Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Portuguese/Brazilian realms are killing the game !!!

I for the love of Christ cannot count how many times I've had the Portuguese and Brazilian people in my groups which have resulted in countless fail groups and wipes. The language barrier is just too big to have a successful run. Let me make it clear I ain't saying that they are bad players but from my experience most of them are.

The realms that gets me shuddering are Nemesis, Goldrinn, Ragnaros, Quel' somthing, and a couple others but these few stand out especially Nemesis. Everyone run I've seen someone from Nemesis it has been a bad run. I am currently levelling a druid and most the low level dungeons are suppose to be smooth sailing. However, they ain't. I've never had such a hard time ever before transferring to the Emerald Dream. I transferred off Doomhammer from the Nightfall BG.

And the most annoying part is that even after sending them countless whispers and asking dozens of questions they simply chose to ignore you. Or one of them will simply say, "I am Brazilian. I speak no english". When I don't heal them to get their attention, I usually get a response immediately with one word only.."Heal!!!" It is bearable to a certain extent when the person is a DPS. You can carry the group, however, when it is a tank with 2-3 others from these realms it just becomes too much. I end up dropping the group at the start. In fact, I am always checking the realms of the people in my group at the start of every instance to make sure I don't have any of them.

I mean if Blizzard is focusing so much on PUGS and putting all its efforts in the LFG and LFR function shouldn't it be made smoother and enjoyable to people that use these features? Why can't Blizzard move these realms or at least give some kind of option when queueing for dungeons.

And the most annoying part is that these people make it a point to speak their language in the party chat when 2 or more group together. Like WTF are you thinking????

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why language has any effect. I've had dozens, if not a hundred or more perfectly fine runs with completely silent groups, of which I am sure not all spoke English.

Bad players are bad players, regardless of language. The ones that do speak English tell me to fuck off when I correct them, so I consider them ignoring me a blessing.

Deleted
    I feel you. Same thing for me when I end up with a group of polaks or russians in a league of legends game. Makes me wanna slash my wrists.

What a ridiculously racist and ignorant post. T11, T12 and T13 have all been dominated by non-English speaking (as a primary) guilds.

More to the point of your topic, I have grouped with so many Nemesis people in BG's and LFR/D and have wiped just as many times as I did before we were put into those groups. It's just bad players, not a language barrier.
    Last edited by Prag; 2012-04-17 at 04:25 PM.

I agree that some sort of revision of the realms/areas that are grouped together needs to be done just simply for smoother gameplay. However they probably think the same thing when 3 people are speaking english in party chat. It goes both ways.

This post is racist, and so is some of the answers.

I am on a Portuguese realm (Swedish myself though, followed my guild) and the Portuguese people I have the pleasure of playing with are among the best I've ever encountered, both in gameplay and as people. I have encountered bad players from every culture playing this game, I cannot say that some have been more represented than others. I'm too old for that sort of thinking.

You and others should really learn to accept diversity, and not generalize.

Deleted
    Fail thread is fail.

Shamans to ally and palas to horde already killed teh gam... wut?

Less racist more elitist !

FYI , you can run a dungeon without having to understand every single word that is said in said dungeon, works well when you are with multiple -insert random nationality- players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Language barriers can definitely be a problem. I have very rarely had that issue and never with more than one player at a time

I think you may just be unlucky with your groups
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    What a ridiculously racist and ignorant post. T11, T12 and T13 have all been dominated by non-English speaking (as a primary) guilds. Why you would associate them not speaking English with wiping.
    It's not that Brazilian players are any worse than those from other countries, it's that they have been placed in a predominantly English speaking battlegroups and there is no way to communicate to them what they need to do differently to succeed if they are just learning the game. I actually quit running dungeons when leveling my mage because I had a number of groups with people who only spoke Portuguese and had no idea what they were doing. When you wait 20 minutes for a dungeon, get a pally tank in full intellect gear who doesn't have a clue what they are doing as a tank, doesn't speak a word of English and you can't kick them for 10 minutes because of Blizzard LFD rules, it does not make for an enjoyable game experience. Blizzard has gone on record as saying group content should require communication and I agree, so why are they grouping people together who can't communicate.

I have to agree. They need their own separate LFR/LFD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    And the most annoying part is that these people make it a point to speak their language in the party chat when 2 or more group together. Like WTF are you thinking????
    i LOLd at this. are you serious? if you need to talk to do LFR or randoms, you are doing it wrong... also, expecting people to speak english to play "your game" is ridiculous. WoW is not an American only game. get over it.

I'm from Costa Rica. I would say 8 out of every 10 random heroics I queue for, I'm the one carrying the rest of the group. Nothing like doing 30k DPS as a tank, and have everybody else be below 10k.

Don't blame a language or a flag on skill, because you will find bad players from all countries and ages.

Here's a tip though: A good player is more than enough to carry 4 other bads, on any heroic dungeon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have actually noticed this occurring more often lately as well. I think that there needs to be a solution put in place for this language barrier problem. It makes it impossible to communicate in pug's. Even if they are great players, there is still a level of communication that needs to take place like "who has interrupts", etc. I don't know if the amount of spanish/portugese speaking players is enough to justify their own battlegroup, but that could be a solution.

Again, I have no problem with people not knowing English....I'm not racist by any means. I do think that it hinders effective communication and success in certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't see why language has any effect. I've had dozens, if not a hundred or more perfectly fine runs with completely silent groups, of which I am sure not all spoke English.

Bad players are bad players, regardless of language. The ones that do speak English tell me to fuck off when I correct them, so I consider them ignoring me a blessing.
    Like I said in my post I ain't saying they are actually bad. But for example if someone that understands and has a good command of the English language screws up on a fight you can explain and point what he/she is doing right/wrong. You attempt it and hopefully get it right this time. But it isn't the same with the Prot/Brazilians. They simply cannot understand what you are saying. When you ask they to go right, they go left. When you ask them to stop they pull 2-3 packs and you are out of mana.

Hello Wynterlyn,

First off I guess I should mention that I am portuguese, and I don't intend to have a flame war of some sort, but this post was upsetting even though I know I am not a part of the group you mentioned.

Yes, it is true, there are several portuguese players who aren't brilliant at this game to say the least, but does that allow you to make this generalization that portuguese/ brazilian players are ruining your gameplay?

1. That is called a fallacy of hasty generalization.
    2. As the user above stated correctly, it is absurd to talk about a correlation between language and skill. It is true that perhaps because the player's native language isn't english, they might not understand fully what their abilities can do, but then again I can reassure you that there are portuguese / brazilian players playing in those top guilds e.g. Method.

Deleted
    Only problem that I've experienced so far is when I've done some bgs and people of this bg don't want to speak any other language than their mothers tounge which is a bit annoying when the "leader" or I tries to communicate and tell people what base to take which ofc end up in chaos because those people/I don't understand each others.

Think I've ended up with a russian/ Greek/ spanish and Portugeese premades so far and none of them did understand or wanted to talk english which takes on your nerves when you try to ask if they can't talk engish so we can achieve the same goal to win? Once when I asked this I got kicked for no reason...
    Last edited by mmoc9b320eb14f; 2012-04-17 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    It's not that Brazilian players are any worse than those from other countries, it's that they have been placed in a predominantly English speaking battlegroups and there is no way to communicate to them what they need to do differently to succeed if they are just learning the game. I actually quit running dungeons when leveling my mage because I had a number of groups with people who only spoke Portuguese and had no idea what they were doing. When you wait 20 minutes for a dungeon, get a pally tank in full intellect gear who doesn't have a clue what they are doing as a tank, doesn't speak a word of English and you can't kick them for 10 minutes because of Blizzard LFD rules, it does not make for an enjoyable game experience. Blizzard has gone on record as saying group content should require communication and I agree, so why are they grouping people together who can't communicate.
    I thought the client translated things?

Either way, whether that Pally Tank spoke English or not, chances are you weren't the first to call him on it and he probably wasn't going to just teleport out and completely re-gear, especially with how easy all of the 5-man content is.

If there's a mechanic someone in the group isn't understanding I just link the boss ability in chat (so it translates and opens their Dungeon Journal). That usually gets them to either fix it or tell me to 'stfu'.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    What a ridiculously racist and ignorant post. T11, T12 and T13 have all been dominated by non-English speaking (as a primary) guilds.

More to the point of your topic, I have grouped with so many Nemesis people in BG's and LFR/D and have wiped just as many times as I did before we were put into those groups. It's just bad players, not a language barrier.
    You have just contradicted yourself here. If you are saying that all the earlier tiers have been dominated by non - English speaking guilds then it only shows how important communication is in any encounter which seems to be lacking when you are grouped with them. You also know what I am talking about since you have some experience. Like I said in my earlier post, bad players that understand english can be taught, the ones that can't understand nor speak makes it impossible to complete a dungeon.

Deleted
    The guilds on the only real (if not mistaken) Portuguese/brazilian server (Aggra - EU) wants to have a word with you....

wowprogress.com/pve/eu/aggra

I'm brazilian and I play in Azralon, a "brazilian" (because servers are still located in the US sigh) realm that OP didn't mention.

Your post isn't racist nor am I offended by it at all. In fact I think it's a valid concern and both sides would greatly benefit if battlegroups were distinct between english speakers and portuguese speakers, you can find a LOT of threads in the brazilian WoW forums with the other side of the coin, with a lot of players complaining that they got kicked or couldn't communicate with other english speaking players in a group. To a vast portion of the playerbase, in fact, they can't understand this happening, because the concept of battlegroups is alien to them and they think because there is a portuguese version of wow and brazilian realms they'll only interact with brazilian players.

I think the issue of truly separating is that there aren't enough brazilian players to make the queue times bearable and you can't group us with the rest of latin america since spanish is just as foreign as english (my spanish is way worse than my english and I can't understand it at a reasonable level).

All that said, you'd do yourself a favor by moving to a different battlegroup. I'd do the same if I didn't have friends here and enjoyed talking in my native language, because the overall prejudice against brazilians in mmos is not unfounded, the general level of play is abysmal and the trade chat hurts my gramatically sensitive eyes.
    Last edited by Satori; 2012-04-17 at 04:38 PM.
    Cairne wanted to thank him again, to offer encouragement, praise for a task so successfully completed. For being able to bear such burdens. But Saurfang was an orc, not a blood elf, and lavish compliments and effusion would not be welcomed or wanted.