Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    honestly it really isn't that much of a pain to re-roll if you can't wait for server transfers in 1.3. ive done it 3 times and don't regret it...plus, i just power level through content ive already done (if i feel like it), or just focus on the class quests and mix in space quests, flash points and pvp to level.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Server transfers should be available before 1.3. They already did some transfers for oceanic players I think.
    They havent said that it is going to happen so blindly assuming it will is a bit foolish. They just recently acknowledged that its something they should look into.

OP make the choice to reroll kinda sucks depending on what you will be leaving behind. I know I did it and for that 1st week I almost quit but going from a server that you couldn't do anything in a group and had the chance of being on a planet all by yourself to a server with 200+ in fleet most of the day and 100+ on most planets it was a good choice. If you do decide to reroll from what I have seen Harbinger is a good option there are a 2 or 3 other servers to pick from with decent populations aswell. This isnt a perfect tool but http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats http://www.torstatus.net/shards/eu/stats might help. You can even go further into that and see what the peek times look like or match up server traffic with when you play.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rerolling is entirely viable if you don't want to wait until an unknown release of 4.3. It also gives you a chance to switch mains, or try the other AC of your main. This way when transfers are available, you haven't wasted time having 2 of the same thing. It was kind of liberating. Jedi Covenant and the Swiftsure are great choices just below the queue ones. I don't have a queue, but there are frequently 100+ in zones and pushing 200-300 on the fleet at peak.

It has been totally worth it.

The problem the game is going through right now is that their are too many servers for even a growing population, which we likely have the launch server ques to thank for.

Everyone complained that they had to wait to get into their servers, so they demanded more, and now they're enjoying the consequences of that. Server mergers definitely should happen, but not because the game is struggling, but because we just have too many servers for even a thriving game at this point. Swtor has like 120 US servers, which is entirely too many for a game of this massive scope that isn't called World of Warcraft. Servers feel unpopulated because everyone on them are spread so damn thin you barely ever see anyone.

In my opinion, it would help a lot to cut the server load down to about 90.

Deleted
    Apparently they are actually doing the Asia transfers manually (hence the applying and then taking ages for it to happen), so the whole thing they said about having a system in place and then soon expanding it to the main servers is a lie. Does anyone know if this is true?

The problem with SWTOR is that to many people have already left the game for various reasons, some of the main ones being:

1. Bugs and glitches
    2. Lack of end-game content, even with the new patch
    3. Broken PvP and lag
    4. Lack of basic and core features of a standard MMO nowadays: flashpoint finder, server transfers, etc, etc.
    5. Copy and paste of to many other MMO's before it, but Bioware still failing at even the "copy and paste" part. (why play a game that just copies everything before it, but makes it so that the previous games still do a better job of said features?)

There are more, but those are some of the big ones that I see a lot of people complaining about. So, with all the people that left because of these reasons, that already starts to hurt your server community. Then, when the people that are left start to get frustrated because they can't do anything because of low populations, they then to leave. It just starts a vicious and never ending cycle that gives the end result of a bunch of dead servers with a few really high pop ones because everyone that is left just rerolled to them.

Bioware hurt themselves BIG TIME by releasing an MMO in 2011/2012 that lacked many, MANY basic and core features of a standard MMO nowadays. I don't give a rat's ass what their excuse was for not including a flashpoint finder at launch, but this is most definitely one of the biggest reasons I keep seeing people leave the game. What's the point in playing a game when there is no one to run with or people just don't want to be bothered with putting their own group together? The traditional method of standing in the main city and shouting "LFG" is ancient and needs to die.....now. I couldn't tell you how many people I know that have quit the game because of this missing feature, even the people in active and healthy guilds.

I'm even starting to see some of the mid to mid-high pop servers dwindle in numbers. There are fewer and fewer people questing. Fewer and fewer people doing flashpoints. Fewer and fewer people raiding. Hell, I'm more likely to raise my grandmother from the dead than I am to get into a group to do even 1 flashpoint or heroic quest on a lot of the servers. But Bioware states there isn't a problem with their numbers. HAHAHAHAHAHA. What a load of horse shit.

OT: If you still love playing the game, then yes, reroll. If it's becoming to much of a hassle for you (like it is for a lot of other people, and it's not their fault but Bioware's) to try to play this MMO as an MMO instead of a single player game, then quit. There are much greener pastures on the horizon than this sorry excuse of an MMO. GW2 beta weekend is this weekend, all you need to do is pre-purchase the game and you instantly get into the beta weekend. I would suggest trying it. It looks like it will blow SWTOR out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    The problem with SWTOR is that to many people have already left the game for various reasons, some of the main ones being:

1. Bugs and glitches
    2. Lack of end-game content, even with the new patch
    3. Broken PvP and lag
    4. Lack of basic and core features of a standard MMO nowadays: flashpoint finder, server transfers, etc, etc.
    5. Copy and paste of to many other MMO's before it, but Bioware still failing at even the "copy and paste" part. (why play a game that just copies everything before it, but makes it so that the previous games still do a better job of said features?)

There are more, but those are some of the big ones that I see a lot of people complaining about. So, with all the people that left because of these reasons, that already starts to hurt your server community. Then, when the people that are left start to get frustrated because they can't do anything because of low populations, they then to leave. It just starts a vicious and never ending cycle that gives the end result of a bunch of dead servers with a few really high pop ones because everyone that is left just rerolled to them.

Bioware hurt themselves BIG TIME by releasing an MMO in 2011/2012 that lacked many, MANY basic and core features of a standard MMO nowadays. I don't give a rat's ass what their excuse was for not including a flashpoint finder at launch, but this is most definitely one of the biggest reasons I keep seeing people leave the game. What's the point in playing a game when there is no one to run with or people just don't want to be bothered with putting their own group together? The traditional method of standing in the main city and shouting "LFG" is ancient and needs to die.....now. I couldn't tell you how many people I know that have quit the game because of this missing feature, even the people in active and healthy guilds.

I'm even starting to see some of the mid to mid-high pop servers dwindle in numbers. There are fewer and fewer people questing. Fewer and fewer people doing flashpoints. Fewer and fewer people raiding. Hell, I'm more likely to raise my grandmother from the dead than I am to get into a group to do even 1 flashpoint or heroic quest on a lot of the servers. But Bioware states there isn't a problem with their numbers. HAHAHAHAHAHA. What a load of horse shit.

OT: If you still love playing the game, then yes, reroll. If it's becoming to much of a hassle for you (like it is for a lot of other people, and it's not their fault but Bioware's) to try to play this MMO as an MMO instead of a single player game, then quit. There are much greener pastures on the horizon than this sorry excuse of an MMO. GW2 beta weekend is this weekend, all you need to do is pre-purchase the game and you instantly get into the beta weekend. I would suggest trying it. It looks like it will blow SWTOR out of the water.
    Worst part of all is - none of the other big games for 2012 have even come out yet. If you think the population loss is bad now... just wait til the competition actually arrives...

I suspect 'weird' posts coming from 'weird' people. The game is by far not reflecting some things people said.The game stands entertaining, the queue times have dropped down to 500 people which is not perfect yet but rather ok, and apart from ghost server ( like 4light servers or maybe 6 out of 50 ) that have people who rerolled to decent servers by now i dont see any signs of 'weakness'.

I am having a blast playing the game, enjoyed the new content and atm trying to gear up my operative( ! ) but damned work doesnt allow me ><.
    A mod should lock this topic btw as it only serves as a 'negativity' hub for swtor. A carefull examiner will see that random people just spam here to keep it first topic alive.
    my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreary View Post
    Worst part of all is - none of the big games for 2012 have even come out yet. If you think the population loss is bad now... just wait til the competition actually arrives...
    I couldn't agree more. When games likes Tera and GW2 finally hit shelves, I think people will see just how shitty SWTOR really is when people start leaving in droves for greener pastures (the fact that these games are launching with features that SWTOR has YET to introduce speaks volumes in and of itself). Me and most of the people I know have either quit SWTOR or are going to quit when GW2 finally arrives, because we already see SWTOR for the fail game it is. Of course, it will still have the hardcore, die-hard, star wars fan boys who hang onto the game until its last dying breath, but they will soon see they are a dwindling minority.

Infracted ~ Dakia
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-04-25 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaul View Post
    Apparently they are actually doing the Asia transfers manually (hence the applying and then taking ages for it to happen), so the whole thing they said about having a system in place and then soon expanding it to the main servers is a lie. Does anyone know if this is true?
    I don't think that can be true.

They have everybody's characters in a database. Think of an Excel sheet with Character name, password, wealth, equipment, etc.
    One of those cells contains a variable denoting which server the character is based on. All they have to do is change that 1 variable. It's literally 1 line of sql..

set SERVER to "the new server name/port" where USERNAME == "the Characters name";

They might be visually monitoring everyone who moves but I'm not sure why they would bother..
    Last edited by Dreary; 2012-04-25 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreary View Post
    Worst part of all is - none of the other big games for 2012 have even come out yet. If you think the population loss is bad now... just wait til the competition actually arrives...

It is going to be hard for them to get past the flavor of the week gamers that leave their current one for the newest one every time. Right now SWTOR is going up against WoW at the end of its expansion and a lack luster raid and a bunch of other free games so ppl aren't paying for anything if they already owned the game. D3, Tera, GW2 and eventualy MoP is going to really make them work for their subscriptions. D3 and Tera might not hurt them much since they aren't the same type of game so it will only share a small portion of players.

Its a shame this could have been a great game but poor planning and design and their own customer service and relations really got in their way. Its like we were handed a great meal then told we can only eat it with cactus spoons.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I like the phrase 'cactus spoons', this thread really has devolved, in 2 pages, to be a SWTOR Bash thread. A lot of us tried to give actual responses to the OP, but unfortunately the MMO Doom Sayers have raided this thread with their non-factual angst. To the OP, read my earlier response regarding rerolling. I recommend it personally.

To a Mod...this thread is not going to end up as anything productive.

OP, FWIW, Nathema US, where I am, is practically dead, so I'm waiting on what will hopefully be free server transfers.
    Last edited by Lord Blackmore; 2012-04-25 at 04:08 PM.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

I know what you mean it feels like a ghost town sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Necrolepsy View Post
    Big servers tend to attract the worst crowd, try and find a medium pop realm tbh
    Agree. Just to use WoW as an example the 3 biggest US servers (Mal'Ganis, Illidan, maybe Blackrock as the 3rd) have the largest and worse communities ever. Full of nothing but people who all think they are leet badasses and require rediculous expectations just to get a group. I guess it would be like a normal flashpoint group here requiring you to have full nightmare mode raid gear just to join

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    They havent said that it is going to happen so blindly assuming it will is a bit foolish. They just recently acknowledged that its something they should look into.

OP make the choice to reroll kinda sucks depending on what you will be leaving behind. I know I did it and for that 1st week I almost quit but going from a server that you couldn't do anything in a group and had the chance of being on a planet all by yourself to a server with 200+ in fleet most of the day and 100+ on most planets it was a good choice. If you do decide to reroll from what I have seen Harbinger is a good option there are a 2 or 3 other servers to pick from with decent populations aswell. This isnt a perfect tool but http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats http://www.torstatus.net/shards/eu/stats might help. You can even go further into that and see what the peek times look like or match up server traffic with when you play.

I agree about the Harbinger...I made the mistake of initially rolling on Namadii Corridor, and while not exactly a light pop server, at peak its only medium, but outside of fleet, it was hell trying to get into a group for anything...I randomly rolled an alt on Harbinger only to find out some old WoW guildies had made a guild there as well, plus I never have a problem gettin in groups for anything now. On average 200+ in fleet, and 80-90 per planet during peak hours is sweet.