Thread: Vanilla pvp FTW

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Vanilla pvp FTW

Just thought i'd get some peoples opinion on something i just thought of.

Does anyone remember the Vanilla ranking system in pvp. Private -> Corporal-> .. etc.

Based around playing actual BGs and getting HK's. None of this rating Bulsh*t. I for one loved it, you didn't really need to be part of a team, you could just stop leveling at each *9 ( 19,29,39...) and chillax killing horde (or alliance) for a bit.

It seems to me that nowadays, everything is team based and slightly veering more towards the hardcore side of players/teams.

So basically in conclusion, I wouldn't mind something like this introduced again, obviously keeping the rating systems for the more team players amoungst us. Possibly the officers lounge again, you know, to make us feel special .

I haven't really looked into this at all, it was just a thought i had a minute ago when reading through someones account of old AV when it was actually PVP not PVE and HKs meant something. Because now HK's mean nothing apart from possibly another 10 achievement points for you grinders out there.

Thoughts please . Try not to hate though.

---------- Post added 2012-04-20 at 12:54 AM ----------

Oh i was a hunter in vanilla, incase other classes never really got to *chillax* in a battleground

Deleted
    i miss it fucking much . i lost my old acount wich i had a hunter level 49 who i only did bgs on :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it was a grind, yes it didn't require skill, but it was still tons of fun - overall BGing in Vanilla was a better experience than BGing currently is. Rated Arena is still not a bad thing, but large and long lasting battles are what BGs should be - and they certainly are anything but that nowadays.

There will be people who disagree, but as someone who started playing WoW when WSG was first released I stand by my opinion. There's a reason I have a Feenix 1.2 account but not an active WoW sub.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2012-04-20 at 12:01 AM.

The old PvP was fun, but required just as much time and dedication, if not more, than arena does to reach the high ranks. It was also pretty punishing if you didn't keep up every week on your HKs. We have a weekly conquest cap now that we need to keep up with, back then it took much more time and effort than just reaching a conquest cap.

Still, lots of fun was had in the old system. (expect dishonorable kills, I HATED dishonorable kills until they removed them.)

The game today is no longer about anything other than the latest content of end game. Anything prior to that is either only for novelty or for getting there. Wether this is good or bad there are probably oceans of opinions on, but that's a whole other discussion. But that's why doing low level "twinked" bgs can't reward you anything of significance.

Officers lounge to make you feel special, again a game change since vanilla. No one are allowed to feel special (at least not for very long at a time).

About individualism, they could let you queue for rated battlegrounds on your own, team you up people are a similar rating. Yes you wont play as well as a premade, but that's why ratings are there.

All in all, I'd say take off the rose-tinted, if this was reimplemented it would probably feel horrible and clunky, and would have to be change so much we wouldn't even recognize it. I miss vanilla too, but it was the freshness of the game, not the actual mechanics.

Deleted
    Might add an AV poll in, see if it gets enough interest for blizzard to actually take some of the PVE element out of it, make it more a HK based BG again. Same with isle of conquest, im sick of BGs ending in 5 mins because 60 people have rushed the end boss. It's obviously not how blizzard meant for it to work, however they've done pretty much nothing to rectify the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I have the Knight-lieutenant rank from back in Vanilla I like the ranks but no way do I want that method to come back High warlord grand marshall titles were completely based on if your guild was a large pvp guild that fed you HK's

What I miss most about vanilla pvp was day (or days) long AV's. I really miss being able to jump into them and do some of the objective-type deals like summoning the big npcs or clearing out the mines for resources...really felt more like a total war rather then just a 15 min honor/conquest badge attempt. The titles were neat and all, but I don't miss the crazy amount of farming that went along with them.

And dishonorable kills....man those were funny. Not something I want back, but just something to think back about and chuckle

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I have the Knight-lieutenant rank from back in Vanilla I like the ranks but no way do I want that method to come back High warlord grand marshall titles were completely based on if your guild was a large pvp guild that fed you HK's
    Not entirely. I pissed off the PvP guild on my server because I was beating them every week on HK by myself without guild support.

10+ Year Old Account
    YOU MUST BE CRAZY!!!
    I do not miss the ranking at all... all you would be able to do is pvp at higher ranks to maintain them, after you reach Knight tou had to run 7+ BG's just so u don't lose your rank if u wanted top ranking that was lie 5k HK's a week and there would always be the one idiot killing NPC's and getting dishonorable kills. I like it this way you need to depend on 1-4 ppl and thats all unlike bk then when u have to hope no one was stupid and doing things for the lulz
    This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.

There was this guy on my realm back in vanilla who farmed bgs himself all the time, he was grand marshal and all.
    He had by far the MOST honor kills ive ever seen that time, nobody had more in the entire EU. (according to my information)
    He had 160k+ honor kills IN VANILLA, he no longer plays tho...his chara has been inactive ever since, but i never heard of anyone having higher hks back then.
    Nowadays however....there are so many people with over 200k hk, even my ingame friend has 220k hks so far. And worlds highests have like a million or 3 million im not sure.

You didnt need a large PvP guild to 'feed you hks.' All you needed was a good rep and vent.

it was absolut unbalanced there but it is also today and in vanilla nobody raged about that

Blizzard has focused waaaay too much of this game towards end game. There needs to be emphasis on low levels. Low level dungeons having progression paths and gearing requirements. Battlegrounds and arenas being available for the toolset of lower level players. More quests that force people into open world PvP.

I know it's max level but I was REALLY hoping that the Theramore event for force Horde players into fighting Alliance players by having the event that's triggered involve Alliance PLAYERS defending Theramore and the Horde PLAYERS aiding in attacking it
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I don't really think low level dungeons should have requirements. There not hard and aren't challenge modes doing this actually lol. They are working to balance low level pvp. Basically bringing back spell ranks, reducing damage coefficients and having them scale as you level. I just don't want to have to quest for gear to get into a dungeon. it's not hard and i am usually first or second on damage. It sucks hitting 80 and needing gear to do 80-81 cata dungeons. My dislike for questing stops me from wanting to do quest been playing for 5+ only fun quest are the new zones. Done the old quest like 500+ times gets old. Dungeons aren't hard and raids can be very challenging but stop trying to put a gear requirement on something that is a joke seriously. Dungeon should be about your ability to play this game not because of your gear. I am all for making them harder but no gear requirements for the love of god. Its annoying to hit 85 and want to do dungeons with a friend but their itemlevel isn't high enough so you have to get gear from the auction house. That or do quest which just waste time even thou we have both done. The heroic version of both dungeons and as a damage dealer his itemlevel isn't as important as a healer or tank.

P.S hopefully spell ranks, reduce scaling, and baseline res with do wonders for low level pvp.

---------- Post added 2012-04-20 at 08:49 AM ----------

People raged about every expansion that i have played. Played in vanilla, but never checked the forums thank god. From reading the forums, you would think wow is the worst game ever. Vanila wasn't perfected by any means but go head with weekly bashing cata thread. One last question who deservers high warlord someone who can get a bunch of hk's with pocket healers or people that fight the best players in the world. Theirs nothing wrong with arena but there is something wrong with the way blizzard balances this game.
    Last edited by worsthitmanNa; 2012-04-20 at 08:58 AM.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Although imbalanced Vanilla PVP was the best WoW experiences I had. Global or be globaled style was something which everyone were OK with until arenas arrived.

I still twink characters when I level them on level 60 just to get hold of it again (it will never be the same, but a taste is more than enough).

Farming General rank (never went for HWL since General sounded more awesome and I had access to end PVE gear) and that thrill when I finally got it will never repeat.

I got Rank 10 back in Vanilla, and no, I don't miss it. The only ones who did great at that time were children with no jobs, college, girlfriend/boyfriend, children, friends, etc, like me about 7 years ago. Because you HAD to play all day in order to advance in the ladder, you could not affor to think "hey, let me stop a little bit and just go run a dungeon", or, "hey, let me go grind some ores or leather to make some money", no, you had to PvP.

Today I'm about to finish college, have a girlfriend, go out a lot with her and friends, have other hobbies (such as sailing), and don't have the time to invest in this old system. Am I the best player? No, but I'm neither the worst, I "deserve" gear, something that the old system would never revard.

So basically, the old system was horrible, the only ones who enjoyed/enjoy were the ones:
    1- ... in a good PvP guild avaiable to feed honor
    2- ... with no life outside WoW
    3- ... who were not around Vanilla, and think it's a good idea to have some sort of hard ranking system.

Deleted
    I haven't played in Vanilla but from what I've heard it was fun... it was so fun!!

Deleted
    Classic pvp promoted effort and time spent (Hardcore)

The arena pvp system promotes natural/obtained abilities.

Having been able to obtain my gear (T2) in the seasons I wanted it, as well as hitting rank 8 in classic - I know what system I'd prefer. A scaled down classic system, to fit the casual style we have today.

How can anyone enjoy the old system? I hated having to constantly play and grind. I prefer being able to log in whenever and my rating is still the same. Or spend 2-3 hours in one AV? That was not fun. You did not get enough reward out of it for the amount of time you put in. I prefer grinding to get my gear on a fresh character in the quickest way possible so I can spend time actually improving my skill and team rating, instead of just hopping around farming HKs with 0 reward.

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //