Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Prot with 0 hit rating.

Is this doable? Cause right now I have 0 hit rating, and it feels verrry bad, I have never lost threat on a serious boss but sometimes on add fights or trash pulls rng faks me over and I'll get a chain of missed aoe hits and someone will pull. Should I reforge some, and if so, what would be the minimum acceptable hit%?

Love you long time.

It's doable yes. A lot of tanks do. Having hit isn't the end of the world, if you think it helps, then keep it. I know DKs get hit on gloves. I'm not sure about other tank gloves though.

honestly, if ur under the cap, might as well be all the way under the cap at zero. If you want to hit the cap, hit it, dont chicken out and only go part way there. Cuz if your 99% hit capped, that 1% will still happen. Hit cap all the way.

Depends motly on the content you`re doing. If you die alot but have no issue with threat then you can sacrifice more threat stats, and visa versa.

Deleted
    Wouldn't actually hitting the melee hit cap as prot make it near impossible to hit the block cap at the same time?

I haven't read some of the most recent stuff but last I heard, people were pretty much ignoring hit capping, but still running with at least some hit rating on their gear.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    honestly, if ur under the cap, might as well be all the way under the cap at zero. If you want to hit the cap, hit it, dont chicken out and only go part way there. Cuz if your 99% hit capped, that 1% will still happen. Hit cap all the way.
    Right, except it will happen far less often... I don't understand this logic at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    Right, except it will happen far less often... I don't understand this logic at all.
    The logic is, that regardless of how close you are to the hit cap, there is still a % chance that it will miss, and those dice will roll for everything you do.

Rule #1 of dps is to be cautious of threat. Rule #2 of dps with threat redirection is to burn all DPS cds and redirect threat on the pull (trix is only situational though, if you don't have enough MD in your group). One of the rules of tanking (farther down the list) is to have excellent threat notifiers and keep your taunts/fixates ready under your trigger finger first 10 seconds or so of any fight.

Since the threat tweaks in firelands, most tanking classes should dump hit to the floor. As a druid in this tier I simply have no choice than to carry a little hit, but it's a total waste of stats. I had absolutely no problem with intelligent DPS and a well-timed taunt a few seconds after each pull when my hit was almost zero.

The logic is, that regardless of how close you are to the hit cap, there is still a % chance that it will miss, and those dice will roll for everything you do.
    using that logic: We all have a chance of stepping on a nail everyday. If you're wearing shoes it might still puncture the shoe so if you're not wearing plated boots you might as well be barefoot. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    Wouldn't actually hitting the melee hit cap as prot make it near impossible to hit the block cap at the same time?
    Not at all. I'm at CTC cap with roughly 7% hit and 35-ish expertise (I cheat with expertise, since I'm human, though), and I'm not even in my BiS for normal DS.

The only hit you're taking is to either stamina or dodge/parry stacking after hitting the CTC cap. The delta between the stamina stacking and threat stacking gear-sets is something like 30k to 40k HP, from what I recall.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I know DKs get hit on gloves. I'm not sure about other tank gloves though.
    Saywhatnow? Hit over Mastery or even Armor, are you being serious? o.O
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-04-17 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled
    I know DKs get hit on gloves. I'm not sure about other tank gloves though.
    Saywhatnow? Hit over Mastery or even Armor, are you being serious? o.O
    Pretty sure he just meant the hit that's on the tier gloves, not that we enchant hit, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    Pretty sure he just meant the hit that's on the tier gloves, not that we enchant hit, lol.
    Oh, thank god. D:

10+ Year Old Account
    I hit and expertise cap simply because I prefer my dmg to be decent , generally I'll do between 16k-25k dps(depends on fight h-morchok is my 16k/17k, while h-ultrax I end up with 22k) while tanking, my setup has me 4% below CTC cap for my normal setup, and I don't run into any issues with how I have my pally built. It depends on your healers I find, mine are comfortable with the way I run as a tank because there are only a few things that actually do enough of a dmg spike to put my hp pool at risk(245k hp with fort/flask/kings/food, think it gets up to 269k or so with the passive from resto shaman heals)\

It all comes down to whether or not your style works for your raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

15+ Year Old Account
    My Paladin has prot as 3rd spec and only tanks dungeons for guildchalenges, with mostly 378 pieces. It has 0 hit and 0 expertise and I don´t lose aggro.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    I hit and expertise cap simply because I prefer my dmg to be decent , generally I'll do between 16k-25k dps(depends on fight h-morchok is my 16k/17k, while h-ultrax I end up with 22k) while tanking, my setup has me 4% below CTC cap for my normal setup, and I don't run into any issues with how I have my pally built. It depends on your healers I find, mine are comfortable with the way I run as a tank because there are only a few things that actually do enough of a dmg spike to put my hp pool at risk(245k hp with fort/flask/kings/food, think it gets up to 269k or so with the passive from resto shaman heals)It all comes down to whether or not your style works for your raid.

you don't even need hit or exp cap for those kind of numbers, 1.88% hit 4(+10) expertise, think I hit 24k on ultraxion this week, of course my gear helps but I've done nothing to gear/gem for anything but survival (sitting on almost 300k fully raidbuffed with a resto shaman).

I don't always tank. But when I do, it really annoys the crap out of me when a spell is missed, dodged or parried.

I snagged some expertise on my pally just to boost it up to around 26 and I have around 1% hit. I found I was missing some shield tosses and a few other things. My dps was still carrying a pug but i wanted to make it so that I can nuke and not worry at all. Sure It is my job to tank but at times you need that extra 20k hit just to finish a boss.

In half regular DS, half heroic DS gear, I am at expertise soft cap (26) and almost at hit cap. As long as you are blockcapped, it doesn't really matter what you do. That is the wonderful world of paladin tank gearing after about the middle of Firelands.

Is this doable? Cause right now I have 0 hit rating, and it feels verrry bad
    Think you just answered your own question. Some of the gear you get in Dragon Soul should have Hit on it (Ring/Gloves). If you think it feels bad, then maybe you should should leave the Hit on your gear alone rather than reforging it away.

I have never lost threat on a serious boss but sometimes on add fights or trash pulls rng faks me over and I'll get a chain of missed aoe hits and someone will pull.
    When you are dealing with little to no Hit, there is always the risk that you might miss. That's what Misdirect is for. If you are getting pulled off of after threat is established, you may want to get more Hit.

More often than not though if you have Threat issues it isn't RNG or stat allocation, it comes down to your ability usage.