Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post
    Sounds like you just have a thing against bright colors...

*shrug* That's fine, but it hardly means it's inferior. In fact, I'd posit that Torchlight is still the superior title given that it was developed, from inception to release, within 11 months. How long has Diablo3 been in development? A decade?

Okay, fine, there was that whole snafu about Blizzard North being shut down due to poor workmanship/quality (*cough* irony) and Blizzard having to restart development practically from scratch. Fine. That's still... 6 years. Give Runic 6 years... I'd love to see what they're able to do that Blizzard wasn't.
    Superior because it was done in 11 months? I couldn't care less, i played that game for 45 minutes and i found it's not even remotely on par with diablo franchise.

And i'm sure in those 6 years, Runic would make more than 3 expansions for the worlds biggest MMO, release something better than the worlds biggest RTS and develop something that is superior to D3, amirite?

Yeah, sort of the question of can you copy something you helped create Or is that just pushing your ideas forward...since the original Diablo team is split between the two companies that create these games.

---------- Post added 2012-04-22 at 02:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Superior because it was done in 11 months? I couldn't care less, i played that game for 45 minutes and i found it's not even remotely on par with diablo franchise.

And i'm sure in those 6 years, Runic would make more than 3 expansions for the worlds biggest MMO, release something better than the worlds biggest RTS and develop something that is superior to D3, amirite?
    Yeah, because its all one team that does that for Blizzard And runic probably has that amount of capital to generate. I get your point but your logic is flawed. Runic is an infant company compared to Actiblizzard. Also SCII took what 11 years to create? Basically the only real truth in there is that they did the expansions for WoW in that time frame. Not that I'm a real torchlight fan, it was okay. Then again Diablo is fun but not something I spend more than a play through or two with.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2012-04-22 at 02:38 AM.

Yeah, it's bizarre to brag about a huge organizations output compared to that of a 14 person company.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Yeah, because its all one team that does that for Blizzard And runic probably has that amount of capital to generate. I get your point but your logic is flawed. Runic is an infant company compared to Actiblizzard. Also SCII took what 11 years to create? Basically the only real truth in there is that they did the expansions for WoW in that time frame. Not that I'm a real torchlight fan, it was okay. Then again Diablo is fun but not something I spend more than a play through or two with.
    That's exactly the point, we don't exactly know how big the D3 team is, hell, it might be smaller than Runic Games one.

That's exactly the point, we don't exactly know how big the D3 team is, hell, it might be smaller than Runic Games one.
    I'm willing to vote that with the funds Blizzard has and the Panels from Blizzcon, its probably more than 14 people. Blizzard has an individual team for each project with minimal overlap. Each team has mulitple teams within in that handles individual aspects of each game most teams I think are composed of 3 to 5 people if I remember right from videos and panels. Blizzard is a fairly large company especially in the development teams for each game. This is speculation but based on observance, blogs, and info from following blizzard closely since Warcraft II and Shlonglor's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    I'm willing to vote that with the funds Blizzard has and the Panels from Blizzcon, its probably more than 14 people. Blizzard has an individual team for each project with minimal overlap. Each team has mulitple teams within in that handles individual aspects of each game most teams I think are composed of 3 to 5 people if I remember right from videos and panels. Blizzard is a fairly large company especially in the development teams for each game. This is speculation but based on observance, blogs, and info from following blizzard closely since Warcraft II and Shlonglor's website.
    Indeed, i do believe d3 team is considerably bigger, that was merely for the sake of argument.

Not sure why d3 was in development for so long seeing games such as assassins creed and mass effect come out quite frequently yet being of good quality.

Indeed, i do believe d3 team is considerably bigger, that was merely for the sake of argument.

Not sure why d3 was in development for so long seeing games such as assassins creed and mass effect come out quite frequently yet being of good quality.
    Bioware are "lucky" in that all they do is strip down their games in the sequels, so that cuts down on a lot of work.

While Torchlight is a Diablo clone i believe they're for different audiences, Diablo is good for a die hard dungeon crawler fan with the different difficulty settings and vastly superior amount of levels etc while Torchlight is probably aimed at a younger audience than Diablo and good for some fun now n then.

---------- Post added 2012-04-22 at 04:28 AM ----------

These newer games are being run on the same engine, or just a slightly altered engine than the previous while it looks like Diablo 3 has a vastly altered engine, if not a total different one altogether which takes time and resources to build/edit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    These newer games are being run on the same engine, or just a slightly altered engine than the previous while it looks like Diablo 3 has a vastly altered engine, if not a total different one altogether which takes time and resources to build/edit.
    It indeed takes time, but not as much time as it took them.
    Most likely they've had some legal/budget issues we've got no idea about, so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalesh View Post
    Wow, you can clearly see some people stroking themselves while they think about Blizzard/Diablo 3.

Torchlight is obviously better than Diablo and Diablo 2 but inferior to D3. We'll have to wait and see what Torchlight 2 is like, but given it's already been delayed by about 5 months I have faith that they're giving it a decent amount of polish.
    Tbh, I'm not really that big of a fan of the Diablo series. I didn't play D1, and I only messed around with D2 for a little bit with friends. I'm only going to be playing D3 with friends because I got it for free due to the annual pass. I can't pass up free quality gaming.

My whole point is that Torchlight was not developed to be of equal quality when compared to D3. Not even Torchlight 2. It's really a game meant for a younger generation of people with completely different tastes in dungeon crawlers and game design. Like I said before, my kid loves Torchlight, so that's what he plays (along with Bastion). It's not a matter of Torchlight being a bad game or Diablo being teh 1337. It's about the differences that set the two games vastly apart, no matter what individual strengths each one has.

That said, Torchlight is definitely the clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyjimbob View Post
    Pretty sure torchlight came out like early 2009, and D2 came out 2000, so it's safe to say torchlight was influenced by D2, and D3 is just the next step in the Diablo series. Nothing more.

Actually, diablo 1 was released about 15 years ago, not 12.
    Im surprised the OP didn't bother to check wikipedia or whatnot... the answer is really easy to find after all.

Torlchlight is the obvious clone, since it consists of a number of the people who worked on the original diablo.
    That said, im sure D3 has taken some things from TL meanwhile, and vice versa.

Games do it all the time - good ideas get copied, reused, and the games improve for the better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    Diablo was the first game in this genre.
    I am sure Diablo was inspired lot by Ultima VIII.

Deleted
    Torchlight sucks, Diablo doesn't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    As other people have said, Torchlight was created and produced by people who worked directly on Diablo 2. The saving grace is that Torchlight is a much simpler game in many ways, and generally appealing to a younger audience. Diablo 3 is by far a superior title to ANYONE who values the quality that Blizzard is known for. I have Torchlight installed on my PC, and I have yet to play it past the first level. My 7 yr old loves the shit out of it though.

And no, Diablo 3 is not inspired by Torchlight.
    So, your 7 yr old loves it and that means Torchlight is a children's game?

Newflash, the much beloved Starcraft 2 has equally bright colours and the units look like toys, bigger than the buildings that produce them. Oh let me guess, WoW's like that as well, I guess Blizzard make's "Children's Games" as well. A game being gray and dark doesn't make it mature or childish and vice versa for vibrant colours. It's an art style and if you can't appreciate it and feel the need to compare and whine and bash, well good luck to you.

Torchlight 1 was developed within less than a year, what the fuck did people expect.

---------- Post added 2012-04-22 at 09:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kalesh View Post
    Wow, you can clearly see some people stroking themselves while they think about Blizzard/Diablo 3.
    It's amusing.

Torchlight looks like a game I could play on my browser

You must be one of those "ZOMG DARK AND GRITTY, SO MANLY AND MATURE, COLORS FOR CHILDREN DUN DUN".

Anyway, if you want to get into the retarded comparison metric, Torchlight 2 is a better candidate. Torchlight 1 was essentially an indie game, and people here are comparing a million budget tile with years of development by a huge corporation, with a tiny quick game. I guess it make them feel better about their choices.
    Last edited by mmoc3fe040ec5f; 2012-04-22 at 09:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    I am sure Diablo was inspired lot by Ultima VIII.
    Please, God, no! *plugs ears* LALALALALALA

That game, along with IX, should have never existed... lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Torchlight copied pretty much everything from Diablo, but it's hard to say if "copied" is an applicable term since Torchlight was made by a lot of the developers who made Diablo and Diablo 2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    Torchlight copied pretty much everything from Diablo, but it's hard to say if "copied" is an applicable term since Torchlight was made by a lot of the developers who made Diablo and Diablo 2.
    The funny part is, Diablo 3 is a clone as well, made by random wow/blizzard devs that adapted the universe and 'modernised' the game, the only difference to other Diablo clones is that D3 is actually set in the same universe. A clone of the true primarch that is Diablo 2. Lets face it, Diablo 2 and not 1 was the better and more defining game. So truly, they are all clones of Diablo 2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post
    Please, God, no! *plugs ears* LALALALALALA

That game, along with IX, should have never existed... lol
    Agreed, but point was Diablo didn't create it's own genre, but just made something better and there was lot of room to improve. (I dont mean that Ultima VIII started any new genre either)
    Last edited by mmoca7d06c4104; 2012-04-22 at 11:50 AM.

every single game that looks and plays like diablo is a clone of diablo. the game came out 1996. ;-)

So, your 7 yr old loves it and that means Torchlight is a children's game?
    No, it's a childish game, hence the reason why my 7 yr old loves it. Everything about the game is easily grasped by any typical child. Easy to understand the story, easy to grasp game play, brightly animated characters and graphics, complete with 'DBZ hair.' It's not just the art style, it's the lack of depth and adult themes in the game design.

Newflash, the much beloved Starcraft 2 has equally bright colours and the units look like toys, bigger than the buildings that produce them. Oh let me guess, WoW's like that as well, I guess Blizzard make's "Children's Games" as well. A game being gray and dark doesn't make it mature or childish and vice versa for vibrant colours. It's an art style and if you can't appreciate it and feel the need to compare and whine and bash, well good luck to you.
    Here, I'll just let this article inform you.

http://www.gamespot.com/torchlight/r...eview-6238401/