low energy costs. LED light tends to be glarey but meh. Some people won't mind. No flourescent light 120hz flashing, either. So, that's a benefit for the people who can see/hear the flourescent lights.

It's a "your mileage may vary" kind of situation, in all honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwaker View Post
    ITT: We make claims without referencing sources.
    The source is in the article the OP linked; though granted he said incandescent bulbs when the numbers he quoted are for CFL bulbs;
    But the Philips bulb is not only up against $1 incandescent bulbs. CFL are nearly as energy efficient. They use about 15 watts for 60 watts worth of light. They're much cheaper too, typically costing around $5.
    They draw 1/4 the energy and cost 12 times as much. They probably have a monopoly on the technology for the moment and are using that in conjunction with the hipster-esque need to get something new before it becomes mainstream to make maximum profits, without asking such an outrageous price that it harms their PR.

Point of possible interest; Some office buildings are combining LED technology with wireless access technology, so this might have home applications too. Source: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/201...s-network.html That would be pretty sweet for using in, say, a college dorm or a university.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2012-04-17 at 10:03 AM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    ugh. im not a fan of LED lighting- most of them give me a headache after too long.
    I dont likfe the CFL's due to the whole mercury thing
    And now they will phase out the old bulbs.

It could be worth the cost in the long run, saving money on all of those bulb replacements that would occur in that 20 year period.

Quote Originally Posted by Osyrus View Post
    ugh. im not a fan of LED lighting- most of them give me a headache after too long.
    I dont likfe the CFL's due to the whole mercury thing
    And now they will phase out the old bulbs.
    CFLs end up giving off less mercury than incandescents because of how prevalent coal power is. The energy that they save ends up lowering the output of coal plants, lowering the amount of mercury the coal plants give off by more than the amount that the bulb itself gives off in a landfill.

LED light tends to be glarey but meh. Some people won't mind. No flourescent light 120hz flashing.

I prefer the color temperature of LED and CFLs. Even if they cost more and used more energy, I'd still buy them just for that reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 3 of these in one of my ceiling fans, they light up instantly (unlike those spiral energy saver ones I used to have), are much, much brighter than incandescents and give off no heat. I highly recommend them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call me when it's $10 and lasts 10 years.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-409904...d_rhf_se_shvl7

Price seems reasonable and it is a 60w+ equivalent. Plus these have really good colour.

LED lights are great imo.