Thread: Ranked games

Deleted

Ranked games

Today I hit level 30 and decided to play a ranked game with a buddy. When we get into the lobby everything seems like usual but then it's this one guys time to pick, he takes vlad with revive and clairvoyance and says he's going AP. 5 minutes into the game he says that he's drunk and disconnects.

Is this really how ranked games are? If so I don't really see any point playing it since it's only going to be retards who are trying to ruin my elo.

It's called Elo Hell. And yes, in elo hell the games are like this sometimes.

But also, I'd recommend playing normals when you hit level 30 for a while. Don't be the guy jumping into ranked with no rune pages and only able to play 2 champions. In order to do well in ranked you don't just need to do well, you need to be able to carry an entire team. While not obviously always possible (intent feeder on your team? gg), it's what you have to do.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Until at least 1400 this is basically what you'll deal with 1 in 3 games. It SUCKS and the system needs to be changed somehow imo (no rating penalty for leaving at champ select perhaps).

Deleted
    What elo do you start out in? Oh, and I already have 2 rune full rune pages

10+ Year Old Account
    Your first 10 games are placement matches that have you mixed with a random group of people. After that you get assigned your ELO. Play to win, play to learn, and play often, the last one being the most important.

Deleted
    Are we really going with "Elo Hell" - That false elo range, where people believe they should be higher, but can't because of their team? I carried myself in "Elo hell", 14-1 win/loss ratio. I suggest you learn to do the same if you want an easy route out that elo range.

Quote Originally Posted by StylesClashv3 View Post
    Are we really going with "Elo Hell" - That false elo range, where people believe they should be higher, but can't because of their team? I carried myself in "Elo hell", 14-1 win/loss ratio. I suggest you learn to do the same if you want an easy route out that elo range.
    Its not actually elo hell perse. If you ever watch Theoddone, I saw him go 'Its not elo hell, it's solo queue'. He's a 2k rated player and still in his games he'll get lanes going 0-11, one person feeding so hard and single handedly losing you the game. It's just solo queue more than it is elo hell. However it is true that there is a certain range (otherwise known as elo hell) where this shit happens more often.
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    Or you've been just lucky. I've had a 10 games losing streak and right when I was about to give up, the favor changed, and I had my 12 games winning streak.

ELO hell that "prevents" someone from getting higher is a myth. ELO hell that is swarming with leavers, intentional feeders and all those unpleasant unsportsmanship behaviour is real. How to get out of it? Play, don't rage, play, get better, play, play, play.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering who it is, no, he didn't get lucky.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    It doesn't change the fact that one can get lucky or unlucky (like me with those streaks I mentioned), but the more games you play, the lower becomes the rng impact. That's just math.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

Quote Originally Posted by akts View Post
    It doesn't change the fact that one can get lucky or unlucky (like me with those streaks I mentioned), but the more games you play, the lower becomes the rng impact. That's just math.
    exactly

try playing 500 ranked games before saying u are stuck somewhere....
    even then .. could'nt it be, that the rating you achieve with 500 games is just how good you are , relatively compared to others? - in soloqueue conditions!

tl:dr there is no elo hell. either you're better than 80% of the player base ( which is at 900-1300 elo) or you belong to the majoriy where such things as drunken players happens more often.

casual players ( who are represented more often in this region tend to take things not as serious as players in higher elo ranges ) thats why you more often lose a "won" game or see people going 0/15

to get out of "elo hell" you need to be at least a 1500 or 1600 players

asuming that 1300 iss the end of elo hell
    the guys at 1400 just had luck
    and the guys at 1500 are starting to take things serious --- STARTING...
    Last edited by Jalatiphra; 2012-04-22 at 12:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, you can. However, if you're really that good, luck doesn't come into the equation at those early games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalatiphra View Post
    exactly

try playing 500 ranked games before saying u are stuck somewhere....
    even then .. could'nt it be, that the rating you achieve with 500 games is just how good you are , relatively compared to others? - in soloqueue conditions!

tl:dr there is no elo hell. either you're better than 80% of the player base ( which is at 900-1300 elo) or you belong to the majoriy where such things as drunken players happens more often.

casual players ( who are represented more often in this region tend to take things not as serious as players in higher elo ranges ) thats why you more often lose a "won" game or see people going 0/15

to get out of "elo hell" you need to be at least a 1500 or 1600 players

asuming that 1300 iss the end of elo hell
    the guys at 1400 just had luck
    and the guys at 1500 are starting to take things serious --- STARTING...
    And if each game takes, on average, lets say 40 mins. 500 games is a FUCKTON. That's 20,000 minutes, which is about 330 hours.

Don't see anything wrong with the time>skill aspect there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why exactly do you play this game? To wind up @ 1800? Or to have some fun whilst doing it?

Do you think the Gladiators in WoW got there by playing just 10 games? Maybe if they're Gladiator for the 3rd-5th season in a row they'll be done in 30 or so. But they still had to play the hundreds, if not thousands, of games to get where they are.

Deleted
    Or you've been just lucky. I've had a 10 games losing streak and right when I was about to give up, the favor changed, and I had my 12 games winning streak.

ELO hell that "prevents" someone from getting higher is a myth. ELO hell that is swarming with leavers, intentional feeders and all those unpleasant unsportsmanship behaviour is real. How to get out of it? Play, don't rage, play, get better, play, play, play.
    http://imgur.com/MYuZc

In those 15 games, I've had ragers, leavers, intentional feeders. 14 of those games I've played Top/jungle (only loss is when I had to support), so I've had an influence on the lanes/middle specifically. Here's how you get out of 1200-1600 (i've also lost about 50 elo to decay due to loss of internet)

1. Play champions that you are comfortable, that excel at roles. In this Elo range, wards are unheard of. If you're top, play something with heavy roam potential. Renekten/Lee Sin/Riven/Gangplank. If you're jungling, pick a champion with fast clear times, good counter jungling potential and ganking potential. Phoenix Udyr, Maokai (can counter jungle wraiths VERY easily), Shyvana is hit and miss.

2. If you're playing mid, synergize with your jungler and vice versa. Get your mid farmed and teams will surrender at 20 minutes. I played a game earlier where I went Warwick jungle, because I saw we had a Malzahar middle. Double suppress was getting a kill every time.

3. Early oracles if you're jungling in case they do have wards. Play smart. Once you blow a flash, set your tent up in that lane and harass it over and over again. Keep control of Dragon at all times (pink ward it yourself if needed). This is your job as jungle.

4. Hit every last hit. Gold wins games. Gold wins lanes. It's all well and good saying "my team sucked", but if you can't get over 100 CS at roughly 12-13 minutes then you're probably in the right elo range.

5. Don't just follow guides. Itemize for your lane first, then the game second. If you itemize against your lane, you will have the upper hand to then buy items to directly influence the game itself. For example, you're Galio top against say, Riven. There is 0 point stacking MR early because Riven will just continue to tear you a new one over and over.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://imgur.com/MYuZc

In those 15 games, I've had ragers, leavers, intentional feeders. 14 of those games I've played Top/jungle (only loss is when I had to support), so I've had an influence on the lanes/middle specifically. Here's how you get out of 1200-1600 (i've also lost about 50 elo to decay due to loss of internet)

1. Play champions that you are comfortable, that excel at roles. In this Elo range, wards are unheard of. If you're top, play something with heavy roam potential. Renekten/Lee Sin/Riven/Gangplank. If you're jungling, pick a champion with fast clear times, good counter jungling potential and ganking potential. Phoenix Udyr, Maokai (can counter jungle wraiths VERY easily), Shyvana is hit and miss.

2. If you're playing mid, synergize with your jungler and vice versa. Get your mid farmed and teams will surrender at 20 minutes. I played a game earlier where I went Warwick jungle, because I saw we had a Malzahar middle. Double suppress was getting a kill every time.

3. Early oracles if you're jungling in case they do have wards. Play smart. Once you blow a flash, set your tent up in that lane and harass it over and over again. Keep control of Dragon at all times (pink ward it yourself if needed). This is your job as jungle.

4. Hit every last hit. Gold wins games. Gold wins lanes. It's all well and good saying "my team sucked", but if you can't get over 100 CS at roughly 12-13 minutes then you're probably in the right elo range.

5. Don't just follow guides. Itemize for your lane first, then the game second. If you itemize against your lane, you will have the upper hand to then buy items to directly influence the game itself. For example, you're Galio top against say, Riven. There is 0 point stacking MR early because Riven will just continue to tear you a new one over and over.

This...x100
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.