Poll: How old were you when your favorite video game of all time released?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Tie between FFVII and FFVIII.

I was 20ish when FFVII came out.

Kingdom Hearts II, which came out when I was 12. No game has left such an emotional impact on me quite like that game did. Heavy Rain was close though.

it seems pretty accurate, two of my top three games are from when i was 14 or 15, and the third top game is only from slightly later, when i was about 17.

Super Metroid: 1994, wasn't born.
    Pokémon Red: 1998, was 3 years by then.
    Metroid Prime: 2003, 8 years old.
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 2008, 13 years.

I loved 5-10, simply because that's where the majority of my favorite games were released. And if you haven't figured out yet, I was born in 1995, and I am European, so that affects the release dates ofcourse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy 6 (US 3) is my fav. game and it came out when I was 13 (1994). So you're right on my account.

EDIT: Reading these responses makes me feel old. All these kids being born in the mid 90s...
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2012-04-18 at 11:59 AM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Bioshock. It came out in 2007 (IIRC) and I was 35. At last count I've played through the first Bioshock 31 times. I just love it that much.

I can't think of a single game I'd count as my favorite before Mario 64 was released. While I was heavy into gaming it was mostly in the arcade playing fighting games.

Some of my favorite games came around that time, but not nearly all of them. I've also got plenty of games from that time period I consider favorites now, but I didn't actually play them until I was 20+.

Zelda: Wind Waker, I was 9.

Diablo II and Pokemon are the two that stand out in my mind as all-time favorites, games that I could pick up today and have the same fun time running through that I first did years ago. That was 1999/2000 respectively, which put me at around age 12.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    At this point it's not unusual for people's favorite games to be things that came out when they were very young, or even before they were born. A better question might be "how old were you when you first played your favorite game?"

DMC 4- Age 14
    Star's Ocean: The Last Hope- Age 16
    AC- Age 13. Didn't really get into this one until the second one, but the first one still hooked me.

Legends of Zelda is too awesome to be called a favorite game. Age -7

10+ Year Old Account
    Silent Hill 2, I was 14~15 years old.

I couldn't tell you what my favorite game of all time is because I've played a LOT of games. My favorite Final Fantasy though would be IV (or II as it was called when I originally got it) and I would have been 8 or 9 years old when I got it, I think? (had to wikipedia the release date and I know I didn't get it right when it came out) First game that got me into RPG's was the original Dragon Warrior and I would have been 8 when that came out.

The thing with this hypothesis is that its really.. well off.

The reason being is a majority of people that vote here or come to this site are between the 12-30 range to begin with (some people are older but most of you arent) then take in that true video games are somewhat of a new concept, im not talking pong or pacman, but big name console stuff we can grow up with. On top of that most people didnt start playing games like this till your about 7 years old, anything really before that, your pressing buttons and making the game do flashy things, you didnt start to think about it till later.

Also, how good a game will be to you is how well you can play it, if you cant play the game, the game will suck because you never could do it. This requires some measure of skill, which you didnt get till, your 11-15 range :P

Suddenly your able to beat games!!! OMG!! Some people beat easier games earlier, some people beat them later, but you truly gain your "skillz" around the age of puberty when all your senses (more then just sex drive :P) get heighten to a point where you could do more and accomplish more, so you get more entrenched in a game. You might change your favorite game later, but if you look back it will most likely share similarities to the games from your past just when you started being able to beat them.

-my theory-

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post

The reason being is a majority of people that vote here or come to this site are between the 12-30 range to begin with (some people are older but most of you arent) then take in that true video games are somewhat of a new concept, im not talking pong or pacman, but big name console stuff we can grow up with. On top of that most people didnt start playing games like this till your about 7 years old, anything really before that, your pressing buttons and making the game do flashy things, you didnt start to think about it till later.

Also, how good a game will be to you is how well you can play it, if you cant play the game, the game will suck because you never could do it. This requires some measure of skill, which you didnt get till, your 11-15 range :P

Suddenly your able to beat games!!! OMG!! Some people beat easier games earlier, some people beat them later, but you truly gain your "skillz" around the age of puberty when all your senses (more then just sex drive :P) get heighten to a point where you could do more and accomplish more, so you get more entrenched in a game. You might change your favorite game later, but if you look back it will most likely share similarities to the games from your past just when you started being able to beat them.

-my theory-
    I'll prove your theory wrong I started playing video games around 4-5 with a Colecovision. One of the reasons I first got into RPG's was because they were the first games that I wasn't blowing through easily. And as I said in my earlier post, I got my first RPG when I was about 8. My favorite games are the ones that had stories I consider memorable and enjoyable. For the most part, games I finished quickly were less memorable.

Deleted
    Metal Gear Solid 3 - 2004

I was 10 when this was released. Greatest game of all time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kingdom Hearts II: 2006. I was 13. OP's theory is right!

motherofgod.jpg
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post

-my theory-
    You call my theory flawed, then you back up my theory.

You are either confused, or the worst debater ever.

I never said why I think that ppl love games from that age range, I just thought they did. So far the votes backup my hypothesis.

A few of my top favourites came out in the last couple years actually, so I'll say 16-20.

Pokemon HG/SS, Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy 2. Along with WoW, those are probably my favourite games ever.