Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

No idea what career I want at 22

Forgive me if this has been discussed a million times before. But it's something that has been bothering me for quite a while now and I'm afraid real life friends just can't help me since most of them are already in their career of choice or are studying for it.

To keep this story as short as possible. I graduated high school in 2007, in 08 I completed a course in Multimedia. It touched on some aspects I was interested in but majority of it was website design which I soon grew to hate. Everything else in the course was interesting though (Flash games/animations, graphic design, 3D modelling, etc..).

2009 and 2010 I jumped from course to course, I started so many random courses studying things like psychology, philosophy, sociology and a heap more. But I just couldn't stick to any of them because they didn't interest me enough or I couldn't see myself doing any of them in the future.

In 2011 I started a Game Art course (which I am currently studying in second year). It's probably the closest thing to what I am interested in, but I discovered (typically) it was an extremely popular course with a lot of competition and a lot of outside study, sitting in front of the computer for hours is fine when I'm playing a game, but I became bored very quickly forcing myself to watch tutorial videos and figure out technical difficulties with 3D programs.

I'm currently 22, I've been employed by one company (Subway, god help me) and only got the job about two years ago, it's customer service and I hate it. But I need the cash. So you get the picture. Nothing so far is really doing it for me. Nothing seems like a job I could do and I just don't seem to have enough interest in anything to keep me motivated.

Does anyone else have a similar problem, or has had a similar problem and overcome it?
    Could anyone suggest something for my pathetic self?

Thoughts/comments/critique/etc.. all very appreciated (:

15+ Year Old Account
    Instead of looking for a particular job try to look at job characteristics. What kind of person are you?

1- Do you enjoy interacting with people all day long?
    2- Do you like math?
    3- Do you want to be challenged every day at your job?
    4- Would you rather to sit behind a desk and do your job or do you enjoy work trips?
    5- How easily do you interact with new people?

This way you can come up with the type of job that you may enjoy. It worked for me, hopefully it works for you too.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

15+ Year Old Account
    Though this may not be directly related: one thing you have to remember is that there are a lot of jobs outside the spectrum of things that people normally consider.

Things in companies are often split up into very tiny sections. I have a friend who worked at EA and his job was technically graphics design but his sole responsibility was doing in-game shader effects for the Madden series.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Here is my 2 cents. If you touched base on the 3d modeling try and stick to it. You said that you didn't like it because you had to watch many tutorials on how to work with the programs, well try and tackle to smaller ones first so you end up with a finished product quicker. What i mean by this is take on some smaller models and as you learn how the program works you will actually have something to show for, and hopefully it will give you the extra motivation that you will need when you see that the time you've spent watching those videos have actually meant something, and that you made something.

Oh and don't forget about the end game aspect of the business, if you get through the tough demotivating part you end up as a guy that can make a visual representation of anything that you might see or think of, and if you get to be good at it you might end up making games one day.

I would visit with a guidance counselor, if your learning institution provides one.

Barring that, look for local career day job fair type events. Go to them with an eye of seeing what interests you, even if you aren't ready to apply for any positions just yet.

I can tell you my experiences were fairly similar.

I graduated high school in 3 years. I started college a year early. I stayed there for 4 years or so, but switched my major from Education, to Secondary Education - English Concentration, to English, to Computer Animation and finally Business Management.

I left college without a degree to take a job in business management (retail, hated it). I've worked as a waitress (at three restaurants), an operations manager for a restaurant, a mystery shopper and I'm currently a licensed insurance producer.

I am 32 years old and I *still* don't have any idea of what sort of career would best suit/interest me. I've been told I am bright all my life; I was always told by friends and family "you can be anything you want" and yet I have never wanted to "be" anything.

My advice to you would be find something that sparks your interest and then find a career dealing with your interest.

My husband is a chef and is truly passionate about his work. I envy that.
    Last edited by Scrimshaw; 2012-04-22 at 01:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    myeh I'm 27 and still have no frakkin idea what I want to do, just get a variety of jobs, try stuff out and see what you like, only thing I can suggest
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I am very much in the same boat. I am 21 currently, graduated in 2009. In college spend three semesters doing Computer Science and getting some of my core classes out of the way. But programming, java and all of that was just not my thing at all.

Last year I swapped over to general studies with focus on information technology and business. But I don't know if I want to stick with it or not. It is very hard for me to find stuff that I am interested in (career wise.) Like you said about your self, I can sit in front of a computer all day playing a game, but when it comes to having to do something with studying or anything like that I DREAD it and it bores the life out of me.

I've only had one job, which I despise, but I need the money. :/ I still have NO IDEA what I want to do.

That's what they call "luxury problem" over here.

You've had the fantastic luxury of having the opportunity to take all those classes and courses. And NONE of it had anything to do with the disgusting chore that is "work" - nothing business-style idiot like, nowhere in the near of the realms of "labour", nothing completely tedious, unpersonal and unrelated to yourself. In fact, everything you did was either creative or interesting on a deeper level.

You should remind yourself that there's a LOT of people out there that would kill for your opportunities in life. There's so many people out there that are stuck with their accountant and call center agent jobs, working at McDonalds, sweating, aching and carrying heavy stuff all day and repairing washers for the rest of their lives. And you'd be suprised how many of them would be capable of far more interesting and nicer things. You haven't really touched "work" yet in your life, become aware of that.

You're visiting courses for what other people would consider dream jobs. Multimedia, 3d modelling, philosophy, game art. Jesus Christ. But you fail at putting work into it, appreciating your perspectives and motivating yourself. Perhaps you just simply expect work to feel far more like you were playing games all day. Making a living isn't having a good time, dude. But if you do it RIGHT, it can be both. You have all the chances but you have to make it work. I assume you weren't in situations where you really had to take care of yourself yet, right? Financially, for example.

Once you've tasted the reality of knowing that you're gonna be selling people lawnmovers for the rest of your LIFE to survive, you'll understand where the motivation comes from to sit on your ass and study and find interest in learning how to make those darn video games. It's all about motivation. Making a choice for the sake of the quality of your own life is a strong motivation.

This probably won't help you directly with your own career choice, but it might help you gain some perspective:

I'm (almost) 31 and I still don't know what career I want. I think this continues until you're about 50 and realise you have very little time to do anything about it! The great thing is that, if you're smart and willing to work hard, many employers will look around any qualifications you have and focus on your work ethic. Many skills are transferable from one industry to another.

I studied Architecture at University, now I work as a project manager for a Bank. Between those two I worked in a fast food chain, as a delivery van driver and as a graphic designer for a kitchen company. I found that all of those were not the careers for me by going out there and actually doing the job. Live and learn.

My short term advice to you would be this: If you're studying at a College or University or whatever, they will likely have a careers councillor. Go talk to them and put some things down on paper (like Deleo said above).
    My long term advice: Don't worry about it! You have so many years to make a few mistakes, it really doesn't matter if you don't land your dream career as soon as you step off your course. Just enjoy the journey getting there
    Don't hate the player, learn to play.

15+ Year Old Account
    I always thought I knew what Career I wanted, It was in IT, now I'm in this career I find that I enjoy the customer service side rather than the IT side of things, I enjoy speaking to people, it gives a real sense of satisfaction helping others

That's all the advice I can really offer but I suppose everyone is different

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people go through this, you are not alone. Stick it out until you have a decent reserve of cash, and in the meantime look for something else. Do the job required of you, but that doesn't mean you have to stick with it the rest of your life.

It's easy to feel trapped from 20-30 because those are transition years. you lose your youth, possibly your hair, but you gain character for yourself, just make sure you experience everything you can.

Just remember that you aren't alone, and be glad that you are healthy. Life has been designed to be this way since WWII. And our generation is now facing the failure of it with the saturation of people available for work.
    dictated but not read.

At the very least you seem to have an interest in gaming and you have some education related to graphics and such.

I'd suggest a couple of paths depending on what your interests are.

Start advertising your 2D skills around as much as you can and just start pumping out anything that seems fun to get working.

Granted this is quite a bit harder but find out if theres any gaming companies within driving range who need testers of any kind. Getting your foot in the door there could have enormous potential opportunities down the line.

Motivation isn't something that you acquire you just get better at managing it. Make small goals - bang them out - the motivation will come.

Good luck to you.

Jinks

if its really competitive, you have to ask yourself, how bad do i want it?

to be successful in a popular industry, you have to always be willing to do more than the next guy. you have to do everything to your fullest. you have to sacrifice nearly everything at times.

if you are not willing to do everything you can to get the best grade, or get a job interview, then an industry this competitive is not for you.
    no excuses. and remember, the average person is lazy, so DONT BE LAZY. and you will succeed!

Thanks for all the replies, you've all been really helpful so far haha

It's good to know others have the same issue, I was starting to feel like a bit of a loner compared to most of my real life friends.

Jimmy; I definitely get your point. I'm sure I could easily stay at Subway or get a job at Kmart or a supermarket and live adequately for the rest of my life. But the reason I chose to do these courses is because I didn't want that, I want to have a job I love. The money means little to nothing to me, as long as I have enough to survive and a job I love, then I'm set. Luckily we don't have too many economic problems in Australia right now (to my knowledge anyway).

There is a careers expo in a week so I plan to go to that and hopefully find something of use there.

Thank you all again, you've all been extremely helpful (:

---------- Post added 2012-04-22 at 11:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vazar_da_priest View Post
    if its really competitive, you have to ask yourself, how bad do i want it?

to be successful in a popular industry, you have to always be willing to do more than the next guy. you have to do everything to your fullest. you have to sacrifice nearly everything at times.

if you are not willing to do everything you can to get the best grade, or get a job interview, then an industry this competitive is not for you.
    no excuses. and remember, the average person is lazy, so DONT BE LAZY. and you will succeed!
    I like this. You're absolutely right. This is something my bf is really good at, he wants a job in the games industry and nothing will stop him. I need to start listening to him I think haha

There are people in their 40s that study in university, some people need more time to figure out what to do, as long as you don't just sit around on your bum you are fine imo and don't waste money/student loans on studies you feel uncertain on.

I'm 27 and just started studying(first semester for me), been working until now ... most of the time for Preem(petroleum) and Volvo ... so I got 4 years ahead of me, will be 31 once I graduate. As long as you keep busy I don't see it as a huge disadvantage to wait with studies. Work experience even count as an advantage here in Sweden when you apply for higher studies. I'm a few years older then most people that study with me though, but it really doesn't bother me.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-04-22 at 02:16 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

The world needs people working at subway, nothing wrong with it.
    I personally didn't have your 'problem' - as you describe it, but I wouldn't call it one (if you're fine working at subway forever).
    I believe in this: go to school, go to college, get a job, get married, have a kid. It's not for everyone though. Some drop out of college to start facebook/microsoft, others work in subway.

To pick a job, you should see what you enjoy doing. answer to Deleo's questions in your main post, and someone will suggest something.
    Also list how much time/money you have to study. You may make a good doctor, but it would take like what? 12 years about?

OP you are one of many. All you can do is play to your strengths and talents and pick a job that builds upon them because you will succeed easily if you do. Just have to have the self-discipline and motivation to educate yourself and start a job, because that's when the real fun starts.

Deleted
    Im in the same boat man, 21 i have studied accounting and engineering and I think i will change again, At this point I think Im just going to roll the dice and see where i end up

Work hard at everything you do. Although it's true that a non-technical degree will likely mean less job opportunities, that doesn't mean you won't find good work doing what you want if you put in the effort. While it's not much effort to pass classes at school, it significantly more to ensure that you get an A in everything. If you find that you still have a lot of extra time, find a related project outside of school and work on it. Design stuff that could be put in a portfolio when you apply for a job. Ask a teacher the kinds of stuff that would distinguish you from the other students, then do that. When summer and winter breaks come around, work at those projects hard.

You say that motivation is a problem, but I don't think it's that - I think you're depressed, in some way or another. While there are a lot of ways to deal with that, I think the best way to is to struggle with it until you succeed in something difficult. It's an absolutely wonderful feeling to be handed back an A on something that you lost sleep over. Take classes that seem interesting, then look at a professor-rating website and make sure the teacher is regarded as very difficult. Challenge yourself to do well in a class where the teacher has high expectations - it's going to be a struggle, but it's so worth it in the end. If you succeed, not only will you have respect for somebody that wanted to push you hard, but you'll have respect for yourself for meeting the challenge. Believe me, it's a wonderful, wonderful thing.

Deleted
    Jimmy hellfire knows whats up, hes totally right.