Use for consecration?

Just yesterday someone contradicted my use of Consecration, which is part of my tank rotation. They say it is a BC spell that is not really needed anymore. I use it for threat generation really and have always found it useful. I was just wondering if anyone else here that is a prot pally uses this spell as part of their rotation and to help threat generation or am I just crazy? :P

Thanks!

Deleted
    I find I use it else i've got free GCDs. Why not use it if you have free GCDs its only extra tps and dps.

Also in mop, i think it will become part of the rotation as you can have it up 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a nice spell for AoE threat at least, not initial threat but sustained threat I suppose.

For single target, not so much. I only use it then if I find myself not having anything else to spend my GCD on. That and I like the spell effect. You can tank fine without it though, but I'd use it if you're in an AoE situation.

I wish Holy Wrath was built into Consecration so that when we used Holy Wrath, Consecration was laid down on the ground as well. That way we have good initial threat as well as some sustained.

Oh well.

On what fight did they comment it? 5man trash? :P
    Hi

I was taking on about five at once and they whispered it to me. I was like, "I appreciate the advice, but this is what works for me."

I only use it for about 3+ mobs to keep threat generally, I never use it on just one because it takes a lot of mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjordan96 View Post
    I only use it for about 3+ mobs to keep threat generally, I never use it on just one because it takes a lot of mana.
    Then you're fine, and they're stupid. You obviously understand how the spell works, and the situations it's useful in, so don't worry about them whispering you.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Deleted
    Like DnD or Thunderclap its most useful when mobs are going to be running past you to the DPS - they hit your consecration and hopefully come to you instead. I only use it at the start of the pull but if you have AOE threat issues then by all means spam it some. I have seen some beta videos where it is now placeable (like DnD) and on a very short cooldown so it could be that Blizz intend all prot pallies to use it more and more in MoP, or there are talent and glyph choices that make it a very viable AOE tanking tool.

Deleted
    I rarily use it as my spec doesn't have Hallowed ground so the few times there's a gap in my rotation I'm usually too low on mana to warrant using it.
    When I do have hallowed ground however I prioritize it over holy wrath but still only use it when everything else is on CD.

The only time I really use it because I feel it's a good idea and not because I have nothing to press is probably Spine HC when I have to move somewhere (tendon or kite) and I know there's a few bloods on the way to my previous location, or on Madness heroic before hemohrages (spelled?) spawns for a little bit of initial threat while I move back into melee range (shadow priest soaking). and of course during black phase on Yor'sahj if my mana is good.

However I really like it on beta with the glyph. in the two dungeons I did the other day I probably used it more than I did in the past month on retail

Deleted
    Getting whispers like that from people is HIGHLY ANNOYING!. just keep on using consecration.

sadly it is a pretty worthless ability unless you have hallowed ground, and there are better talents to take. if you are finding gaps in your rotating, check your rotation, and if really needed use holy wrath.
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

10+ Year Old Account
    Consecration is very nice for AOE tanking (and it will be even more important in MOP as I can tell from the limited 5-man running in Beta). So keep using it
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Ofc you should use than conse when you have nothing to use for a single gcd.