Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I just cannot get used to keybinds, no matter how hard I try it just never seems as effective as just clicking and pressing the 1,2,3,4 keys that I can easily reach. I've played my Marauder through HM EV and KP by clicking, and I played a DK tank through HC raids in wow by just clicking and never had any issues and got pretty good at it. Obviously people will say LOLCLICKNOOBLOL but tbh its my game and I'll play it how I want.

75-80 keybinds just seems extreme to me so I'd say just find you're own way of playing and a way you feel comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    What about Shadow? Is it just pebble and chunk of ground throw with a few light sabre attacks?
    I'm a shadow and I use around 30 abilities throughout any given op. You will hate it.
    Last edited by Duskmourne; 2012-04-18 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukazor View Post
    I just cannot get used to keybinds, no matter how hard I try it just never seems as effective as just clicking and pressing the 1,2,3,4 keys that I can easily reach. I've played my Marauder through HM EV and KP by clicking, and I played a DK tank through HC raids in wow by just clicking and never had any issues and got pretty good at it. Obviously people will say LOLCLICKNOOBLOL but tbh its my game and I'll play it how I want.

75-80 keybinds just seems extreme to me so I'd say just find you're own way of playing and a way you feel comfortable with.
    Pretty sure I saw some gladiator shaman who clicked almost everything. It's not as ineffective as ppl assume.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

With my sorceror, I have 34 abilities I use frequently, 6 of them are NOT bound with hotkeys, 28 are

on my juggernaut, its even more, but I really enjoy that

played wow from vanilla to wotlk as a clicker though, I was a pretty decent pve and pvp player, so I'd never bash a clicker. But I'd never go back now, its much more comfortable and there are way too many abilities in swtor you need to activate instantly when needed.

Deleted
    well if you play a sorcerer you only need 1 key so.. .. . . . lightning in ya face-_-
    Last edited by mmoc1df05d2972; 2012-04-18 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MmoFanatic View Post
    well if you play a sorcerer you only need 1 key so..
    Judging by your evaluation you seem to lose a lot against sorcerors who use only 1 button, I'd advise you to change your tactics against them. tell me what class you play and I'll glady assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by MmoFanatic View Post
    well if you play a sorcerer you only need 1 key...
    ...assuming you are absolutely terrible, have no clue how to play your class, and like getting your ass stomped by anything and anyone.

Deleted
    I play as rage spec on my marauder (PvP rage specc) And I can say that I use most of my skills, there's like 3-4 skills that I don't use (which aren't useful in PvP)

People seem to be talking PvP for some reason and no where have I ever mentioned this being about PvP. This is a PVE discussion. I find it very hard to believe people are dropping 25-30 abilities while grinding dailies.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 08:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duskmourne View Post
    I'm a shadow and I use around 30 abilities throughout any given op. You will hate it.
    Guess its back to my sorcerer then. Really wanted to try a Shadow or Guardian out too.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It helped me a lot to categorize my abilities (resource generation/burn, cc, shields, etc). Then just associate the type of ability with the ctrl, alt, or shift button. Make use of the new UI, too. If you don't care to do that, you can still stick to 4 or 5 abilities if you just quest with a friend.

I've been successful in MMOs in the past and only used a handful of abilities. Yes, I liked to key bind about 10 or so abilities outside of my usual 1-4 keys. Counting them up I had 12 key binds outside of the number bar, and I only used about half of those on a regular basis.

I'm not sure why you guys all have 30+ key bindings. I was given a naga and I find the buttons almost overwhelming. I loved my G5 mouse.

@ OP - I have found there are lots of abilities and they're all useful in certain situations, but you'll only need a handful to be successful (I'd say probably 90% of situations). I'm also in the exact same boat as you. I also found myself not using certain abilities on my BH because others fit the situation just fine or better. Plus they cost too much to use for the benefit.
    Sith Juggernaught - Stealwool "The Great"
    8723 Endurance - 8123 Strength - No Buffs!
    Sabotage #1 US & EU
    Krayt Dragon - World First NM - 10/10
    <Ultra Uber> - Full Heroic Mode clear - Easymode
    Shamahaiera - 85 Shaman - 3500 Arena Rating

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of abilities, and it's a bit overwhelming at first... but that's what separates the wheat from the chaff. Easy to learn, difficult to master.

You'll figure it out.

BTW I'm a Sentinel.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    on the contrary, i can't play a class just with 5 or 6 buttons, it feels awkward, i need to have almost everything binded.
    really man try it, and don't call on your age, it hurts for us who are about to get there D:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.

You might want to check out DC Universe Online. The way it was designed probably fits what you're looking for perfectly. You get a lot of abilities, but you're only allowed to designate six of them that you can use. You can change them out of combat, but not during. Makes for some interesting combinations and playstyles. It's also free to play so you can just download it and have some mindless fun while saving the world with your superpowers
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    People seem to be talking PvP for some reason and no where have I ever mentioned this being about PvP. This is a PVE discussion. I find it very hard to believe people are dropping 25-30 abilities while grinding dailies. Really wanted to try a Shadow or Guardian out too.
    If you're just doing PvE, you can use maybe 5 or 6 abilities as a guardian if you're killing normal mobs. I only have my usual attacks keybound. There's a bunch of abilities these guys are binding that you'll (almost) never use in pve. If you're fighting harder mobs, you might want to use some of them, but they all have long enough cooldowns you can just click them when needed.

Guardians do have pretty bad ability bloat, but so many are situational that you don't need to worry about a lot of them most of the time.

Tankassin = 2, 3, 5, z, e, q, f, 4, c, v, and sometimes t and g.

oh and you gotta hit z every 8 seconds. every. 8. seconds.

believe me when I say that, even while leveling, those extra abilities come in handy. There will definitely be a few "damage" abilities you almost never use depending on your spec (on my Juggernaut I hardly ever use Ravage, on my tank Shadow I almost never use Mind Crush), but the thing about SWTOR's combat is that even the combat while leveling takes a level of thought and strategy I'm not used to seeing in other games. For example, you might never use Saber Ward in normal leveling, but having it handy for tough boss mobs or emergency situations is critical and will save your bacon. That also includes your stuns and things. So, while you can just "zone out" and use 4-5 buttons on basic mobs, you should still have those other abilities within reach, because tough fights and emergencies are quite common in this game.
    I hope that answered your question.
    My personal opinion: I love having this many abilities, and nearly all of them being useful, even outside of PVP/raiding. It teaches you how to play your class much better than the leveling content of many MMOs.

Its funny Rift had way more abilities yet I could play any melee spec effectively with 2-3 buttons. Hmmm now what is it that every MMO has but this one that would allow me to do that...Oh yea macros. Guess if it took them 5 months to make the UI customizable Im sure it means maybe by Fall or Winter we will have a macro system. Hell even Everquest had macros. Not at release I cant remember but I know they had them during Velious so 10 years ago. So explain why a MMO from a decade ago has something a current generation MMO that spent an ass of money during development doesnt have? Are their Devs so fail they cant figure out how to add Macros? But then again the original EQ dev team was pretty badass.

Quote Originally Posted by drbraininajar View Post
    (on my Juggernaut I hardly ever use Ravage,
    Ravage is one of your hardest hitting moves, it should be kept on CD.

It isn't just Force users that have a lot of keybinds

I play a commando (Gunnary) and I use 1-6 for my main skills, Shift 1-5 for AoE / various other abilities that aren't used as often, then I have all my buttons on my Razer Naga mapped, so that equals about 22 keybinds give or take, and there are still a few skills I don't map just because only rarely use them.

I prefer this play style as it makes it a bit more dynamic.