Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

4 players is max or just beta?

I noticed today that the max players per game is 4? Or is this just in beta? I kinda loved the 8 player feel of d2..

Deleted
    Unfortunately it is 4 in the final game too with the exception of 3 vs 3 Arenas.
    I really hope they increase the player maximum.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not an MMO I'm pretty sure that's it.

Deleted
    D2 wasn't an mmo either and still there was a 8 player maximum...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    It's not an MMO I'm pretty sure that's it.
    What does MMO have to do with the the number of players? Like I said Diablo 2 (d2) had a number of max 8.

Deleted
    It's definitely going to be 4 in live.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lower number of players makes each player more important in co-op I guess, especially on higher difficulties.

4 players is final afaik
    http://img3.abload.de/img/kalysigqgll.gif
    (As nice as your signature is, it's too large, sorry )

they already answered why they chose this number of players.
    for example its because in a group of eight, the effort of a single player is getting close to meaningless. if one player is sitting afk somewhere its not gonna be noticed really. this effect is greatly diminished with 4 players as a maximum.
    its also a lot easier for 4 players to stay together and see whats happening where and when.

theres some more reasons they listed but im surely not gonna list them all, look it up yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Belial91 View Post
    Unfortunately it is 4 in the final game too with the exception of 3 vs 3 Arenas.
    I really hope they increase the player maximum.
    I think they've changed that to 4v4 as well. Not entirely sure though, and seeing as the PVP mode is being delayed it might very well be changed again.

I think having 4 is better since 8 was way too cluttered. Plus, this will cut down on competition for drops. Nothing like killing Baal and it appearing as nothing at all dropped because of so much clicking.

10+ Year Old Account
    since the hardest difficulty is going to require a full party until you are decently geared (especially if you want to magic find), 8 people is too much... 4 is a good number. I have 3 good friends I'll be doing hardcore with, and I'm pumped.

---------- Post added 2012-04-22 at 04:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I think having 4 is better since 8 was way too cluttered. Plus, this will cut down on competition for drops. Nothing like killing Baal and it appearing as nothing at all dropped because of so much clicking.
    Loot isn't like that anymore... everyone gets their own loot and cant see whatever else gets... same for gold.

Drop competition isnt there in D3, However its too cluttered with more indeed and I think mainly its becuse of system requirements, the game is 3D after all and with 8 players also multiplying the amount of mobs and such the game would be completely unplayable on many more PCs in the lower segment.

Well, 4-player max ? That's kinda ........ small group, and I don't know why it makes me think that it was done with consoles in mind.

It's basically what people are saying - Blizzard is making a PC version with a console version already in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rad586 View Post
    Well, 4-player max ? That's kinda ........ small group, and I don't know why it makes me think that it was done with consoles in mind.

It's basically what people are saying - Blizzard is making a PC version with a console version already in mind.
    This doesn't have much of anything to do with it.

4 players seems right for D3. You feel like you're contributing, and you can actually tell what's going on. You feel like a real unit. In D2 in an 8 player game I often just felt like I was along for the ride, even if I was doing a significant portion of the damage.

I can see why there are complaints, especially those people who just happen to have a group of 5 friends that want to play together, but the smaller group size really does feel better.

To the people who want a higher max, did you ever actually play Diablo 2 with 7 other people all doing the same quest even one time during D2's life? The only thing more players meant to me was more xp and loot drops for the quest/boss I'm soloing.
    ಠ_ಠ

Deleted
    four players only yeah, the classes feel a bit more synergic than in D2 so that's probably why.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Looks like you missed one of the greatest news. There is no loot competition. In fact you increase your chance to get an item while playing with more people.

Deleted
    Glad they went with 4 people, think they've learned the lesson from WoW that most people like a small group of players where individuals are more valuable.

Don't get me wrong, I loved 40 mans there and am sure 8 mans would be fun in D3 but it's just much easier to get 3 mates online than 7 and makes the game more accessable to everyone along with each person meanng more it's going to be harder to get carried.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    since the hardest difficulty is going to require a full party until you are decently geared (especially if you want to magic find), 8 people is too much... 4 is a good number. I have 3 good friends I'll be doing hardcore with, and I'm pumped
    I cannot express hos excited I get when I hear about running hardcore difficulty with friends. Do you have any insight in how hard things will be, and if more or less anyone can beat the hardest difficulty and boss with just a max level? Or will there ALWAYS be a challenge, regardless of your gear and level, just like wow?

Or anyone else? :>