Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Arch, did you get what you wanted?

So i remember seeing the archaeology previews back when all the Cataclysm info was being posted here before the release and the only thing that really caught my eye was of course the Bug Mount. So when Cata went live and after I hit 85 I picked up Arch and set out to do it and OMG what a mind numbing grind that was but I stuck at it. Got to 525 pretty easily and spent a few weekends doing nothing but arch for a few hours a day with no real luck. When I was really bored I did Outland and Northrend to finish off the professor title but still no bug mount. So a week ago Im sitting in Org running circles like a clown and I decide to do Arch till I get 4 tolvir sites and by some stroke of luck the mount pops up. Like a year and a half after I started arch for it finally I see it in the solve window.

totals:
    32 dwarf
    12 draenei
    86 fossil
    255 night elf
    13 nerubian
    10 orc
    111 tolvir
    85 troll
    16 vrykul

Now I consider myself VERY lucky because I got the tolvir pet around 80 solves and the mount on 111. 26 rares total and the only thing I can say is THANKFULLY I can finally stop this uber boring profession (at least until MoP). Didnt see either of the staffs or either sword but at this point I dont even care anymore.

What about you guys, did you get what you wanted out of Arch?
    Was hit with a nerf bat!

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arch replaced fishing as the 'mind-numbingest' profession. Rewards arent worth the effort on more than 1 toon. The Account bound items dont scale, so pretty much worthless. Even the ilvl359 gear is trash, as really, except for the day you hit 85, who still has lesser gear. This plus the incoherent directional arrows, the endless series of junk worth 2g, and the long distances travel time make Arch a rather large disappointment.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 08:19 AM ----------

still working on the TolVir rares. Got the scarabs only so far. No swords, no shield, no staff. But I got a Skull Drinking Mug earlier this morning.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

I wanted mount and the title and all the pets.
    Got Professor title 27/12/2010
    tol'vir mount at ~280 solves.
    Got all items except the tol'vir sword and the dwarf staff I think.

All I wanted was the 2h from troll solves..... Farmed it for most of t11, never got it .
    Check out my youtube channel!!! Gaming videos GALORE!!! :http://www.youtube.com/user/Antigravitydawgz

I wanted the title, some achievements, vanity stuff and sword, got them all (Though i didn't get Zin'rokh until after i got the 2h-axe from HoT heroics :P ), only thing that eludes me so far is Tol'vir rares, or Tol'vir digsites overall really...

I like the vanity stuff from Archeology, it's a crummy deal for equipment (How many people nearly went insane digging for either one of the staves or One of the swords?), but it's a reasonable way to pass time when heroics got you down, the searching interface needs work though (Narrower cone on the surveying things maybe?), needing add-ons to use a profession efficiently is a design flaw IMO

Deleted
    Still searching for the Tol'vir mount here, but I got the professor title which is the main think I wanted

Personally i go for the pets. I got the ring and was happy with that but then i "lost" it and found it back 5 hours after i got my chars some other rings
    I honestly still want the doll trinket and the sword
    And i am still lackin some of the pets and the mounts

Doing it on 2 chars btw, both my lock and rogue and if things keep going like they are now i might even add my paladin to it

Deleted
    Never got any of the items i wanted only all the useless ones and a couple of pets, stopped even trying after i got the title out of it

That damn zin'rokh eludes me til this day.

Deleted
    Wanted the AQ mount, got it. fuck rest.

Got all the achieves, the Professor-title, the pets and the mounts. Yes I got the bugmount Got it on my 40th solve. Same day as my GM that got it on this 12th... >_>
    Still wanting the pet from Tol'vir though, but I can't bring myself to do it. Also I wanted Tyrandes Doll when cata came out since it was awesome, but it still eludes me.

Archaeology is/was a mess. Didn't provide anything worth the time required to get it.

I understand adding something to the game to help pass the time, but Blizz really messed up. The amount of time some folks have spent farming items is ridiculous, with essentially nothing to show for it. At least make the the rarest items scale, or offer a rare item to improve said item.

They could really make archaeology so much better. Rare profession recipes, BOA items, treasure chests with 1000 Valor/conquest points in them, etc. Give players a reason to continue to search for stuff.

It would be nice if Archaeology was updated per patch so that there is worthwhile rewards and it's not a useless profession after the first patch of the expansion. I was extremely lucky on my warrior with Zin'rokh, managed to get it after 17 solves but I hadn't really done many troll dig sites until my arch hit max level anyway.

All I ever wanted was the Tol'vir Mount, Fossil Mount ...

Got the Fossil Mount in like 20 Solves ..

288 Tol'vir Solves later, still no mount. I log on and usually do like one or two laps of Kalimdor and then just throw in the towel because it's just so boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    got all the mounts pets and achievements when i was trying for the tol'vir staff. (before the troll pets and 2nd fossil one) i really hated having to go back to get the those pets . Never got the staff i wanted.
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmollster11 View Post
    ... but Blizz really messed up. The amount of time some folks have spent farming items is ridiculous...
    You just explained why it was successful for Blizzard.

Nope.
    Jin'rohk destroyed my soul and any urge to do Archeology.

The mount was my 5th tol'vir solve. I pretty much quit after that. Sure there were some cool pets and items, mostly the nerubian shit and that were disembodied hand, but honestly I never use or go out of my way to collect pets and while items like the puzzle box are fun for a day or two they just sit in the bank after that with me.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

I definately got what I wanted It's a GREAT supplement to mining/herbalism for levelling alts quickly. My last two alts have under 200 quests done each!

I've been trying to get the bug mount since the start of Cata, then on and off since. Still no luck. My most recent solve was the fossil shield, and I completed Night Elves about 300 solves ago. Yet both still pop up constantly. If only you could pick a race to concentrate on. All it would do is reduce the stupid amount of travelling required.