Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    Having always been the "Younger" player in guilds and groups of friends playing games, I've always been told I'm more mature than 90% of the adult population. I know it's not true for most, but in my 7 years of playing games online, I always found the adult population to be the more immature bunch.

The youngsters may have been annoying, but I never saw them/us as immature.
    Growing up in high school, I was always the "adult" one...

AND NOT IN A PERVERTED WAY! D:

To be fair, having a November b-day usually meant I was the oldest person in the class, so I certainly felt like the old one, but I mean how I was usually way more "serious" than the others.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I doubt it'd be both possible, or necessary. To split an MMO up into age groups would cause a lot of problems with the community, without a doubt. We'd see one believing themselves superior to the other (which already occurs with servers), and a whole lot of bashing.

Besides. I've met plenty of younger people who are both better at the game and more intelligent/mature in a conversation than the older gamers. I suppose it is easier to relate to people of your own age, but there's nothing wrong with diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

To be fair, having a November b-day usually meant I was the oldest person in the class, so I certainly felt like the old one, but I mean how I was usually way more "serious" than the others.
    Totally off topic but... I always though folks with B-days in the fall tended to be the youngest. Though I guess what year you start school depends on where you live. I was always the (one of the youngest) in my grade with an October birthday.

A completely non-important thing but it caught my eye :P

On topic...

I personally was more mature when I was younger playing games, I actually got worse as I grew up. I started playing WoW when I was 14 I think and most people always just assumed I was an adult. Nowadays my most recent characters name in WoW (Havent quit just not currently playing) is Hamboner... ugh.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PonyCannon View Post
    Totally off topic but... I always though folks with B-days in the fall tended to be the youngest. Though I guess what year you start school depends on where you live. I was always the (one of the youngest) in my grade with an October birthday.

A completely non-important thing but it caught my eye :P
    It had to do with the b-day cut-off date for when kids start school. Somehow the cut-off meant people born in November were the oldest kids. I was almost always 18 before other people. I think the cut-off is different from district to district, though.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Age >/< Maturity, get over it sir, I've seen kiddos behave 10 times better than "mature people", welcome to the internet sir, where everyone can be an astronaut and be a million years old.

Deleted
    I'd say I've come across as many imature kids as imatur adults. Wouldn't see much point in it myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    My thoughts on this idea: Nope.

I can never see it happening...

EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Who's making silly assumptions, thinking that 25+ means maturity and humility? I think some posters in this thread show us exactly why this thinking does not hold...
    On individual level? Sure, no guarantees. On large scale level of a server community? If you seriously are arguing that there is no correlation between age and maturity, then I have land on the moon to sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    On individual level? Sure, no guarantees. On large scale level of a server community? If you seriously are arguing that there is no correlation between age and maturity, then I have land on the moon to sell you.
    Maturity is a very wide concept. As proven by posts in this thread. I see it as highly immature to reason the way you do, for example. My co-workers find me immature because I play games.

I differ between how people act, I don't give a flying duck about their age as long as they do not come across as douchebags and sad to say, I've seen plenty of "adult" people behave like proper asshats in games and outside of them. FOR EXAMPLE when they want to exclude people below a certain age because "above that age u r mature and pro!".

I am 26 years old, I'd rather play with the 14 and 16-year olds that I had in my last guild than with someone trying to exclude people purely based upon their age, making moronic assumptions and putting themselves on high horses.

/pff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I have land on the moon to sell you.
    I'll give you a nickel for it, but I'll still buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the more mature players were drawn toward the age restricted servers then that would mean less mature players for the under 18 age group to play with, which is taking away from the serious players under 18. I doubt age restricted servers would be very successful compared to just making age restrictions on guilds or something.

Simple solution make a guild make it age restricted like I do, get them on ventrilo to talk if they sound like thier giggle berries havent dropped yet then ban them off vent and kick them out the guild. My Guild has always had a age restriction of 60+ If you werent in Vietnam catching shrapnel then your not welcome in my Guild.

I'd hate to be the server playing against the kiddie server... oh man.

I wouldn't like the dinstinction, since if you meet a Special Person you know it's a Special adult, no benefit of the doubt for them. Besides, as many people have said, age does not equal maturity. I know a lot of mature individuals who are not old enough to get a driver's permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Maturity is a very wide concept. As proven by posts in this thread. I see it as highly immature to reason the way you do, for example. My co-workers find me immature because I play games.

I differ between how people act, I don't give a flying duck about their age as long as they do not come across as douchebags and sad to say, I've seen plenty of "adult" people behave like proper asshats in games and outside of them. FOR EXAMPLE when they want to exclude people below a certain age because "above that age u r mature and pro!".

I am 26 years old, I'd rather play with the 14 and 16-year olds that I had in my last guild than with someone trying to exclude people purely based upon their age, making moronic assumptions and putting themselves on high horses.

/pff.
    I just want to say that your post made me feel old and remember that I used to reason just like you not too long ago.

But you'll get here too, eventually. The place where you'll notice that vast majority of teens don't really share your mindset, your wisdom, or even your interests any more no matter how "mature" they seem to you now. And even the few extreme exceptions that do share some of them, diverge wildly in all other areas. Unlike your peers.

It's not a bad thing per se. To quote Churchill, "if you weren't a communist in your youth, you have no heart. If you weren't a conservative in your old days, you have no brain". It's just that with age, tastes change. And this includes tastes in company you want to have.

Quote Originally Posted by KobraKai View Post
    Do you think it would be viable for GW2 to have age restricted servers? Say for instance 25yr and up.

Now I know people could easily just lie about their age when they sign up for a GW2 account but I'm not talking about the logistics of such a undertaking but more of the viability of it.

Would that be something you would be interested in or do you like things the way they are?

Also not sure if this is the right forum for this. If not, I apologize in advance.
    You do realize that is a form of age discrimination and it wouldn't ever happen. Whats next after that Pandora's box of bad ideas is opened? Male or female only servers, no ppl from a certain race or creed? I understand wanting to avoid immature ppl or other common issues ppl have with youth, but idiots come in all age groups.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by duguild View Post
    Age doesn't always equal maturity, i've played with some pretty horrendous older players.
    Amen to that.

OP the idea is nice, but in reality it just can't /wont happen. Besides it's easy to block/ignore/leave x chat channel/s when kids and adults become immature twats.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just silly...

Age restrictions aren't going to much in the way of reducing asshat-ery on any given server. Of my personal friends in wow two of them are under 25 and outstanding fun to be around and I always look forward to seeing them come online at the same time as myself. A few of the people on my friends list are well into their 30's (my age or older) and you can definitely tell they have been sitting in front of the computer for way too long and are just irritable pissants the moment something goes wrong in a dungeon/raid/etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    Age resistricted servers, while a great concept, are unviable because they'd be logistically impossible to enforce.