Burzum
    Gorgoroth
    Slayer
    Samael
    Marilyn Manson
    Vader
    Korpiklaani

Deleted
    Mar de Grises: A chilean death/doom group, their last work Streams Inwards is probably my favorite metal album of all time.
    Windir
    Esoteric
    Primordial
    Dark Tranquility: Of all things, I discovered this group through a manga music video...
    Swallow the Sun
    SOAD
    Dimmu Borgir: Now I dont like them as much as the others on this list, but they rekindled my interest in metal and music in general a few years ago, so they deserve an spot here.

I can't really think of another 3 I'd call my favorites.

Let's see now...

1 Limbonic Art (Symphonic Black Metal - Norway)
    2 Raventhrone (Folk/Black Metal - Austria/Canada)
    3 Haggard (Symphonic Metal - Germany)
    4 Sirius (Symphonic Black Metal - Portugal)
    5 The Sins of thy Beloved (Gothic Metal - Norway)
    6 Obsidian Gate (Symphonic Black Metal - Germany)
    7 Summoning (Atmospheric/Melodic Black Metal - Austria)
    8 Skyfire (Melodic Death Metal - Sweden)
    9 Equilibrium (Folk Metal - Germany)
    10 Stormlord (Melodic/Symphonic Black Metal - Italy)

First 7 are easy, but it gets harder after that...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouro View Post
    Mar de Grises: A chilean death/doom group, their last work Streams Inwards is probably my favorite metal album of all time.
    Windir
    Esoteric
    +1

Mar De Grises is especially very good, probably could be on my own list for shure but today I am not in my <doooooooom> mode.

Deleted
    In Flames
    The Agonist
    Caliban
    Sabaton
    Ensiferum
    Kalmah
    Amon Amarth
    Dream Theater
    This is not a Game of Who the Fuck are You

In about that order. In Flames we trust \m/

Deleted
    Avenged Sevenfold
    System of a down
    Volbeat
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Rammstein
    In Flames
    Bullet for my valentine
    Sabaton
    Ensiferum

Bullet for my valentine
    its not metal lol

Deleted
    Here's mine, no particular order :

-Slayer
    -Sepultura
    -SOAD
    -Pantera
    -Machine Head
    -Lamb of God
    -Metallica
    -Motörhead
    -Austrian Death Machine
    -Snot/Iwrestledabearonce/Emmure/random songs from multiple bands...

btw, uldeath and nektar, you guys forgot V) they think it's cool to be "metal hipsters" As for me, I don't really like all these "subdivisions", I listen to metal, period, who cares if it's "old school pagan neo-thrashcore"..

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    its not metal lol
    Oh yes they are, BFMV is a Metalcore band, (with some noticable Thrash influence on their 2nd album actually) which is still technically metal. How come I don't see you mentioning something to the guy who had Nickelback in his list. (Although, Nickelback is about as heavy as Black Sabbath was... blasphemy? Maybe... but true... so I guess even they can slide)

I mean, you can even look at wikipedia if you want http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bfmv
    Listed as Metalcore/Heavy Metal/Thrash metal

To say BFMV is not metal, is to either be stupid, crazy, or trolling. Sure they aren't the most respected or "Legitimate" metal band in the world. But metal of some sort none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle
    1 Limbonic Art (Symphonic Black Metal - Norway)
    2 Raventhrone (Folk/Black Metal - Austria/Canada)
    3 Haggard (Symphonic Metal - Germany)
    4 Sirius (Symphonic Black Metal - Portugal)
    5 The Sins of thy Beloved (Gothic Metal - Norway)
    6 Obsidian Gate (Symphonic Black Metal - Germany)
    7 Summoning (Atmospheric/Melodic Black Metal - Austria)
    8 Skyfire (Melodic Death Metal - Sweden)
    9 Equilibrium (Folk Metal - Germany)
    10 Stormlord (Melodic/Symphonic Black Metal - Italy)
    Wellp, we have a winner. The 1st list I have never heard of anything off of
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-04-21 at 12:55 PM.

1. Dream Theater
    2. Tool
    3. Black Sabbath
    4. Mastodon
    5. Opeth
    6. Alter Bridge
    7. Rage Against The Machine
    8. Metallica
    9. Protest The Hero
    10. System of a Down

Something like that. I'm pretty certain about the top 4 or 5 but I'm not entirely sure about the rest. Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Periphery and Judas Priest may deserve a spot in the list as well.

Sabaton
    Five Finger Death Punch
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Amaranthe
    Kamelot
    Dragonforce
    Bullet For My Valentine
    Turisas
    In Flames
    Ensiferum

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    its not metal lol
    YOU ARE NOT METAL. Seems like a certain Radeghost has to read up on what metal actually is.

Interesting that you list System of a down as metal and then say Bullet for my valentine isn't metal. Don't get me wrong, I love System of a down but they just have such a wide variety of genres that it's kind of hard to just say that they are metal.

1. Trivium
    2. Slipknot
    3. Machine Head
    4. Iron Maiden
    5. Dream Theater
    6. In Flames (MeloDeath era)
    7. Disarmonia Mundi
    8. Soilwork
    9. Ensiferum
    10. Sonic Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by kliffharry View Post
    1. Trivium
    1st person to say Trivium besides me!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    Then take this as a chance to find out

That is, if you enjoy any of the bands' styles, of course. To be frank, these are among the best in each style, save except for pure folk metal, where you might find some other bands more folkish

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Then take this as a chance to find out

That is, if you enjoy any of the bands' styles, of course. To be frank, these are among the best in each style, save except for pure folk metal, where you might find some other bands more folkish
    Skyfire would be a maybe, I like Melodic Death Metal

The rest not so much, don't really quite like Black, Symphonic, or Folk metal

Edit : Looked up Skyfire on iTunes, yeah... pretty good! Very Dark Tranquility-ish. I heard a blast beat in a few songs thats a big plus!
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-04-21 at 01:13 PM.

1. Metallica
    2. Megadeth
    3. Anthrax
    4. Judas Priest
    5. Disturbed
    6. Iron Maiden
    7. Dio
    8. Black Sabbath
    9. Pantera
    10. Slayer

I hestitated to put Slayer on there, I have no respect for them, but Lombardo made me put them there. Rest should be self explanatory. Close call between Metallica and Megadeth.

Deleted
    @WaitingforMoP: I suggest you get to know more bands if that list completely unknown to you.

Here is a good list of classics albums you could checkout: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...l-Metal-Albums (btw, it's incomplete)
    Most bands listed are well known among the metal community, only a handful are really obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    10. Slayer

I hestitated to put Slayer on there, I have no respect for them, but Lombardo made me put them there. Rest should be self explanatory. Close call between Metallica and Megadeth.
    I assume due to their constant Christianity bashing? Same reason I don't respect them if so, they've made some pretty great music but I outright refuse to buy albums with pentagrams all over them like theirs.

Thats one thing I don't get and hate in the world of metal, bands who act like being evil is cool. If Chuck Schuldiner was a Jew and Dave Mustaine is a Christian, why can't they all look and them and say "Hey.... the most influential... best metal bands are headed by people who weren't/aren't sacrilegious d-bags... so we shouldn't do that either."?

@WaitingforMoP: I suggest you get to know more bands if that list completely unknown to you.

Here is a good list of classics albums you could checkout: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...l-Metal-Albums (btw, it's incomplete)
    Most bands listed are well known among the metal community, only a handful are really obscure.
    Nah, theres no real lack of knowledge here really. I mean... FFS the guy went with almost all... Norwegian black/symphonic/folk metal, all of which genres I don't like in the 1st place add to that they are from Scandinavia or something and have no advertising whatsoever and there you go. That was just a very specific very obscure list. Obscure metal subgenres, even more obscure bands (shrug)
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-04-21 at 01:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post

Hmm, now I R surprised, Summoning, Equilibrium and Skyfire should be relatively well known.

Summoning, especially.

Edit: I suggest you check out Summoning too. It is black metal by basis yes but aside from Lúgburz and Minas Morgul, their albums don't have a dark vibe, it is more of an epic soundtrack-kind of thing. Try Stronghold.

Edit2:
    I assume due to their constant Christianity bashing? Same reason I don't respect them if so, they've made some pretty great music but I outright refuse to buy albums with pentagrams all over them like theirs.

Thats one thing I don't get and hate in the world of metal, bands who act like being evil is cool. If Chuck Schuldiner was a Jew and Dave Mustaine is a Christian, why can't they all look and them and say "Hey.... the most influential... best metal bands are headed by people who weren't/aren't sacrilegious d-bags... so we shouldn't do that either."?
    Not to sound like a 'sacriligious d-bag' but it was not the 'evil' bands who generally are d-bags to people, in fact, intended-unintended Dave managed to have a few black metal bands kicked off rosters at gigs because he refused to share stage or w/e and the organisers saw it more fit to just kick them off. Interestingly, it is not 'evil' bands having this intolerant attitude.

Most of extreme metal started off as a reactionary thing, an expression of displeasure with society.

The evil thing in black metal bands is a cool thing to their atmosphere and that is all. Besides, LaVeyan Satanism which these bands sometimes stand for has absolutely nothing to do with anything 'evil'. I have met so many self-righteous christian hypocrites and whatnot that grabbing every opportunity to be iconoclastic while doing it with style and rationality does put a satisfied smile to my face. But since religion is off topic here Iguess we should stay clear of this discussion.
    Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2012-04-21 at 01:31 PM.