Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

HEAVY undercutting on glyphs..

Anyone else experience this? Last week I upped the glyph market with every glyph of 200g+ some even 400g.

I made like 2k gold(didn't sell many) and suddenly the sells stopped. I realized I was facing a SERIOUS undercutting, the 400g glyphs went to 30g and the cheaper ones EVEN to 5g.

I don't get this, are people really that stupid to undercut BY that much. It is beyond me why anyone would undercut like that(it's not like they even make profit).

Now fellow scribes, what's your opinion on this?

Perhaps someone leveled inscription and simply wanted to get rid of the glyphs in his inventory? Not everyone is interested in playing the AH, and just wants to be sure the items sell instead of filling the mailbox.

depends on how many ppl undercut you... say its only 5-8 ppl then buy it and list it at your price!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I often crash prices to just piss people off. Also I stock some low priced glyphs then, because people are undercutting me and I can buyout them out.

Yeah, but it's often used, when you want to drive competitors away from market and get some cheapish glyphs too.
    (>^^)> Pandas

I personally find when a glyph I have been selling bombs down in price, its 9 times out of 10 down to someone levelling inscription or someone with spare glyphs that doesnt really understand how much they can sell for. I will normally wait a week and most occasions said glyph will be back up to a price that I am happy with.
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

I undercut like that all the time, I drop 249-300 down to 29 or 39.

Why? You'd have to be an idiot to pay 250 gold for a glyph.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either one person really wanted his item to sell right meow, or like 20 scribes logged on and just kept undercutting each other.

All I can say is leave yours up, if it expires, maybe try a new price. If you leave it up, eventually (and hopefully) everyone else will sell out, and someone will really need a glyph. That's when you win.

Quote Originally Posted by nhguild View Post

If you still needed a glyph each time you wanted to change them out, then yes I would agree.

But not now that you permanently learn the glyph 250 gold for a decent glyph is not much to ask for.

You'd have to be an idiot to sell an item for way less than its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    If you still needed a glyph each time you wanted to change them out, then yes I would agree.

But not now that you permanently learn the glyph 250 gold for a decent glyph is not much to ask for.
    this is EXACTLY the point. this market is almost dead, why exactly do you expect me to sell them for 20g?

that was a wotlk price when
    1.the glyphs were NOT permanent
    2.the inflation wasn't this high

people are simply stupid. if a glyph is 100g, you don't undercut by 75%. there is no logic in it. glyphs are worth less than the mats for the most part. you have to catch them at the right times because stupid people give them away.

glad they bought their gold and don't care about it. helps the rest of us out.

This is why I bought EVERY single glyph in the game for every character in LICH KING. Therefore, I got most of my glyphs for super cheap and almost every one of them
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    The mats cost 15g on US-Darkspear. Selling it for 250g is a huge profit margin. Personally, I cap mine at 250% of the current material cost (which usually comes out to 40g).

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    TBH at those prices it's not surprising to see a huge undercut, I mean you got greedy Glyphs should be no where near that most people post things for what they feel most others would pay for them.

If you were serious about making gold you would buy that and re-sell, if ur not that serious about controlling the market then its your own damn fault.

get some balls or leave the market, dont act as if gold should be handled to you in a silver plate.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    people are simply stupid. if a glyph is 100g, you don't undercut by 75%. there is no logic in it. glyphs are worth less than the mats for the most part. you have to catch them at the right times because stupid people give them away.
    Person A posts glyph for 100g. Nobody buys it.
    Person B posts glyph for 25g. It gets sold.

Person A made 0g and person B made 25g

Person B isn't as stupid as you think.

So, undercutting by a large percentage is bad?
    but overpricing by a huge margin isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    WoW players rarely understand the concept of 'opportunity cost'. To them, a stack of glyphs made while leveling is worth nothing. They don't care about how much the materials that went into making it were worth, or what the average AH price is. If they gathered the materials themselves, they are more than likely to place the value of them at zero, ignoring what they could be sold for on the AH.

If they are way underpriced, you can always just buy them out and relist them yourself over time.

Quote Originally Posted by otro View Post
    If you were serious about making gold you would buy that and re-sell, if ur not that serious about controlling the market then its your own damn fault.

get some balls or leave the market, dont act as if gold should be handled to you in a silver plate.
    funny or not I did that. Guess what. DIFFERENT people flooded the market again with even cheaper ones...talk about braindead.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Person A posts glyph for 100g. Nobody buys it.
    Person B posts glyph for 25g. It gets sold.

Person A made 0g and person B made 25g

Person B isn't as stupid as you think.
    But.

If Person B would have posted that 99g, he would have made 99g, because someone is going to buy that glyph eventually.
    (>^^)> Pandas