Deleted

Advice/help needed for exercise!

I've posted a few times on fitness, getting fitter ect and my knowledge has amassed somewhat on the subject but I can't always get what I need to know for my specific situation from a web guide, even a well-detailed one.

I'm a guy currently just under 13st, late teens, around 5ft 10"(BMI of 2...8, 6? I can't remember, I know I'm overweight but not obese) and not particularly strong apart from what I've gotten from my bass playing. My diet has changed and in couple months with diet alone I've gone from 13st 7lbs to between 12st 10lbs and 13st. Things like not eating large amounts after about 8PM, cutting out take-always and very sugary/fatty foods and drinks (Apart from the odd Pizza and beer every few weeks or so) but I need more exercise, something I can actually do.

I've gotten into doing some basic cardio like running and long-distance walking but I want to step it up a notch. Due to my current fitness level and lack of muscle I find it hard to do things like push-ups, I can do maybe one if I push it which is very, very embarrassing to admit but it's there, I'm not proud of the hole I've fallen into but hey, that's why I'm here to change it! I've got access to my sisters exercise bike but not much else due to lacking funds, and I don't live anywhere near decent/friendly gyms (The only one within walking distance is full of jerks, I tried going once but the entire time I was being laughed at by their other members... It wasn't a very nice experience and I later found out the gym has gained a reputation for breeding jerks, the rest I'd need to pay for travel to get to since they're so far away not to mention I don't have the cash for a membership) so I want to know if anyone could recommend exercises or routines I could do in the comfort of my own home without having to spend money? Not much to go on, I know. I've been using the bike for some heavier cardio, and usually in place of running due to the poor weather we've been having recently for about 30 minutes 3 times a week as well to replace the C25K stuff I used to do so that Isn't a problem, building ontop of that is.

Any input is appreciated as I really want to make changes and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks, Desp.

Also, I thought It was worth mentioning. With the cardio I'm doing, If I just wait and keep at it will the payoff allow me to do the impossible like push-ups? I wasn't sure if the weight loss through that would make things easier, I know my endurance has certainly been bumped up a bit so far.
    Last edited by mmoc56a2a40693; 2012-04-19 at 07:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    ...not particularly strong apart from what I've gotten from my bass playing...
    If the only strength exercise you've ever gotten is from playing an instrument, you my friend need a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    ...will the payoff allow me to do the impossible like push-ups?...
    You can't do a single pushup?!?

Man, sorry, I didn't mean to come off liek a dick. 1st things 1st... you need to drop the weight, so stick with the diet and continue cardio. As for strength, start with modified pushups (from your knees instead of toes) to cut down the weight you'll have to press. Otherwise get some light weights; 5lbs, 10lbs (what ever your country's equivolent is) and start doing some lunges and curls with them.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Ok, so keep up with the cardio, and start it off small.

And don't worry man, you're more than entitled to "come off like a dick" I need things to be brutally honest, for too long people have said "You're fine the way you are" to keep me happy and I'm sick of it so I thank you for being completely honest!

Anyway, The cardio is easy enough to keep at so I guess I'll just keep going with that and the "lesser" exercises. Thanks for the advice!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't personally like going to the gym either - even though my local one isn't that bad/full of jerks.

I'd strongly recommend investing in a work-out bench if you have the room/money for it at home. I find it much better exercising in my own space - and having it under the same roof means that you're not having to spend time going to/from a gym.

It's relatively cheap too - especially considering that when you start out you won't need a truck-load of heavy weights. Just some dumbbells & a bar!

Best of luck.
    Kanx - Protection Warrior (Armory)

Can you jump rope? It is one of the best cardio exercises you can do and it doesn't require very much space. Start out jumping for a minute or as long as you can, and everyday jump for a 20 seconds longer. Before you know it you will be able to jump rope for 10 minutes straight no problem.

I would also recommend start doing modified push-ups like Fahrenheit suggested. Always work on doing at least 1 more than you did the day before. Start out doing 3 sets of 10. Next day do 3 sets of 11 if you can muster the strength to do it. When you can do 3 sets of 20, start doing normal push ups. Start out again at 3 sets of 10 and work your way up. Make it a goal to be able to do 100 push-ups in a row.

I would also recommend starting some body weight squats. Having a strong body overall will increase the gains you see in all areas. Do 3 sets of 10, and work your way up adding reps. When you can do 3 sets of 20, start adding weight and do 3 sets of 10 again. Work your way up, and add more weight. Repeat.

You also really need to look at your diet. I know you said you don't eat anything large after 8PM, but basically you should never eat anything large. Ever. I would also recommend not ingesting anything other than water after 7PM, so eat dinner at 7PM. As a rule of thumb you should try to model your meals after this. 1 fist sized serving of vegetables, 1 fist sized serving of fruit (or a second serving of veggies), 1 palm sized serving of protein (fish, poultry, eggs, minimal red meat), 1 cup of dairy (milk, yogurt), and 1-2TBS of healthy fat. You can have some grains, but I would recommend 1 serving or less a day of whole grains. Also, make sure you never ever skip breakfast. If your body goes that long without eating, it goes into starvation mode and will store everything else you eat as body fat.

Good luck, if you have any other questions you feel I could answer let me know, I'll check back in.
    Last edited by Armatus; 2012-04-20 at 08:19 PM.

Look up bodyrock.tv almost all of their workouts are body weight-based, that means you use your own body weight for the exercise. Search for beginner or something like that, they have forums to discuss and the videos are motivational. pushups(modified) situps(crunches), burpees, jumping jacks, whatever. 12 weeks before people see a difference if you have a real workout schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayblood View Post
    Look up bodyrock.tv almost all of their workouts are body weight-based, that means you use your own body weight for the exercise. Search for beginner or something like that, they have forums to discuss and the videos are motivational. pushups(modified) situps(crunches), burpees, jumping jacks, whatever. 12 weeks before people see a difference if you have a real workout schedule.
    While I do personally use and enjoy bodyrock.tv, he is saying that he cannot do a single push-up. The workouts on bodyrock.tv are as intense as you want to make them, but I feel like he needs to focus on the absolute basics right now.