Thread: Always online

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Always online

Ok. I get why you have to log in and have the always online thingie. Its to get rid of cheats and whatnot.

But seriously... i am now downloading Titan quest from steam, while playing diablo 3.. Alone. Singleplayer... But what is this. Its unplayable due to lag... from downloading... in a singleplayer... Makes sense

I hope this wont be a issue in the full release...

Yea that's solid BS. I can't imagine what they were thinking. I hated playing with other people in D2. So now if i'm doing anything at all that eats bandwidth other than playing d3 I'll lag? Fantastic..

It really doesn't take much bandwidth. Maybe the lag was coming from the fact it was a stress-test - the servers have been pretty laggy.
    I was downloading stuff while playing with no problems (but I have a 30Mb connection, so maybe that helps).

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    It really doesn't take much bandwidth. Maybe the lag was coming from the fact it was a stress-test - the servers have been pretty laggy.
    I was downloading stuff while playing with no problems (but I have a 30Mb connection, so maybe that helps).
    i guess that could help yeah Only on 11mbit connection myself. And all in all. It is on the American servers. But i still find it strange that when you play it singleplayer style. Forever alone and such. You are able to get connection lag

Litteratly everything is "taken" from blizards servers, nothing is stored on your own pc, Which means that even in single player mode, you are playing online, The solution? get a better connection.

This IS a stress test, so lag is understandable. Understand that even when you're playing single player, though, you're playing on a Blizzard server.

I do think it's just due to the stress-test and not because you were downloading stuff. I play WoW, and I never get problems even when me or someone else is downloading... and I should think that D3 will have much less traffic than WoW (considering what its like running around Stormwind when its busy...)

Playing online doesn't bother me. I always played Diablo 2 with my friends and am looking forward to playing Diablo 3 with everyone. I wasn't experiencing any lag while playing aside from a few spikes here or there. But it is a stress test and I am sure it's not going to affect the final product too much unless you are downloading something that just eats bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    i guess that could help yeah Only on 11mbit connection myself. And all in all. It is on the American servers. But i still find it strange that when you play it singleplayer style. Forever alone and such. You are able to get connection lag
    I played from the EU on the US servers in the stress test weekend, and at one point I was downloading the Tera US beta.

I have a 6mbit connection and Tera took 90% of my download speed, and I had no lag in D3. I did have lag at random times during US prime times, so I chalk it up to server load.

I approve of having the "always online" playstyle, since it reduces cheating. (Even in single player, there is a presence of competition, especially if you talk to friends who play and want bragging rights on progress)

Another feature of "always online" is that you can track progress and watch others' progress via friends lists.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like that I have to connect to blizzard servers for a single player game to be honest. My connection is fine, no lag or what not. But I would prefer to download patches at my leisure and not having to worry about them taking the servers down the one day I have to play. Plus, I have charter, so sometimes they decide I don't have internet. Would be nice to be able to play without a connection. As long as it compensates with plenty of updates and the pvp is good in the long run though I will be happy enough.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Takanami View Post
    I don't like that I have to connect to blizzard servers for a single player game to be honest.
    D3 isnt a single player game

When playing single-player there is no need for communication outside of chat.
    Its a load of rubbish to justify it from the cheating view because wow suffered from item duping despite being online all the time.
    And then there is the abundance of bots/speedhacks which are still a problem years on.

There is no reason for it whatsoever.

"Always Online" sounds like a maxi pad app.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krogh View Post
    Litteratly everything is "taken" from blizards servers, nothing is stored on your own pc, Which means that even in single player mode, you are playing online,
    Well certaintly not literary everything is server side. Loot drops, damage dealt and stuff like that are calculated server side and sent to the client. It works very much like an mmorpg tech - wise.

It's just one of their ways to try and eliminate piracy. Not to mention, people who have to be online will sometimes be tempted to play online and take advantage of things like the RMAH to put even more money in Blizzard's pockets.

Diablo 3 is a multiplayer game. Just because you're playing by yourself doesn't make it a single player game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggowaffles View Post
    Diablo 3 is a multiplayer game. Just because you're playing by yourself doesn't make it a single player game.
    I dont agree, at all....

Its a silly idea, people will get annoyed when the servers are down, or if silly things like servers get full.. I was getting annoyed by the fact that I get about 300 ms on the beta because the beta servers are presumably located in US

FU Blizzard

Deleted
    Like with sc2 they will add a option to play offline probally aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by turbonerd View Post
    They will not, the whole point of online only is to

A) Prevent pirating
    B) Avoid having game files on your side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by turbonerd View Post
    They very clearly stated from the very beginning at least 6 months ago I think perhaps more, that there would only be online play.... so it's fairly unlikely at this stage that they'll add an offline option. They've made it very clear that the game was designed for online play.