Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How much will items go for?

So I have been wondering about the real money AH in D3 and how much potential money could be made from it. I haven't seen anything on it as of yet and I'm guessing that no one really knows for sure at this point. But what do you guys think? Will it will be a small amount of money or will it be something you could make a decent amount of cash with if you spend the time and effort? I'm interested to hear what other people think about this.

Most of it will depend on how early into the game it is and how rare the item is...
    Since items aren't soulbound they have the potential to trade them forever...

I'm under the impression that there probably won't be large sums traded on the RMAH but more like the micro-transactions that we are used to in other games, so $20 maybe at the high end and most being between 50c and $5.

This is complete speculation however and the market will determine prices like it always does.

It depends how much of it Blizzard decides to regulate. Whether they choose to keep the prices "reasonable" or kinda let them determine themselves will decide it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe that Blizzard would regulate them at all, other than attempting to eliminate bots/gold farmers.

I think that the prices will initially have high variance as people don't know how much things are worth, but I'd expect that prices will quickly drop very low, much lower than those who are hoping to make money off of this would like to believe. There will probably be a few super-rare things that go for lots of money (relatively; I still don't expect huge amounts), but in general I'd expect things to be pretty inexpensive.

Being the bnet balance capped at 250$, i don't expect them to raise that much - if you plan to sell things, you'll put them on the AH pretty slowly to avoid capping the balance and actually have the opportunity to spend that money.

Maybe rarest items will go for a lot, but i expect a "balancing" toward smaller numbers.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Back in Diablo 2, third party sites sold (and bought as well) the more expensive items for $500-1000. Obviously the demand was much higher than the supply since it wasn't exactly allowed.

My guess is the best and most rare level 60 items might go for a couple hundred. It depends on luck a lot as well; if you put your item up when nobody else has that item up, and if there are a few different people bidding on your item, then I'd think it's price will soar.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Being the bnet balance capped at 250$

If I've understood everything correctly, the battle.net balance cap is irrelevant if you cash out to PayPal. You can either cash out to PayPal or charge your battle.net balance, when you sell an item.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-04-18 at 06:38 AM.

Deleted
    It will highly depends on how the endgame content is large/renewed often enough/ and fun to play and if the pvp is fun and balanced. If players have a big incentive to optimize their character because it will yield an advantage in the activities they are performing anyway the price will be high. If that's just to optimize the characeters just for optimization and there is not much to do in game beside bragging, only a few players will be willing to invest money in it and the price will be much lower.

In diablo 2 items remained quit rare because peoples who stopped usually left with their fully/half geared character decaying on their account (at least I did ). For Diablo 3 I expect that each time someone will stop playing he will sell out everything and try to cash out as much as he can. Way fewer item will disapear that way.

With a max of 250 dollars on a battle.net account, not more than that. I'm sure that those numbers will change, however, as the game is released and blizzard realizes how much money they can make.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am thinking chump-change. There is only a potential for huge sales when you are selling to an idiot. Otherwise I would expect to see more of people trading like in D2 and D1.

Perhaps the WoWBabies will use the RMAH and try to make it big, selling all their items for max-bid amount as they adjust to the fact that Gold =/= dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

I'm guessing whether or not Blizzard interferes, after the market settles it'll average out to the early D2JSP prices: 5-10 bucks for decent uniques or common sets, 20-25 for easy-to-MF but otherwise top tier items, and 50+ reserved for extremely rare, perfect stat stuff.

I wouldn't buy anything with real money until hell at least. After that i'd spend 2 to 4 dollars in really good upgrades, specially weapons and rings. Endgame, i'd spend up to 15 dollars in an amazing endgame item. I'll be using gold auction house mostly, rmah just now and them.
    The price depends on demand and offer. And demand depends in part on what people are willing to pay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    With a max of 250 dollars on a battle.net account, not more than that. I'm sure that those numbers will change, however, as the game is released and blizzard realizes how much money they can make.
    The $250 limit only applies to your battle.net balance. You can cash out infinite amounts of money to your PayPal account. The battle.net balance has absolutely nothing to do with cashing out to PayPal. You do either or.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    I am thinking chump-change. There is only a potential for huge sales when you are selling to an idiot. Otherwise I would expect to see more of people trading like in D2 and D1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post
    I'm guessing whether or not Blizzard interferes, after the market settles it'll average out to the early D2JSP prices: 5-10 bucks for decent uniques or common sets, 20-25 for easy-to-MF but otherwise top tier items, and 50+ reserved for extremely rare, perfect stat stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    I wouldn't buy anything with real money until hell at least. After that i'd spend 2 to 4 dollars in really good upgrades, specially weapons and rings. Endgame, i'd spend up to 15 dollars in an amazing endgame item. I'll be using gold auction house mostly, rmah just now and them.
    The price depends on demand and offer. And demand depends in part on what people are willing to pay.
    The best items, when bought from third party sites back in Diablo 2, even before LoD, were priced up to $500-1000. Third party sites even bought items from you, so they could sell them for a profit. A friend of mine found a Windforce back when it was the absolute best bow for zons, and sold it to a third party site for $500. That site later listed the item for $700 or so, and we watched it disappear during that week from the site, so someone definitely did pay $700 for it.

Not exactly "chump change".

You have to realize, while there's definitely going to be a huge supply of certain items, the rarest will still stay somewhat rare, and there are loads of people out there with the money and will to buy virtual items for absolutely insane prices.

Knowing what I know about all the aspects of this question I would definitely personally guess the best items will have a price tag of at least three figures.

Also, it's an auction house. Just make the bid low enough for people to be interested, and the buyout high enough so that there's plenty of room for bidding, and you may be surprised at what you end up cashing out.

I'd guess 3-10 dollars for most items. Anything less than 3 bucks people probably won't want to bother will all the fees and such and will most likely use the GAH for those lower end things, then sell large lump sums of gold on RMAH.

Higher than 10 in the case of perfect stat endgame equips, I'd guess those items could go from anywhere between 25-250 depending how stupid/rich yor buyer is and the demand for the item.

You should expect the top weapons with perfect stats to go for a large amount of money...
    Other then that (as i've mentioned before) will depend on the rarity of the item, BiS class items with top stats will easily go for 20-50, after prices have settled down i'd see very rare items for anything from 100-250 rare bis items from 20-100.

Deleted
    Alot of it depends on PvP and how popular it becomes. Once the BiS for classes is figured out, i imagine the weapons will the most expensive piece of gear in the game, 30-50 bucks is not unrealistic.

What will happen is that people who have a job will calculate things in their own head "i am not goddamn paying 40 dollars for a goddamn virtual item, goddamnit!...hmm but if i was to farm this item, that has a 0,01% drop rate, it would take me XX amount of hours, thus if i just buy it now im actually saving money and my time doing it!

If i can get a pizza or two a month ill be more than happy.
    Last edited by chadwix; 2012-04-18 at 11:16 PM.

depends how popular the game is...

D2 was wildly successful...

real question is not farming, but flipping. I think most here are familiar with how much money can be made on the WoW AH just by reselling stuff... that will be the real trick. exploiting possible arbitrage between cash/gold ratios and the cash/gold AH markets. or just nabbing underpriced stuff... we shall see.

Depends totally on the items, wouldn't be surprised at items going for $500+. Normal items probably $1-5.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you look at the Blizzard store for WoW and take into account their price range, I think it's safe to estimate that only very rare items will go for more than 25 dollars. I'm much more interested in finding out how much regular items will go for. For example, if a few hours of farming would yield the price of a game or expansion or even month of WoW time, it would totally be worth it, but I'm guessing the average item will either sell for peanuts or nothing at all.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 10:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post
    Depends totally on the items, wouldn't be surprised at items going for $500+.
    I very highly doubt it. High end WoW accounts that were decked out sold for less when the game was more popular. I don't see anything selling for over 250 dollars no matter how rare it is.

No sane person would dump the price of a decent notebook for an item in a videogame that cost them a tenth as much. No sane person, at least.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-18 at 10:33 PM.