Feral Kitty or Boomchicken...Could really use your help here guys !

So I've been levelling a druid. My main spec is resto and I am greatly enjoying the playstyle. Pretty much opposite of a Pally and Priest that I am use to. I am currently level 68 and simply chain ran dungeons from level 16. However, from my experience I've noticed that the WTLK dungeons don't give as much XP as the levels 15-58 and the TBC dungeons do.

I am looking for a good levelling spec as well as a potentially 2nd spec for my druid. I've tried Boomkin but have not felt in tuned with it. I have never been a fan of maintaining DOTs. Therefore I've never levelled a Warlock and benched my Priest. I've tried Feral but it was a long time back before I levelled a rogue to PVP with. I have some experience on my rogue with Combo Points and finishing moves.

Was wondering which spec is more fun to DPS with and which one is suite better for questing and as DPS in dungeons. I am not going to be changing my main spec from Resto. I don't think I would be interested in tanking as I don't enjoy that role.

Thank you the druid community.

Deleted
    I would recommend feral, as you can go cat "for questing/dungeon" and bear "for harder quest/tanking dungeons". Its a fairly easy spec to dps as since you're not dependant of mana. And incase you need healing you can just switch out of the form and heal/hot up yourself and keep on going. Boomkin I would recommend going @ 80+ atleast.
    But as I said, I would recommend feral. I've never really had any problems leveling as one. I guess combo points / finishing moves takes some practice to get into.
    Feral DPS spec

Edit: As for your secondary spec I would recommend to try out feral tank spec.
    Feral Tank spec
    Last edited by mmoc61fad24c7c; 2012-04-19 at 08:17 AM.

I second feral for questing. Very little downtime, and if things start to get a bit hairy, you just shift into bear.

Both specs do require managing dots/debuffs though to an extent, so it probably just comes down to whether you prefer to be a caster or melee for dungeons.

Deleted
    Go with Feral Bear tanking spec...queue as a tank=WIN.Also u have like 2-3 buttons to play with at this level and even on a higher level it's pretty easy.Ragarding playing seriously at 85lvl,with the current state of ferals,just go Moonkin,unless you're an experienced player who can catch up easily with different classes,cause feral is tricky and has many things to monitor as well as more dots to track than Moonkin.Moonkin has only 2 dots with like 20+sec duration each so it isn't like SP or Wlock.Of course whatever you chose to play search it a bit and read about it.The game has enough clueless noobs as it is

*ps If you're sticking on resto as MS ofc you should go Moonkin since they share gear as well as reforges.Meaning a good resto goes haste to 2005>mastery>spirit and Moonkin goes hit cap>haste>>mastery
    Last edited by mmoce73301f456; 2012-04-19 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pank View Post
    Go with Feral Bear tanking spec...queue as a tank=WIN.Also u have like 2-3 buttons to play with at this level and even on a higher level it's pretty easy.Ragarding playing seriously at 85lvl,with the current state of ferals,just go Moonkin,unless you're an experienced player who can catch up easily with different classes,cause feral is tricky and has many things to monitor as well as more dots to track than Moonkin.Moonkin has only 2 dots with like 20+sec duration each so it isn't like SP or Wlock.Of course whatever you chose to play search it a bit and read about it.The game has enough clueless noobs as it is

*ps If you're sticking on resto as MS ofc you should go Moonkin since they share gear as well as reforges.Meaning a good resto goes haste to 2005>mastery>spirit and Moonkin goes hit cap>haste>>mastery
    Resto: 2005Haste>917Haste>Mastery>Spirit=/=Crit ***

You don't like dots you say? Don't play feral, that's all it is. Honestly if your main is resto play boomkin, the gear is near identical and if you think boomkin dots are bad you have no place as a kitty. Bear is easy and fast queues, but if you're queuing heals there's no reason for another fast queue spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edanna View Post
    ..Was that supposed to be a correction of some kind?If you play resto with 917 haste all you have to do is go on your character page,select your char,press delete and confirm it.

For leveling, Feral is definitely best since the downtime is minimal, and you can chain kill mobs with ease. set up Rake and a 4-5 point rip, then move on while the previous mob dies. Boomkin is very mana intensive, and unless you have top end gear, you will be stopping to drink frequently.

..Was that supposed to be a correction of some kind?If you play resto with 917 haste all you have to do is go on your character page,select your char,press delete and confirm it.
    Well played sir, well played.

feral all the way :P

Deleted
    Mana is pretty much a non-issue as boomkin unless you camp in one eclipse for encounters like beth'tilac. And if you're not a fan of watching dots, then you're going to pretty much not be a huge fan of either specs, since their dots are very important to their dps at max level. With enough haste, a boomkin can pretty much ignore his dots and only put them up at the start of each eclipse, but that's only at fairly highend gear levels (Pretty much be in half DS heroic gear). Also, since your mainspec is resto, you are much better off going for boomkin since both specs share the same gear to a certain degree.
    As a cat, you pretty much have to keep rake up all the time and keep up rip as much as you can, properly making the choice which finishing move to use dependent on which buff/debuff is about to fall off or when neither of them are, using fero bite.

Assuming this guy is a freshly 85 your argument is invalid.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't like maintaining dots and are just looking for a second spec i'd say just go boomkin. Both specs revolve around dots anyway and to maximize as feral you're maintaining 2 dots on the enemy and a buff on yourself for as often as you can. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    If your leveling, feral wins by miles. You get cat swipe at lvl 36 or something. From that point on you'll always top dungeon dps, and if the tanks dies or something you can just insta-res (if you have it) him or go bear and keep on tanking. LoTP and instant-regrowts (HT is learned at 70+ something) + rejuvs makes sure you really never have any downtime while playing. Pluss stealth and bearform make for the fastest and easiest leveling experience in wow. Gets even better when you get flight form.

For end-game though, especially if you plan on staying a resto mainly, you might want to consider boomkin as the offspec since they share the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    So I've been levelling a druid. My main spec is resto and I am greatly enjoying the playstyle. Pretty much opposite of a Pally and Priest that I am use to. I am currently level 68 and simply chain ran dungeons from level 16. However, from my experience I've noticed that the WTLK dungeons don't give as much XP as the levels 15-58 and the TBC dungeons do.

I am looking for a good levelling spec as well as a potentially 2nd spec for my druid. I've tried Boomkin but have not felt in tuned with it. I have never been a fan of maintaining DOTs. Therefore I've never levelled a Warlock and benched my Priest. I've tried Feral but it was a long time back before I levelled a rogue to PVP with. I have some experience on my rogue with Combo Points and finishing moves.

Was wondering which spec is more fun to DPS with and which one is suite better for questing and as DPS in dungeons. I am not going to be changing my main spec from Resto. I don't think I would be interested in tanking as I don't enjoy that role.

Thank you the druid community.
    Definitely feral for leveling. It's got the highest sustained DPS and awesome survivability.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want 0 downtime go bear. You'll lose very little health, there isn't much in the way of dots and you can take several things at once (actually recommended). I've tried boomkin, cat and bear for questing and bear or cat are better IMO. Bear isn't as bad as you think but it's a little slower killing things (however like I said earlier 0 downtime and you can take on elites that you have no business with otherwise).

However if you main spec is resto, you can use your resto gear as a chicken so you wouldn't have to gather multiple sets of gear. It's not optimal for dps but if it's only for questing you should be doing enough dps to get by fine (maybe grab a couple trinkets to swap back and forth, plus a piece or 2 of non spirit gear).
    Last edited by dryankem; 2012-05-01 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer feral. But if you are already into resto it's an easier transition to playing balance, you even get some item crossover. Where as feral and resto you'll need a complete set of different gear to even be remotely effective.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edanna View Post
    All Edanna meant is that if your gear is insufficient to allow you to reach the 2005 Haste Rating threshold (which is extremely likely upon just dinging 85), you should stop at 917.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't allow 'what spec should I play' threads because it's completely subjective. What's fun for me may not be fun for you.

I would suggest looking through the spec stickies and some of the threads to see for yourself which spec is better and more suited to you personally since you are asking about playstyle and fun factor, not basic 'does spec A do better pve than spec B' or so on.