Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dev summary April 10th - April 16th

For the full summary with post links click here.

Originally Posted by MMO-Champion

Studio GM and BioWare co-founder Dr. Greg Zeschuk
    • The 30 days free game time promotion will now be awarded to anyone who has reached Legacy Level 6 instead of just people who have a lvl 50 toon.
    • As long as you have either a lvl 50 toon or have reached Legacy lvl 6 by April 22nd at noon CDT you will receive the 30 days free game time.
    • The 30 days will be applied to accounts by April 25th at 11:59pm CDT.

Principal Lead Combat Designer Georg Zoeller
    • Reverse Engineering of War Hero and Battlemaster orange gear is something that is currently being worked on.
    • Clarified that if an item does not state "Research Available" when you hover over it, there is zero chance you will learn anything from RE'ing that item.
    • Offered congratulations to players who helped to figure out the mystery of the Unusual Egg.
    • Clarified that both factions can obtain and refine magenta crystal shards.
    • Offered encouragement to people trying to figure out how to catch the tauntaun on hoth.
    • Reminded everyone that there are still hidden things out there for people to find that people haven't even realized are out there yet.

Lead Game Designer Daniel Erickson
    • Reassured players that they are keeping a close eye on how the new warzone rules are affecting gameplay, and checking to make sure the sort of gameplay they want to see is happening.
    • Reminded players that how well your team does directly affects the rewards you obtain. This means that if your team falls behind it is in your interest to fight back and make the game as close as possible instead of just giving up.
    • They are planning on reducing the number of medals required to obtain rewards to 1 (down from 3).

Sr. Designer Austin Peckenpaugh
    • Confirmed that the over all damage and dps for Death From Above has not changed in 1.2. What has changed is that the ticks happen faster and each tick does slightly less damage.
    • Clarified that the reason Grav Round was changed was because that one ability contributed to the over all dps of a trooper by too large of a margin. They fixed this by lowering Grav Round's damage and increasing the damage of Demo Round.
    • Clarified that Commandos didn't receive a free respec with 1.2 because their talent trees didn't change enough to warrant one.

Sr. Online Community Manager Stephen Reid
    • Players who were affected by the early patching of 1.2 launcher issue (4/11) will receive three days of game time as compensation for that whole snafu. These three days should be on the affected players accounts by 4/17.
    • All active subscribers will receive one day of free game time as compensation for the unexpected downtime of the servers on 4/13.

Looking forward to my free month. Thanks for posting this.

Free month, sounds a bit like a stunt to get some subs back, any1 got any recent sub numbes? just out of pure curiosity

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I gotta Google the Unusual Egg story now.

---------- Post added 2012-04-17 at 02:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Badluckandtrouble View Post
    Free month, sounds a bit like a stunt to get some subs back, any1 got any recent sub numbes? just out of pure curiosity
    No one has recent sub numbers. The fiscal quarter isn't over yet. Stop speculating that everything Bioware does means the game is tanking. It makes you look dumb.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badluckandtrouble View Post
    Well the free month mostly revolves around those who have been active enough to obtain the requirements for it. Most people who had quit don't have those requirements. Its like a PR thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Well the free month mostly revolves around those who have been active enough to obtain the requirements for it. Most people who had quit don't have those requirements. Its like a PR thank you.
    What department of Bioware/EA do you work in?

Getting to lvl50 is maybe a month's playtime and lvl6 Legacy is even less.

This new move reeks of desperation.
    CoryEverson: lvl80 Death Knight (Lich King)

Quote Originally Posted by sd78 View Post
    So does your post.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by kalinah View Post
    So does your post.

Play nice there's no need to get all nasty.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    all good work by Bioware id say, all nice positive moves.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Did Bioware kick your puppy? I don't understand why it's so important for you (and people like you) for this game to fail. Don't you get it? The MMO genre benefits from strong market competition. There's only stagnation and misery to be gained from one company (Blizzard) dominating the market with one game (WOW). Want a perfect example? See: Cataclysm. Strong competition forces companies to up their game and constantly put forth the best possible product. Whether they realize it or not, gamers need SWTOR to succeed. And when it does, the ONLY possible result is that we all win.

So while you're over there reveling in the thought that Bioware is "desperate" for subscribers, and how you were so right all along, you totally saw it coming... you're really only shooting yourself in the face. WAKE UP.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

The game has been out for a grand total of four months.

Bioware are now giving away a full month FREE.

Oh boy.
    CoryEverson: lvl80 Death Knight (Lich King)

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't reek of desperation. It reeks of a gaming company listening to its subscribers who said that just being level 50 wasn't enough. They wanted to benefit as well even if they never quite made it to end game but have maintained a subscription (like myself). I still play though I haven't gotten myself all the way to 50 on any of my characters.

Idk.. to me the biggest thing here is that they are giving everyone who was affected by the issue with the Launcher on 4/11 3 days free game time is a much bigger deal than the 30 days free thing. I mean I am excited to get another month free, but it's really good of them to give people who were affected by that three days of game time.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, back in time blizzard was so sure of the "loyal" playerbase that they just gave 1 day, and i can asure you that hurted them pretty deeeeeeply.
    BW has 4 months with SWTOR, they're still learning the trade, maybe a bit low, but they're thinking fast, they know ppl today just whine and whine about everything so they try to keep calm the playerbase, maybe a bit too much, but this is just a reward for us who have played since the start, us who knows that a game like this needs time, us who comprehend that we can't have the "ALL NAO OR I QUIT" way of thinking...
    for everyone else will be just a desperate move to maintanin subs...

so "SYT" and keep playing whatever you play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game has been out for a grand total of four months.

Bioware are now giving away a full month FREE.

Oh boy.
    It is great on their part that they are doing this. You can't give any reasons as to why this is bad on their part.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Originally Posted by MMO-Champion

Sr. Online Community Manager Stephen Reid
    • Players who were affected by the early patching of 1.2 launcher issue (4/11) will receive three days of game time as compensation for that whole snafu.
    Situation Normal All Fucked Up may not be the way you want to address your game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    Hahah I never realized it was meant that way... hell I haven't even heard anyone say snafu in years! But to be fair, that situation was a little screwed up so that reward is great compensation.

That's TOTALLY why when they first announced it and the only req was to have a 50 they got a ton of complaints about day 1 subscribers not qualifying because they still didn't have a 50 toon, so they changed it some to make it easier to get.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    Just for clarification.. that was my wording not theirs. The reason I don't just quote their summaries is because if you read them they don't actually tell you any info unless you read the posts they link. So to make it more useful I read the dev posts and summarize what they said, so you can get the info without having to read their posts if you don't want to.

So basically if I post something and it is "Originally posted by MMO-Champion" it will be my wording, if it is "Originally posted by SWTOR" then it is a direct quote from them

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ah. It was clear somebody was summarizing, but not who.