Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

HDMI audio not working

okay, small problem.

Finally connected my PC to the new TV via HDMI. (Distance 2-3m)
    Everything works great! I can play WoW on it and everything... but it has no sound.
    My current setup is as follows:

2x 22" screens plugged in via DVI to Nvidia 560Ti
    1x 47" screen plugged in via HDMI to motherboard

I have used this setup previously and even as my default while at uni. (sure it was a 22" screen but everything else was the same) I updated my drivers for the "Intel 3000 graphics" via Windows Update but no luck.

Summary:

Displays work fine. Sound on any device other than the TV works fine.
    All hardware other than the TV is the same as a previously working setup.

Deleted
    ive had the same problem with mine PC basically its because the graphic card of us doenst support it. if you replace that part it will work

10+ Year Old Account
    Come again?
    Not sure I follow you.

Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Sound - AMD HDMI Out *or something along those lines* - Right Click - Enable.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol :P yeah managed that much :P thanks!

Sorry I forgot 90% of the people posting on here are idiots and wouldn't have done that before posting here.

---------- Post added 2012-04-19 at 09:19 AM ----------

Last edited by Djinni; 2012-04-19 at 08:20 AM.

You have to set your DEFAULT playback device to be HDMI (instead of, in your case, Realtek HD Audio) or do it manually in every application (ex: WM Player, VLC Player, WoW, etc.) your output device to be HDMI of your graphics card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by svenmk View Post
    You have to set your DEFAULT playback device to be HDMI (instead of, in your case, Realtek HD Audio) or do it manually in every application (ex: WM Player, VLC Player, WoW, etc.) your output device to be HDMI of your graphics card.
    The reason its not the default is it doesn't work.

And changing it to default doesn't affect test sounds I think.

Deleted
    Does the gfx card support hdmi audio?

Also are you using Windows 8 as the ati drivers for it from a couple o months ago dont support hdmi audio yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am using Windows 7.

Again.. the HDMI is from the motherboard, NOT the graphics card.
    I have also used this exact same set-up before (about a month ago) with a different TV and even used the HDMI out as my main audio (apparently my Logitech speakers have too much bass and the guy next door couldn't sleep.)

Deleted
    ffs damn double posts...

If "realtek hdmi audio" isnt in the selection screen then the driver isnt installed for it.

The current version of the driver is only a few weeks old on the realtek site.

Also if u have only used Windows update then the drivers will be months or years out of date...

Apparently it worked for you with a different TV before so i suggest, removing audio drivers, unplug any speakers/headphones (leave hdmi cable on), reboot computer and reinstall drivers again. See if that works.

I'm not sure if your TV has something like this, but the HDMI audio on my Dell monitor wouldn't work until I changed the sound source, on my monitor, to HDMI. Does your TV have this sort of setting?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I'm not sure if your TV has something like this, but the HDMI audio on my Dell monitor wouldn't work until I changed the sound source, on my monitor, to HDMI. Does your TV have this sort of setting?
    Don't think so... only sound options it could be I can find are: SSM, BBE and AVL, not a clue what they are though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, just got the old TV plugged in which still works fine.
    Getting full audio on this one

(Incidentally the bit at the top is wrong... its only a 19"...)

The 37" is in the bedroom, the 19" is the one I used at uni as a 3rd screen / backup sound because the guy next door couldn't sleep when I used my Logitech Speakers (apparently they have too much bass) and the one I'm trying to use now is a 47"

(not that the size matters just wanted to clear up the issue)

If your HDMI video card does not support audio, you may need to connect additional audio cables between the PC and TV.

Deleted
    As i said earlier, The thing you need to select is "Realtek hdmi audio" If its not on the list the driver isnt there.

The reason the other screen works is it has a digital decoder built in so it can process the sound. The new tv doesnt so needs the audio processed thru the realtek driver and not a monitor driver.

Thats why the lg driver works for 1 tv and not the other.

Or google "realtek hdmi no audio" and look at the 100's of posts with the exact same issue and pictures of the "realtek hdmi audio" you need to select that fixes the issue.

Either that or program your own LG driver or dont use sound from the tv.
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2012-04-21 at 09:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    The reason the other screen works is it has a digital decoder built in so it can process the sound. The new tv doesnt so needs the audio processed thru the realtek driver and not a monitor driver.

Thats why the lg driver works for 1 tv and not the other.
    If you'd have said that earlier :P it would have made alot more sense :P

In any case I went to: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...3&downtypeid=3 and downloaded the 64bit win7 drivers and no luck. still doesnt work.

Testing the Realtek Digital Output doesn't produce any sound.
    Testing the Realtek Digital Output(Optical) doesn't produce any sound.
    Testing the LG TV Gives the following:
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-04-21 at 11:47 AM.

Deleted
    Hmmm. Do you get sound thru the tv if plugged into the gfx card thru hdmi without anything else plugged in? Like just the big tv plugged in.

Does it show any hdmi audio devices in the list?. There should be one for Nvidia hdmi audio and 1 for realtek hdmi audio.

If it shows none then you might have to disable the nvidia hdmi audio device in system properties.

Have you the latest nvidia drivers too?
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2012-04-21 at 12:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no way to test, since the graphics card has 1x Mini HDMI out, 2x DVI out and I don't have a Mini HDMI -> HDMI adapter.

Deleted
    damn, It does seem to be a config or driver issue if there is no hdmi audio devices listed..

In system properties - device manager, Under sound devices, Is there nvidia hdmi audio and realtek hdmi audio device listed?

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 02:03 PM ----------

l:

Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2012-04-21 at 01:04 PM.