Deleted

Question about a specific wine

Hello MMO.

Today when i were searching for something diffrent i found a wine behind my refrigerator, all covered in dust.
    Ive bought the appartment recently so its definitely not one ive bought.

Triede to google it and came up empty, so now im turning to the one place i know odd questions is anwsered.

Anyone knows what kind of wine this is and can find some info about it?

Deleted
    Is it corked? different shades at top of bottle...

Deleted
    Well, Mont Ventoux was very famous back in the days when the Tour de France was not yet seen as a contest of the pharmacy industry.
    For the wine itself, I'm not an expert but googling "Dom Balaquere" gave me a lot of hits all regarding that wine and that it's grown near Mont Ventoux. I guess you misread the "Fraktur" letters?

Was it standing up or lying down? Considering it's age that will impact it a lot.

Also, only certain grapes age well. Lots of them decline in quality after 4-5 years.

Deleted
    @Hurax
    Do you mind addin a link to whatever you found on the wine?
    Thanks! :-)

@Ewhenn
    It was tipping to the side, but with the top upwards..
    Dont know if that makes seence to you?
    Last edited by mmoc3bfa0ace80; 2012-04-21 at 04:33 PM.

http://www.vinsetchampagnes.fr/fr/ac...930000059.html

It's a 6€ bottle ^^

However, this one is older than any other bottle sold on the internet by Domaine Pierre Giroux... so I don't even know how it might taste... But the 2009 is supposed to be a very very good red wine
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-04-21 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Is it corked? different shades at top of bottle...
    Corked? Don't know what that means. Sorry :-)

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 04:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Found that page myself, but as the top says "DOM BALAQUÈRE 2009 ROUGE 75 CL"

The one i got says nothing aboute Rogue, and its a 1997 bottle not 2009..
    Also the one on the link got 2 labels in were mine only got 1. So i assumed its not the same bottle:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nenvai View Post
    [/COLOR]

It was tipping a bit to one side, but with the top upwards.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 04:31 PM ----------

Do you mind addin a link to the stuff you found about it?

It was tipping a bit to one side, but with the top upwards.

Thank you both for helping!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9doin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B4tes_du_Ventoux_AOC

Standing up is bad for the wine. The cork dries out over time, which lets air in, which makes the wine taste bad. Wine stored on its side keeps the cork "wet" so it stays "puffed up" and airtight. This is why when you see any wine storage device / wine cellar the bottles are always lying on their sides.

Corked? Don't know what that means. Sorry :-)

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 04:35 PM ----------

Found that page myself, but as the top says "DOM BALAQUÈRE 2009 ROUGE 75 CL"

The one i got says nothing aboute Rogue, and its a 1997 bottle not 2009..
    Also the one on the link got 2 labels in were mine only got 1. So i assumed its not the same bottle:-)
    Yep Edited my post to make it a little bit more clear that the bottle is actually not the same, just the same "brand", if you want to call it that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    Standing up is bad for the wine. The cork dries out over time, which lets air in, which makes the wine taste bad. Wine stored on its side keeps the cork "wet" so it stays "puffed up" and airtight. This is why when you see any wine storage device / wine cellar the bottles are always lying on their sides.
    Ah, That makes seence.
    But it was more standing up than lying down.. :-(

But thanks.

Better hope it's not a sweet wine if it was bottled in 97.

Deleted
    producer's website: http://www.vins-ventoux.fr/fr/nos-vi...Balaquere.html
    some english description: http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-14...e-rhone-france

And it should be corked (bottle sealed with cork) as a quality wine, especially back in that day, anything else but natural cork would have been seen as an aberration. But I can't guess how well it survived the years lying behind the refrigerator...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    producer's website: http://www.vins-ventoux.fr/fr/nos-vi...Balaquere.html
    some english description: http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-14...e-rhone-france

And it should be corked (bottle sealed with cork) as a quality wine, especially back in that day, anything else but natural cork would have been seen as an aberration. But I can't guess how well it survived the years lying behind the refrigerator...
    I know absolutly nothing aboute wine and rarly drink it aswell, i was just wondering if it was some fancy , experience wine.
    But all the links ive found and the ones you guys posted is wine of newer age.

Should i just take the wine to a dealer and ask him what kind it is ?

Not really worth it. It's a $8-10 bottle, plus it was stored improperly and is likely bad from air contamination.

Deleted
    I say you open it and smell it. Then taste it. Does it smell and taste like wine? Then it's still good. With one drop what's the worst it could happen?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I say you open it and smell it. Then taste it. Does it smell and taste like wine? Then it's still good. With one drop what's the worst it could happen?
    I don't know much about Wine, but open it and it Will lose its value (if it have any)

I don't know much about Wine, but open it and it Will lose its value (if it have any)
    Just because a wine is old doesn't mean that it's good / valuable. It was a cheap bottle to begin with ($8-10), so it's not like you stored a bottle of Chteau Margaux for 10+ years or something. A cheap bottle of wine stored standing up for over a decade has no value, that you can be sure of.

Deleted
    Well the question is, does he want to sell it or drink it? If he wants to drink it... open it, if he wants to sell it, I doubt something sold for 10$ a bottle, even 15 years old now, would be worth that much.

Deleted
    I know absolutly nothing aboute wine and rarly drink it aswell, i was just wondering if it was some fancy , experience wine.
    But all the links ive found and the ones you guys posted is wine of newer age.

Not really worth it, it would cost more in fuel driving to the dealer than the wine itself is worth.