Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Do you realise that just because there's a red marker on your map you don't have to run towards it? The biggest problem with exploration is accidently going the right way, finding the door to the next level and having to back-track to the uncovered bits of the map. With the "quest is here" pointer I knew to stay away from that bit and had an absolute blast uncovering every corner; it felt exactly like D2 - poking corpses, ransacking shelves, exploding tree stumps and occasionally crapping myself as I came across a named enemy with a huge mob of cronies.

Deleted
    I've been playing the beta for some 4-5 hours straight. I did play D2 a lot and all I can say is that D3 is just as awesome. It builds upon D2, the atmosphere is there, the gore is there, the effects are there and on top of that I think the presentation of the game is also amazing. The Skeleton King is not a tough boss to handle, but the fight gives you some vague idea that there are waaaay more complex and awesome fights ahead. I think D3 will be just as awesome as D2, but with some major quality of life improvements.

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely love D3. If you don't follow the clues on the minimap, which you DON'T have to, you can explore dungeons freely and it feels like D2. Not only can I see D2 in D3 easily, D3 improves on everything. Town portals, uses for excess blue items, potions, hotkeys, it is all better. The only thing that could be a downside is not being allowed to allot your stats. Otherwise this is a great game, everyone just needs to stop playing it like it's WoW, if you complain it plays like WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Do you realise that just because there's a red marker on your map you don't have to run towards it? The biggest problem with exploration is accidently going the right way, finding the door to the next level and having to back-track to the uncovered bits of the map. With the "quest is here" pointer I knew to stay away from that bit and had an absolute blast uncovering every corner;
    did that same thing, just run around and hope you're not running the right way till you explored every corner.

I don't like to judge the game before play it well and the beta doesn't show much but, the only thing that bothers me is the difficult, I know that we gonna have inferno and etc, but I feel that the normal difficult is extremly easy, you must be a very bad player to die in the Beta...

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone needs to stop arguing that the Beta is anything but representative of the game. It is a glorified demo of D3. The entire purpose of a demonstration is to give the player a feel for what the rest of the game will be like. Claiming that the rest of the game will be fundamentally different somehow is unrealistic and counter-productive.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 04:09 PM ----------

it felt exactly like D2
    That is a problem in itself. Diablo 2 clones have been released regularly by other companies over the last decade.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-21 at 04:10 PM.

Your expectations are not realistic (to the OP). Of course you were impressed by Diablo1 and 2 because they were totally new. Same goes for Warcraft. The "new" factor from 0 to v.1 is much stronger than the "new" factor from v.1 to v.2. They can't reinvent the wheel with each version they put on the market. They will polish it, create a new graphic engine, add more functionality, add more content, etc etc...but basically it's the same thing. I think Diablo 3 is THE BEST game in the series, at every chapter: feeling, level design, graphics, U.I....etc). The game is hands down a masterpiece. Is it groundbreakingly new? Nope...but it raises the gaming experience to new heights.
    So to get back to my original point...I don't think you will ever get that "wow" feel again, at least not with the Diablo or WoW series. Maybe if they launch the anticipated Titans (or whatever its name will be), maybe then you will get some of that thrill back...but even then, I doubt it. Video games pretty much covered everything now...the only thing they can improve is graphics...and the social network factor (which I personally hate). So sooner rather than later, we will all be playing facebook type of games

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Everyone needs to stop arguing that the Beta is anything but representative of the game. It is a glorified demo of D3. The entire purpose of a demonstration is to give the player a feel for what the rest of the game will be like. Claiming that the rest of the game will be fundamentally different somehow is unrealistic and counter-productive.
    I'd say that wait for the nightmare / hell. What I've seen and read about it... Well it's gonna be fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatered View Post
    Your expectations are not realistic (to the OP).
    Actually, the game was exactly what I expected it to be. That's why I wasn't floored. I had fun, but I knew exactly what was around each corner. No sense of wonderment.

The "new" factor from 0 to v.1 is much stronger than the "new" factor from v.1 to v.2.
    I had considered that myself. That's why I compared it to Warcraft 3 in my impression.

I think Diablo 3 is THE BEST game in the series, at every chapter: feeling, level design, graphics, U.I....etc). The game is hands down a masterpiece. Is it groundbreakingly new? Nope...but it raises the gaming experience to new heights.
    It felt like a logical update. It was very successful at that. That's why I singled it out as a good game. It didn't raise the bar for me. I think calling it a masterpiece is a bridge too far. As others have said, it tries to be the previous game. That isn't bar-raising.

I don't think you will ever get that "wow" feel again, at least not with the Diablo or WoW series.
    This isn't accurate for me either. In recent years I was floored by Starcraft 2 and Wrath of the Lich King. It isn't a matter of my exuberance for games lying down for a dirt nap.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 04:38 PM ----------

Do you realise that just because there's a red marker on your map you don't have to run towards it?
    Do you choose which billboards to read when you drive by them? Conversely, I could stay in Tristram and role-play, but it would be self-defeating.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-21 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarity

Do you choose which billboards to read when you drive by them? Conversely, I could stay in Tristram and role-play, but it would be self-defeating.
    Well that is one stupid argument. So you're saying you can't explore, but when in fact when you can, you don't do it because it's self-defeating? How is that? Yes I can get the quest done faster if I go to the red marker, but I for one like to explore the surroundings. There's chests, books, mobs around to be found and that's the purpose of exploring, finding stuff.

Edit: And I think there's an option to turn of the markers, or if there isn't, maybe make a thread about it on the official forums?

You're completely ignoring the number 1 rule to playing any RPG: never go the right way first. Always go the wrong way. If you know the boss is through door number 2, go through door number 1 first, because behind door number 1 is probably a puzzle, five or six fights, and maybe an elixir and some leveling up to be had!

It's not Blizzard's fault you've got no sense of adventure.

I have the beta. For about 3-4 months if not longer.

Haven't played more than 1 hour.

From an old Diablo/Diablo2 fan I guess I am just disappointed in how I am not really enjoying the game. I did not mind the Wizard but the monk left me wanting. Most likely it comes from remembering D/D2 from many years ago. You know how there are things you remember fondly - provided you don't experience them again.... well maybe its that.

The new skill system bores me beyond belief. I also could not find that quick ability swap I remember from older versions. The graphics are effects are really good. My friend and I commented that my Wizard could have pulled off a good Ori starship with some of his effects, especially that globe.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keRmis View Post
    Well that is one stupid argument. So you're saying you can't explore, but when in fact when you can, you don't do it because it's self-defeating? How is that? Yes I can get the quest done faster if I go to the red marker, but I for one like to explore the surroundings. There's chests, books, mobs around to be found and that's the purpose of exploring, finding stuff.

Edit: And I think there's an option to turn of the markers, or if there isn't, maybe make a thread about it on the official forums?
    Is it? I never said you couldn't explore. I said exploring wouldn't yield much. If there is a way to disable the marker, I'm not aware of it. Half of the Beta is shaped like a straight path anyway, so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 04:52 PM ----------

The people making the exploration argument are pretending there is something to explore. There were a few alcoves along the beaten path to the end of the Beta, but it didn't make it any less linear.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-21 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    You're completely ignoring the number 1 rule to playing any RPG: never go the right way first. Always go the wrong way. If you know the boss is through door number 2, go through door number 1 first, because behind door number 1 is probably a puzzle, five or six fights, and maybe an elixir and some leveling up to be had!

It's not Blizzard's fault you've got no sense of adventure.
    It's like playing Baulder's Gate and sticking to the main story. RPGs are about the journey and to get that feeling you have to embrace it. The same is true about most RPGs. Skyrim is like that too. Skyrim is an awesome game (in my opinion) but if you stick to the main story you're in for a short and dissapointing game. For me, these sorts of games are about loot and I do anything possibly to ensure I get more of it! That door may not lead to part 2, but i'm sure it leads to more loot!

I like the quest markers. I explore because I want to get all the goodies out of every nook, I do not want to explore because I have no damn clue where a quest objective is. The various stumps/logs/bodies are a good example of this: how would you feel if you had to open every last one? Be pretty annoying eh? Thats what exploring maps in D2 was like.

As for it being basically the same as D2.. well.. yeah. That was basically what I wanted. Take a really good game, update it for modern technology, spice it up with new spells and streamline the junk. The things they changed were things that were bad in D2, but they kept all the good stuff. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, etc etc.

Is it? I never said you couldn't explore. I said exploring wouldn't yield much. If there is a way to disable the marker, I'm not aware of it.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 04:52 PM ----------

The people making the exploration argument are pretending there is something to explore. There were a few alcoves along the beaten path to the end of the Beta, but it didn't make it any less linear.
    Actually, I think it's quite the opposite (considering luck of course). I explored one of those bat caves (where there was some elite bats and whatnot) and the last bat dropped me a rare belt and the whole cave gave me quite a bit of exp. I kinda liked it, it wasn't linked to the quest at all and I got something out of it, gave a me a good feeling about the act 1 -> of the game. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    To get a real feeling, we'd have to have some one in here who was 30 when the first diablo came out and tell us what he/she thinks. I think they'd have a better idea.
    *waves*

I was 34 when Diablo I came out. I loved it, of course, and Diablo II. I played all character classes through all the acts at least once (but not at all difficulty levels!).

I re-played the first act of Diablo II just a couple of weeks ago. Now I've had a chance to play through the beta of Diablo III.

My thoughts? It's totally brilliant.

Having just played Diablo II again I can make a direct comparison. Diablo III is loads better than Diablo II, without a doubt - at least, in *my* humbly opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keRmis View Post
    Actually, I think it's quite the opposite (considering luck of course). I explored one of those bat caves (where there was some elite bats and whatnot) and the last bat dropped me a rare belt and the whole cave gave me quite a bit of exp. I kinda liked it, it wasn't linked to the quest at all and I got something out of it, gave a me a good feeling about the act 1 -> of the game. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Have you played the previous two games?

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally i think the beta is really, really good.

The only thing that bothered me a little was the difficulty, but that was simply unavoidable. The game industry has changed a lot since D2 was released, pretty much all games became a lot easier, and blizzard just followed along. We will get harder difficulties, and a lot want to replay the game on those harder difficulties, so all it essentially does is add replay value, which is a good thing. The first time playing through the game ill sit back, relax and enjoy the story. Then in my next playthrough when i know all abilities and such ill go hc with it.