Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tukz View Post
    1- Slow approval process. Takes hours to approve an update and some of our approval was still on pending after 12-15 hours. Sometime we need to deploy an update quickly and its totally impossible. Imo, Curse should add a system for popular addons (random number example: over 100 000 downloads) and trusted developer to avoid this issue, by just scanning the file sended with automatic approval. This is the #1 reason why we decided to move back to our site and implement our own tools for dealing with everything.

2- Two weeks ago, I remember Elv complaining that he was unable to update his addon 10 days in a row due to various issue on Curseforge and if I remember correctly, often it was because CurseForge was innacessible.
    All I can really say is that I've never had any of the issues you describe with WowAce. Manual approval is one-time only, with all uploaded files only going through an automatic scan. The downside is that it does not allow committing of .exe (or other executable formats).

However, I can fully understand the other three reasons and am grateful that you took the time to elaborate. It's always nice to be able to see the entire picture.

I have never used the Curse downloader. I like having my own control over what gets updated and when, and not having to worry about some third-party executable possibly causing an issue or doing something to my system.

So now I just have to bookmark another website to check for ElvUI updates. Not a big deal. Besides, when the patch came out on Tuesday some Blizzard changes caused ElvUI to spew an error, and the new version of ElvUI was up for download on their site within an hour or two. Nice turnaround time!

Curse does provide premium accounts for addon developers, I have a addon there that made it more than 10k downlods and I was granted a lifetime premium account, its not like I use it but it was imo a nice gesture.

Iam not defending curse, actualy I prefer wowinterface as I find they website easy to navigate to search addons, the guys from tukui and w/e can do what they want, but it seems when stuff becomes too good and too big and then developers try to monetize they work(wich they are totaly free to) it goes downhill.

Since it is being maintained from it's original site that it has been available from since before I've started using it, I will continue to get it from there instead of using Curse.

Your contribution to the community is to use a addOn downloader, which is free, and which no one might even know you're using, instead of using another one, which also is free?

What community? WoW community? Curse community?

Deleted
    I can agree that Curse is the main addon page I go to download addons. But if I cant find it there, I go to wowinterface. And I really cant see your problem. Download it from their site?

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzbert View Post
    Tukz and Elv no longer even play WoW any more
    You sure about that?

Quote Originally Posted by xsublymonalx View Post
    I'll never pay for any addon. Period. You're a fool if you do.

Period.

It's simply too easy to find other UI's that can do the exact same thing every other UI does, and if not, you can make your own.
    Still no? Then use the outdated version. Outdated versions usually work for retarded amounts of patches.

I use Curse, and shall continue to do so.
    I also use Grid, because I'm not a dumbass hipster who thinks everything used by the masses is worthless.
    What does this have to do with anything the OP or anyone was discussing?

You don't have to pay for ElvUI now from their site the same way you didn't have to when it was on Curse.

Curse is simply convenient, largely because of the reliance users have on the client for the installation of addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Curse does provide premium accounts for addon developers, I have a addon there that made it more than 10k downlods and I was granted a lifetime premium account, its not like I use it but it was imo a nice gesture.
    It's not lifetime, we got the same thing as soon we uploaded our addon back in july but it was removed 1 hours after we deleted our addon from curse last week. I will also like to add that, this thing was useless for us. We don't use curse network. We was just visiting them for uploading our stuff. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    You sure about that?
    For me, I'm not playing since the launch of Cataclysm but I was continuing maintening the addons with a starter edition. I did not like what Blizzard have done with their game. Elv is still playing, but since 1 month he just log in to code his addons. For myself, I did a comeback 2 week ago by making a priest with recruit a friend, this time, on US servers instead of EU (where my main priest is) and after hitting 85, almost never played. I didn't log in since the last 7-10 days.
    Last edited by tukz; 2012-04-19 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    In the end I think tuk is losing a ton of users by abandoning the curse project.
    If I'm not mistaken, and forgive me I could be, but I'm pretty sure Tuk posted on their site about being the most downloaded UI out of all but quite a large margin even before they joined with Curse. So that's probably not even an issue. And, if I'm mistaken, don't be shy, say shut it Sanctioned get to your damned corner.

Quote Originally Posted by tukz View Post
    For me, I'm not playing since the launch of Cataclysm but I was continuing maintening the addons with a starter edition. I did not like what Blizzard have done with their game. Elv is still playing, but since 1 month he just log in to code his addons. For myself, I did a comeback 2 week ago by making a priest with recruit a friend, this time, on US servers instead of EU (where my main priest is) and after hitting 85, almost never played. I didn't log in since the last 7-10 days.
    I've been using your UI since mid 2010 and after a few months switched to Elvs, always found it an amazing UI. But you guys should get a medal for maintaining a massive project like this even though you don't use it yourself.

Deleted
    I never understood why people liked Curse, the site is pretty bad and their search is a joke (when i search for "tender" it shows one result and it's NOT bartender...but an addon pack called "JPWN1"???)
    I guess the client is nice if you use like 100 different addons or something, good thing is with elvui i never had to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Esedess View Post
    you seem very dedicated, much respect
    Pfht ya sure "dedicated" Tuk has a downloader just like curses that makes it that much easier to get it when there are updates. This is just worthless crying rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Esedess View Post
    you have a problem with tukui trying to earn some money?
    i see, i heard Curse is a non-profit organisation, that generously gives to the poor.
    blizzard would have a large problem with a pay to DL addon. it is strictly forbidden in the EULA. they can however accept donations, but cannot restrict anything if people choose to not donate. blizzard is the only one who can legally profit from the sale of anything that happens in WoW.

curse does not require money to download addons, they charge for an advancted form their own software that makes the updating of addons easier(you can still use the curse client for free but it has limitations). they also get money from ads and people who donate to various curse sites(like this one).

if anyone tries to directly get money from an addon, guide, or anything else that would directly affect WoW, blizzard can and has come down on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dahorst View Post
    I never understood why people liked Curse, the site is pretty bad and their search is a joke (when i search for "tender" it shows one result and it's NOT bartender...but an addon pack called "JPWN1"???)
    I guess the client is nice if you use like 100 different addons or something, good thing is with elvui i never had to.
    Agreed that their search system is pretty awful.

However, ElvUI is far from the only addon that somebody who plays all aspects of WoW would need. I could name about 15 more addons that people would situationally need (for the AH, PvP, specific PvE fights, collecting, quest completion, easy raid management, etc).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

TukUI is a community itself, not unlike the Curse community. I respect them both equally and really have no feelings one way or the other about them being split up. I've supported both for years (TukUI ~1.5 years I think).

You should realize that, not only is Curse a larger organization profiting from other peoples work (while also providing them a very popular place to host), TukUI is also it's own entity and community.

I find your post rather disrespectful but I hope maybe some replies here changed your mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    What do I do?

Well, I google ElvUI, go to tukui.org, and disable adblockplus on their site! More power to em, their product has enough people that care about it that they don't need Curse.

I've never used Curse (or any other) auto-updater, for the same reasons as everyone else in this thread, and I've preferred using WoWInterface.com for the last few years. Not hard to unzip stuff into my Addons folder.

Idc where I get ElvUI from. Its a great interface and it'd go to download it rather then an auto updater

15+ Year Old Account
    Too bad Curse Client is coded poorly, slow, clunky. It could have been made so much better.
    Homepage look like po0 as well but they both still does the job as do WoWinterface etc.
    Best of luck to ElvUI, it is their decision.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.