Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is the lobby like in D3

Hey, just had a quick question

Whats the lobby going to be like in D3...is it the same as D2 where people just sit in channels and spam/look for games or trade or do they have a different system in place. Also how does the AH work, is there an NPC that you can check in town that shows everything up on the auction house, or is it based off a website or is there something like a town like stormwind for example where everyone chills in bettween joining games that has NPC's to visit?

Thanks

Deleted
    The auction house is just a seperate screen access via clicking a button before you log any character into a game. You can switch to your hero, then either start game, enter AH etc. Then you will be able to sell things both from your shared stash, or the inventory of the hero you selected, but you're still completely outside the game world.

When items sell, in the AH interface you click "send to stash", and you send your gold to stash.

I'll go take some screenshots because I think I've explained it badly

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    The auction house is just a seperate screen access via clicking a button before you log any character into a game. You can switch to your hero, then either start game, enter AH etc. Then you will be able to sell things both from your shared stash, or the inventory of the hero you selected, but you're still completely outside the game world.

When items sell, in the AH interface you click "send to stash", and you send your gold to stash.

I'll go take some screenshots because I think I've explained it badly
    That would be great, thanks

Deleted
    You can click on them for a full size one

So once you've selected your character, you can see AH on the left hand menu. You can also see on the bottom right a bunch of icons, one of which is public chat. This screenshot shows the public chat window open (although I'm not in any channel, I've dropped down the list - those are the public chat channels).

This is the AH interface

This shows the "completed" tab, with "send to stash" to actually cash out your gold.

Thanks for the pictures.

So theres no lobby like in D2, you just use the chat box on your log in screen? Is there a list of game running that you can join like in the D2 lobby or do they randomly match you with players that are of similar level or on the same quest?

The chat in D3 is like having a conversation with the crypts keeper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk92555 View Post
    Thanks for the pictures.

So theres no lobby like in D2, you just use the chat box on your log in screen? Is there a list of game running that you can join like in the D2 lobby or do they randomly match you with players that are of similar level or on the same quest?
    That's right, there's no lobby, you have to select the chat and join a room.

There is a list of public games, and it'll show each quest available to you, and then how many players are in it and you can then join a game.

Also if you have any friends online, and they are in a game that's joinable, you'll get a "quick join" icon and you can just click and join your friends game if you're eligible or a friend manually invites you to a game then it just pops up with their name and you click the tick and away you go.

To be honest the social interface is a big downgrade from the D2 one.
    I really hope they'll patch a new one later on, since the d2 lobby was one of the things that made the game fun.

I really didnt like the public chat rooms in d2. We can still make private channels so not much has changed for me.

People need to realize this game isnt like wow, we dont sit in town and chat to random people all day. Aside from spammers i have no idea why people would even use a public channel unless they are trying to troll. The ah is now there so you wont have to make games "bring soj" or spam chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    That's right, there's no lobby, you have to select the chat and join a room.

There is a list of public games, and it'll show each quest available to you, and then how many players are in it and you can then join a game.

Also if you have any friends online, and they are in a game that's joinable, you'll get a "quick join" icon and you can just click and join your friends game if you're eligible or a friend manually invites you to a game then it just pops up with their name and you click the tick and away you go.
    I never see a list of games, just the quests available and "join game". It just seems to pick one by itself.

Where are you seeing this list of games with how many players etc..?

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    I really didnt like the public chat rooms in d2. We can still make private channels so not much has changed for me.

People need to realize this game isnt like wow, we dont sit in town and chat to random people all day. Aside from spammers i have no idea why people would even use a public channel unless they are trying to troll. The ah is now there so you wont have to make games "bring soj" or spam chat.
    It was fun to acttually see other people toons in the D2 lobby, you got a sense of how many other people were there playing the game with you which made it seem massive.

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk92555 View Post
    It was fun to acttually see other people toons in the D2 lobby, you got a sense of how many other people were there playing the game with you which made it seem massive.
    Agreed. Why change something that worked so well in D2 and Warcraft 3? (minus the spam bots of course)

compared to

Agree D2 lobby was pretty nice.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    D2 lobby was terrible. I like the sleekness of D3. There's no chat screen to bother with unless you pull it up. You log in, you pick a char, you get into a game. No spam bots to worry about, no morons to deal with. Just the game, and that's all there is. If you want to mindlessly chit-chat with people, then stick to something like WoW, or just chat with your friends. I really enjoy the fact that D3 is more game than chat room now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    I personally prefer the D3 interface as well for chat. I don't actually want to be in a public chat room / lobby or for people who aren't on my friends list to be looking me up or whispering me (spaaaaaam yay), but I wouldn't have minded the D2 style if you could tick an option to not be placed in the lobby on startup I suppose, since I'd then never use it.

It is a bit weird that you can't fullscreen the D3 chat room, in case you're the type of person who did want to just chat for a bit with people, having it then only take up 1/4 of your screen is a bit of wasted space and I think allowing people to resize/maximise the chat window and having a "general chat" room would be something that would improve the system.

Quote Originally Posted by zachie View Post
    To be honest the social interface is a big downgrade from the D2 one.
    I really hope they'll patch a new one later on, since the d2 lobby was one of the things that made the game fun.
    Watching the trade spam made the game fun? Eh?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprucelee View Post
    I never see a list of games, just the quests available and "join game". It just seems to pick one by itself.

Where are you seeing this list of games with how many players etc..?
    Sorry didn't see this before I made my last reply... it only shows a list of games if you've got multiple choices. Once you're a high enough level (not sure what that is exactly on beta) then it'll only put you on the last quest. If you try a public game with a lower level that hasn't completed the beta before, I had the choice of starting at any previous quest on my level 5 when I did it and it would tell me how many people on each quest. On my level 8 that had completed the beta .. I had only the SK quest.

I assume therefore it has some sort of system that limits you by level or what you've completed as to what you can join... as there's so little available in the beta, the majority of people are just going to get the SK end quest I think.

d2 lobbies private baal run channels private pvp tournaments on private channels. Yeah we need channel and lobby system back. It makes easier when you want to form a rush group. Gief back the old system

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 08:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Exhorder View Post
    Agreed. Why change something that worked so well in D2 and Warcraft 3? (minus the spam bots of course)

BTW that trolls on channels will not expire at all anytime /nightshifter
    Highest rune was Gul aka number 25
    To be a king, first one should be a man!

suwâyyah Eu Darksorrow

Deleted
    I guess the biggest issue with the new "social" layout is the fact that people aren't able to show off their gear on their avatar like in D2. Not sure if titles are visible in the chat either but I'm sure the lack of the small "e-peen pedestal" at the bottom of the screen is why people are upset.

I mean after all, what's the #1 reason you go to chat anyway? To show everyone you're better than them, of course. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by pomterri View Post
    Highest rune was Gul aka number 25
    Might be this "NightShifter" read or understood the question wrong, and was replying to what the highest rune he had ever gotten was. Zod is the highest rune but you can't get those from the quest Hell's Forge; the highest rune there on hell difficulty would indeed be Gul.

I miss being able to both see my little character milling around underneath and the chat itself. It was fun to hang out there while waiting for a game that interested you to come up. Granted there were scammers, bots, trolls and 12 year olds but I also met some really cool people that way.