Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Sudden FPS drops in WoW?

Most of the time I have around 90-130 fps.

But there are small periods of time of about 3 to 50 minute where my dps drops to 25-32.

Is it extremely annoying and by god I don't know why or how this happens.

I did get a new monitor recently which is 24 inch, way bigger than my older one, maybe this has something to do with it?

Vsync is off.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it because you go into a major city?

Deleted
    Could be many things really.

First thing I would do is play with all addons disabled and see from there.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you got a bigger monitor it is very likely you are running at a higher resolution than you had with the previous monitor. Chances are that is causing your frame rate to feel lower than it had in the past.

Deleted
    Well it is not the addons thing.

Major cities no, it happens at even the most abandoned places.

Overheating....idk...

And at what resolution should I play with a 24 inch screen?

10+ Year Old Account
    You should always play at native resolution for any screen, that is if your graphic card can hold it , since you're having spikes i believe the problem is not the bigger res, its actually something like overheating .

Deleted
    Does it happen after you use alt+tab or similar to switch to windows and back? I had an issue with this before, and what fixed was by switching from fullscreen mode to windowed and back. Annoying, but it only takes a few seconds

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.19-setup.exe

Next time you get the fps drops, take a pic of the temps you're geting and post it

Deleted
    I will just post it in PM since the picture is too big. Say if you want a PM but the temps look fine I think.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-04-22 at 09:51 PM.

Temps are indeed perfectly normal!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    Temps are indeed perfectly normal!
    Hyper 212+ cooler of course. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    Anti-Virus / Spyware is on auto scan.

I bet thats the cause
    Hmm....could be.

Deleted
    Sorry for a thread necro but i have really annoying problem, similar to OP's one but far worse.
    Up until now everything was OK, i had 50-60 fps in world, 25-40 in city and raid (I raid 25-mans) with mid-high settings.
    But suddenly I started to have OUTRAGEOUS framerate drops, to the point of completely unplayable game. Game literally freezes to 1-2 FPS for 30 seconds, then regains normal framerate and this happens pretty often. How bad 1 FPS during a raidboss progression attempt can be I don't have to tell.

PC: Acer 5552G mobile with win7 home premium
    Addons I'm running: skada, postal, auctionator, raid achievement, DBM, openraid invite assistant, NPC scan
    Resolution: 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz, settings were on high, lowered them to mid-low, didn't helped at all.
    Background: only Mumble, everything else it shut down durning raiding

Maybe it's too many items in Auctionator memory, maybe it's Skada recording too much. Something is wrong. This didn't happened before and I raided 25-man normals since this expansion came out so this can't really be my PCs fault.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    Sorry for a thread necro but i have really annoying problem, similar to OP's one but far worse.
    Up until now everything was OK, i had 50-60 fps in world, 25-40 in city and raid (I raid 25-mans) with mid-high settings.
    But suddenly I started to have OUTRAGEOUS framerate drops, to the point of completely unplayable game. Game literally freezes to 1-2 FPS for 30 seconds, then regains normal framerate and this happens pretty often. How bad 1 FPS during a raidboss progression attempt can be I don't have to tell.

PC: Acer 5552G mobile with win7 home premium
    Addons I'm running: skada, postal, auctionator, raid achievement, DBM, openraid invite assistant, NPC scan
    Resolution: 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz, settings were on high, lowered them to mid-low, didn't helped at all.
    Background: only Mumble, everything else it shut down durning raiding

Maybe it's too many items in Auctionator memory, maybe it's Skada recording too much. Something is wrong. This didn't happened before and I raided 25-man normals since this expansion came out so this can't really be my PCs fault.
    Try to turn off addons worked for me. Or update them.
    Maybe your drivers are outdated?

You can also mess around with Vsync, Triple buffering and that other thing under Triple buffering. Also mess around with FPS caps.

It resolved when I did those things, try turning off addons first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    I started having this same problem when i had Auctionator enabled. I was getting tons of lua errors from it. Try turning your add-ons off one by one to see which one is causing your issue. If that doesn't work start looking at hardware and your hardware drivers.

Try reducing your Clutter Density if you experience fps drops in remote/abandoned places.
    I experienced fps drops while leveling in Nagrand and it turned out to be the amount of grass doodads on the ground that caused it.

It's nice to see that pretty much all of the of posts are giving the OP advice without even asking the computer specs or any sort of addition hardware/software information.

If i had a dollar for every computer thread being fixed by turning off/updating addons....

I would imagine it's as someone else said the anti virus auto scanning a file that warcraft uses a lot as well. it happens with TF2 with AVG, so you have to make an exception to a certain file in the steam apps folder, i think it is a stats update file.

that being said, i'm not sure what file it is in the WoW folder that might be causing the similar problem.

If you are running win7 you can run the performance monitor as you play. Sudden fps drop? alt tab to it and see what is happening. You can see if it's a sudden CPU hit by something, or if it's a HDD issue. If that proves that it is infact wow, disable all addons and see if it happens.