Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[TV] Doomsday Preppers

So lets talk about this show, and any other doomsday prep related shows, and the concept in generall

Personally, I don't get it.

If civilization as we know it collapses, and then we're left with a world not even worth living in in the 1st place? Then why would you want to try so hard to survive to keep living a life not even worth living?

Yeah, store up lots of astronaut food, and cans of Chef Boyardee. Yeah... so they can continue living but... their life would be :

Wake up, (Its probably hot as hell or cold as ice cause no AC, real pleasant) and then cook some lousy canned food over a ghetto fire. Sit around.... do basically nothing all day cause theres no electricity.... till lunch when they eat yet another grueling can of crap.... sit around.... night falls, now its dark as hell and still nothing to do... eat some crap canned ravioli or something for dinner... sit around do basically nothing a few more hours, sleep. Repeat.

The more days this repeats, the canned food will become less and less bearable untill they can't stand the thought of eating it anymore, they will get stinkier and dirtier as having no running water will lead them to getting an occasional lousy spongebath at best.

Then like they're always saying, marauders might come to try to take their precious cambells chicken & stars gruel. So they would probably be stressed almost constantly at that idea too.

TLDR#1? : Why prep for an apocalypse if it would only prolong the agony?

Nextly , I will talk about the general stupidity some of these people have displayed.

I saw one woman on this show who was prepping for an avian flu epidemic. She even set up a quarantine room in her house, and owned hazmat suits... REALLY? LOL

Seen a few of them who were worried China would cause an economic collapse by demanding we pay up our debt to them all at once, its like they don't think. We are Chinas #1 buyer of their exports. If they screw us over us like that, they'd be screwing themselves. Not to mention we would probably go to war with them if they pulled that.

I've seen many of these people say they've sold some of their things, or some who said they have lost their cars or houses etc. They said they couldn't pay their bills cause they sank so much money into stockpiling non-perishable goods.

Another couple sold their motorcycle stating that they couldn't use it after "The shit hits the fan" and theres no electricity to pump gas into it anymore, and turned around and bought a gigantic metal shipping container to store their cans of ravioli and water bottles in....

Not to mention the hundreds/thousands of dollars these people are sinking into buying enough guns for a small army...

Ironically, I have seen some preppers who were even morbidly obese. Yeah... they care so much about trying to survive a hypothetical ridiculous situation yet don't care to try to be healthy in the present? That makes alot of sense right?

Right now I'm in fact watching an episode where a guy who appears to be over the age of 70 (And obese) is prepping, as if he has much life left to live in the 1st place. But nope, hes going out of his way to make sure he could hypothetically live his last few miserable years even in an apocalyptic ruined world.... That also doesn't make much sense.

I've seen one idiot couple buy $2500 worth of silver and bury it in their back yard, stating that they could use it for bartering when "Shit hits the fan". 1st of all, no regular person is gonna want worthless chunks of silver. It has no practical uses...

However some of the people on the show stockpile alcohol to barter with, which isn't a bad idea, its non perishable and people would need it to cope with the harsh times. Thats one of the few things I've ever seen on the show that made any sense.

One guy was feeding his kids worms & bugs, in the present. To prepare them. It DISGUSTS me when the people on this show drag their impressionable children into their sick,senseless worrying.

Another guy was forcing his 5 year old to practice putting on a gas mask and the poor kid was crying FFS.

TLDR#2? : Basically these people do/think some really dumb things.

On another note, I think the people on this show are of little or no faith of any sort. Either they are athiests and as such cling to life as hard as they can believing that when they die its just over, or they are part of a religion, yet do not truly have faith the size of a grain of sand...

Even then, I'd think even athiests wouldn't be too afraid of dying. After all. If we're just dead in the dirt thats still like heaven. Because when you're unconcious theres no worries no pain no anything. Thats still better than living in a post apocalyptic world. I can't really wrap my head around why these people want to live at any cost, no matter how bad it is.

It would be one thing if someone thought they'd have a few cases of water bottles and several non perishable food items in their house just in case of emergencies, but its another thing, an unhealthy obsession to be certain that something ridiculous will happen soon and devote all of their time & money to prepparing to prolong the agony that they feel is for sure going to happen.

I figure, supposing the "apocalypse" occurs... easiest best thing you could realistically do is to just die. Seriously.

However I overall find the show terribly entertaining, just to watch these idiots is highly amusing to me.

TLDR#3 : So anyway, what do the rest of you think about these "Preppers"? Do you share my notion that they are morons of little faith who are only going to prolong their apocalyptic agony? Or do you think what they're doing is completely justifiable, and that we are all screwed soon, and that it is a good idea to cling to life in a world thats no longer worth living in?
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-04-22 at 01:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do you go to store and buy food? Why do you go to work(assuming you have a job), why shower, why play video games, why be alive? Why not just end it now considering all the suffering you could face the next time you walk out your front door? You can disagree with how these people live their lives, but how dare you call them fools and idiots for not just rolling over and dying in the face of danger, when you yourself still walk around in this world that is currently fraught with dangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    Why do you go to store and buy food? Why do you go to work(assuming you have a job), why shower, why play video games, why be alive? Why not just end it now considering all the suffering you could face the next time you walk out your front door? You can disagree with how these people live their lives, but how dare you call them fools and idiots for not just rolling over and dying in the face of danger, when you yourself still walk around in this world that is currently fraught with dangers.
    Um, no. You misunderstand me here....

They talk about scenarios in which the human race and civilization as we know it collapses, and everything would be like the 1700s. Then it would be guaranteed to be nothing but misery and suffering.

Would YOU be ok with living in the not only the early 1700s but an anarchy version of the 1700s thats actually even worse? Having lived in our current society? Cmon.

Would YOU REALLY want to live if there was no electricity (Which in turn means) No AC/Heat, No TV, No Computer, No Internet, No Phones, No running water, No running gas pumps so no cars,no light, no stove, no microwave, no oven, no stores/restaurants open, ETC. Plus anarchy. REALLY?
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-04-22 at 02:30 PM.

It's obvious you seriously underestimate the human will to keep on living, survive no matter what.

That said, preparing for horror scenarios that are never going to happen is silly.

I think the people on these show are just usually a little crazy in the head, same goes for the people on Doomsday Bunkers.

In an apocalyptic world, humanity would revert to prehistoric living conditions. This means they’d be hunting and gathering for their food. You’d be amazed how quickly humanity can adapt to that situation, but it won’t be without some misery in the short term while they adjust.

Also, precious metals and gems will hold a lot of value. It was the original currency, and in many situations today, it still is.

Alcohol is also a good bartering item, but its value won’t be as high as silver, gold, or diamonds. Alcohol was also used in prehistoric times, and not because people could become inebriated. It was because food was sometimes scarce and the alcohol filled their stomachs. So did potatoes.

Which comes to another point; people will also become farmers and harvest their own food. The excess will be used for storage over winter months and bartering. Many people will migrate south to take advantage of a longer growing season.

Try not to be so judgmental of other people, especially when their actions don’t affect you at all. You can wonder about why they’re doing it, but calling them crazy for it and laughing only puts you in the position of the grasshopper in The Ant and the Grasshopper (Google if you don’t know the story).

Also, the Romans had running water and that was in BC era. If an apocalypse happens, worst case scenario is reverting to prehistoric times, but it’s much more likely we’ll live like the Romans did.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    Um, no. You misunderstand me here....

They talk about scenarios in which the human race and civilization as we know it collapses, and everything would be like the 1700s. Then it would be guaranteed to be nothing but misery and suffering.

Would YOU be ok with living in the not only the early 1700s but an anarchy version of the 1700s thats actually even worse? Having lived in our current society? Cmon.

Would YOU REALLY want to live if there was no electricity (Which in turn means) No AC/Heat, No TV, No Computer, No Internet, No Phones, No running water, No running gas pumps so no cars,no light, no stove, no microwave, no oven, no stores/restaurants open, ETC. Plus anarchy. REALLY?
    Actually yes I would be ok with living the way we lived in the 1700s. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my luxuries, but I would much rather live in a world that actually took true strength and hard work to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    Actually yes I would be ok with living the way we lived in the 1700s. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my luxuries, but I would much rather live in a world that actually took true strength and hard work to survive.
    This is one of the reasons obesity is on the rise. There isn't enough labor for people to do, so they spend most of their time in front of a screen instead of getting exercise.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    In an apocalyptic world, humanity would revert to prehistoric living conditions. This means they’d be hunting and gathering for their food. You’d be amazed how quickly humanity can adapt to that situation, but it won’t be without some misery in the short term while they adjust.

Also, precious metals and gems will hold a lot of value. It was the original currency, and in many situations today, it still is.

Alcohol is also a good bartering item, but its value won’t be as high as silver, gold, or diamonds. Alcohol was also used in prehistoric times, and not because people could become inebriated. It was because food was sometimes scarce and the alcohol filled their stomachs. So did potatoes.

Which comes to another point; people will also become farmers and harvest their own food. The excess will be used for storage over winter months and bartering. Many people will migrate south to take advantage of a longer growing season.

Try not to be so judgmental of other people, especially when their actions don’t affect you at all. You can wonder about why they’re doing it, but calling them crazy for it and laughing only puts you in the position of the grasshopper in The Ant and the Grasshopper (Google if you don’t know the story).

Also, the Romans had running water and that was in BC era. If an apocalypse happens, worst case scenario is reverting to prehistoric times, but it’s much more likely we’ll live like the Romans did.
    But realistically, what would people do with gems and metals? I mean for bartering, to trade between 2 individuals and not stores.... I really don't think an individual would have any real use for a Topaz or ... a chunk of silver or anything

Once society partially re-established I could see markets accepting shinys as currency, but not individuals doing personal trades

Also, yes I get it I'm being a bit of an ass in the OP... but... you know.... I don't know.... that's just me lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    But realistically, what would people do with gems and metals? I mean for bartering, to trade between 2 individuals and not stores.... I really don't think an individual would have any real use for a Topaz or ... a chunk of silver or anything

Once society partially re-established I could see markets accepting shinys as currency, but not individuals doing personal trades

Also, yes I get it I'm being a bit of an ass in the OP... but... you know.... I don't know.... that's just me lol
    It's not about their usefulness, it's the fact that even in an post-apocalyptic world they will still hold value as currency because they will be rare items that different villages/tribes know the value of. The only difference then will be the fact that more goods/services will be traded for with other goods, but even so gems/precious metals will still hold value.

Call me crazy, but I think living in a missile silo would be pretty fuckin cool, even if i don't believe in doomsday crap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Call me crazy, but I think living in a missile silo would be pretty fuckin cool, even if i don't believe in doomsday crap.
    I was watching a show once called How the States Got Their Shapes and they showed a family that had purchased a missile silo in Kansas and converted into their home. It was actually pretty badass. This is the place, but the show I had watched was longer and had more details regarding the home.

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep misreading the title of this thread as "Doomsday Peppers." Man, those peppers must be hot as hell!

Anyways, I do not think it is crazy at all to be preparing for a possible Doomsday. As a whole, the human race has one, single goal. To ensure the survival of our species. To just give up and let our species die off simply because life would be harder in a post-doomsday world goes against everything our genetic code tells us to do.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2012-04-22 at 11:24 PM.

I dunno about you guys, but I've stocked up on bottle caps for when doomsday hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire concept of "hunkering down and waiting out the apocalypse" is pure fantasy. Either an astronomical event happens to the planet that absolutely cannot be survived, or people are going to rebuild. There honestly is no in-between. Although, I realize it makes for great fiction.

---------- Post added 2012-05-15 at 02:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Greasy McNasty View Post
    I dunno about you guys, but I've stocked up on bottle caps for when doomsday hits.
    Too bad the future currency of the wasteland will be Pogs.

Deleted
    The people on that show are barking mad and stupid as hell; though the concept in itself is logical to me at least.

Having at least some provisions to keep you and your family going if there was a natural disaster etc is just common sense for a lot of people. Planning for the end of the world is just over the top though. Not to mention, I wouldn't broadcast to people that I have all that stuff... Considering they're preparing for times that will most probably see people breaking the law to do whatever they can to survive, they just made themselves a big target.

It's people like those on the show that give the other people that do it a bad name and image. A lot of people think stockpiling guns and ammo means they can survive anything.

I suppose it's just an elaboration on " Hope for the best, plan for the worst ".

Seems a bit over optimistic planning, I think i'd only spend money on non-perishables if i had a lead lined bunker to store it in, but like someone said noone is surviving doomsday thats why it has such a happy name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doomsday doesn't necessarily mean the world will be uninhabitable, if there was a slight chance you and your family could survive whilst everyone else was either killing each other through nuclear war or just a simple war (which wipes out 99% of the worlds population) why not try you best?

The thing is, they dont prep because they think the world is going to end, they prep because they dont want to get caught out in a situation which could easily be avoided, like storing some water and food.

See preparing for things isn't all that abnormal, humans have done it for centuries, the only reason it has become less of a necessity is because the generations alive at the moment haven't experienced anything extreme, like an army or country invading. Two hundred years ago countries would get invaded all the time or diseases would wipe out huge amounts of the population, so people would store wheat and food in there houses for those situations, especially winter and the chance of a bad crop yield.

Humanity has become so comfortable remaining ignorant of reality, that when something terrible eventually happens, whether it be an economic collapse or a government over reaching and becoming tyranical, that they will get caught out and have to resort to killing each other for the small amount of resources.

If and when (not saying it will) society collapses, how much food is in supply? Maybe two weeks, but not for everyone because the shops will be sacked.

Also, how many people are on medication, especially the depressed and insane, that without that medication literally start killing to get the meds they need because they're literally addicted to them.

If society collapses you really dont want to be waiting around for big bro to come save your ass especially when there will be gangs and crazy people lurking around killing everyone.

No im not a prepper, but if shit goes down, its not going to be pretty.

I'm surprised they haven't had anyone on the show living in an Earthship. They're simply amazing and would be great during any sort of doomsday crisis with a shortage of water and food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasy McNasty View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't had anyone on the show living in an Earthship. They're simply amazing and would be great during any sort of doomsday crisis with a shortage of water and food.
    Even the prospect of a bio-dome that may not be sustainable would be more convincing than "live under concrete and eat canned food for a decade".