Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    I actually didn't know Sudden Death was an old song, to my understanding it was never actually released before and he was said to have written it specifically to make a challenging song for a Guitar Hero game?

Anyway, either way... I read Mustaine post on Facebook that he's already begun writing for 14!
    Yup, Mustaine never rests from writing, or touring for that matter.

Sudden Death was written for Guitar Hero, but was released single handedly as a single on Itunes and more, thus it classifies as an ''old'' song which was reused on 13.

Eh, I thought the production on Metallica's "Death Magnetic" was the best ever. I actually was not a fan of Metallica untill it.

The rougher obviously oldschool production values of all their past work hadn't caught my attention fully.

Before that album, I was the kind of guy who kinda liked some Metallica songs here & there on the radio, but wasn't a true fan.

But then, I heard "Cyanide" on my car stereo system and was BLOWN AWAY! I don't think I would have been blown away if the production was bad TBH. Then I got into them big time, bought that album and went on to backtrack to their old albums. (Except the suckish 3)
    The production on Death Magnetic is an oddball, it sure does pack a punch, it's really powerful, you can feel it, the problem is in the sound. The songs over-distort, especially the drums when Lars hits the cymbals, which is a side effect of the loudness wars. Death Magnetic is simply TOO loud, and the overdistortion at some points is a side effect of that. The songs are however some of their best written songs ever, I can't get enough of songs like Broken, Beat & Scarred, Cyanide and Judas Kiss.

Also, if you're that new of a Metallica fan, then it's no surprise you don't like the 3 albums you listed. Load and Reload takes some listens, Load is actually a very good, groovy and catchy album, The Outlaw Torn is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time. Reload is a little more odd, it has A LOT of fillers, Fuel is probably the only one you'll dig for quite some time, along with the live version of The Memory Remains. Last but not least, there's not a big chance you'll ever come to like St. Anger, I love it, but the bad production, the lack of guitar solos and especially that damn trash can snare will probably put you off a lot. If you've watched the Some Kind of Monster movie I bet you'll atleast have respect for the album, as it is the biproduct of Metallica's hardest times. Load and Reload were simply albums they made because they felt like making something different than the usual metal, they wanted to make some groovy stuff, and I appreciate that.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2012-04-24 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Yup, Mustaine never rests from writing, or touring for that matter.

Sudden Death was written for Guitar Hero, but was released single handedly as a single on Itunes and more, thus it classifies as an ''old'' song which was reused on 13.
    That doesn't make much sense, every artist/bands release some songs as singles before the album comes out

Like for instance that new Linkin Park song "Burn it down" is buyable now, but is going to be part of their new album. Doesn't make it an old song but the 1st new song they let everyone have early

That doesn't make much sense, every artist/bands release some songs as singles before the album comes out

Like for instance that new Linkin Park song "Burn it down" is buyable now, but is going to be part of their new album. Doesn't make it an old song but the 1st new song they let everyone have early
    Sudden Death was released over a year before 13's release, it was never intended to be on the next record, we didn't even know if there'd be a next record back then, Mustaine even said he just put it on there for the heck of it. Making a song you've just put in for the heck of it the opener of the album is a bad move, especially since it's a song we the fans had listened to for over a year. They've released a few songs over the course of years, but none of those made it to the next album, they were simply collected on a B-side album which they put together years after they had released those previous songs. 13 feels like part new album part b-side collection.

Sudden Death wasn't a single for 13, it was a single for Guitar Hero, and it was closer to the release date of Endgame than that of 13's.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2012-04-24 at 03:59 PM.

Everything after Good Mourning by Alkaline Trio for me. Crimson was ok, but not great. Some songs I have to skip. Agony and Irony and This Addiction were just horrible though. Damnesia had 2 good songs, but it was more of an acoustic covers (one song was an acoustic cover of an already acoustic song of theirs...seriously?) greatest hits album. I can't really stand anything Matt Skiba does anymore, Dan is where it's at. I'll always love them though.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we are talking about most recent then...

In Flames: Sounds of a Playground Fading

Totally didnt dig this, a big in flames fan for years, their latest offering so so bad its curently at the back of my CD collection where light never shines!!!

Inme: Herald Moth

I love Inme, I live not far from their guitarist, and love their first three albums, this one however was their worst, I gave it 10 listens and it just didnt work for me. Their current album Pride is slightly better though

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukkatime View Post
    Everything after Good Mourning by Alkaline Trio for me. Crimson was ok, but not great. Some songs I have to skip. Agony and Irony and This Addiction were just horrible though. Damnesia had 2 good songs, but it was more of an acoustic covers (one song was an acoustic cover of an already acoustic song of theirs...seriously?) greatest hits album. I can't really stand anything Matt Skiba does anymore, Dan is where it's at. I'll always love them though.
    I actually found Agony and and Irony the best Alkaline Trio album since Good Mourning, but yea This Addiction was pretty groaning, as much a sI try to like it.
    Last edited by Orby; 2012-04-24 at 06:02 PM.

@OP: I was surprised to see Protest The Hero's latest album on your list. Not because it wasn't a disappointment, but because it's kind of rare to find fans of the band.

Anyway, I think you should give it a few more listens before you cast it away. I felt the same way at first (then again, what could possible follow Fortress?), but after letting it all sink in, it's a fantastic album. I'd say just as good as Fortress or Kezia, but just in a different way. The technical prowess exhibited by the band is superb; they've all gotten a lot better at playing their respective instruments, even though they were already pretty amazing. Rody Walker's voice also sounds much better here, with him seeming to have developed more vocal range since the last album.

The songs aren't as epic as Fortress, per se, but they are more personal and the words have more meaning to our lives in general, or at least, they do for me, having struggled with depression and a lost sense of self in the past, as most of us struggle with at some point or another.

So I'd say revisit the album with these new insights and you'll more than likely find yourself loving Scurrilous just as much as Fortress or Kezia, just like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    If we are talking about most recent then...

In Flames: Sounds of a Playground Fading
    Oh yeah, I too was dissapointed with that one. The single "Deliver Us" was awesome, but when I got the whole album it was all very forgettable it sat in my iTunes with playcounts of about... 3 per song for a while till I just deleted it. Later I revisited it and the playcounts got to like, 15ish... which is still shitty/low. So yeah good pick for dissapointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pan Pan View Post
    @OP: I was surprised to see Protest The Hero's latest album on your list. Not because it wasn't a disappointment, but because it's kind of rare to find fans of the band.

Anyway, I think you should give it a few more listens before you cast it away. I felt the same way at first (then again, what could possible follow Fortress?), but after letting it all sink in, it's a fantastic album. I'd say just as good as Fortress or Kezia, but just in a different way. The technical prowess exhibited by the band is superb; they've all gotten a lot better at playing their respective instruments, even though they were already pretty amazing. Rody Walker's voice also sounds much better here, with him seeming to have developed more vocal range since the last album.

The songs aren't as epic as Fortress, per se, but they are more personal and the words have more meaning to our lives in general, or at least, they do for me, having struggled with depression and a lost sense of self in the past, as most of us struggle with at some point or another.

So I'd say revisit the album with these new insights and you'll more than likely find yourself loving Scurrilous just as much as Fortress or Kezia, just like I did.
    There was 1 song on the album where Rody was getting all emo about some chick , that was the biggest turn off on the album for me, plus the rest just not catching on immediatley like Kezia/Fortress. I instantly liked "C'est La Vie" but the rest ehhhhhhh....... wasn't feelin it. I think I'll just wait for PTH album #4

Did you know Rody started making country music as a side project? Pretty unexpected...

There was 1 song on the album where Rody was getting all emo about some chick , that was the biggest turn off on the album for me, plus the rest just not catching on immediatley like Kezia/Fortress. I instantly liked "C'est La Vie" but the rest ehhhhhhh....... wasn't feelin it. I think I'll just wait for PTH album #4

Did you know Rody started making country music as a side project? Pretty unexpected...
    Okay, suit yourself. I still think you're missing out. It actually took me a few weeks of listening to Blindfolds Aside off Kezia before I bothered checking out the rest of Kezia and Fortress. I feel it's the kind of band that grows on you after a while. They're actually my favorite band as of a few years ago. As for Scurrilous, with songs like Moonlight, Tapestry, and Dunsel, the shred is still definitely very strong in the album. Also, gotta love Jadea Kelly's voice guest starring once again.

And no, I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out. Can Rody actually make country music good? It might be possible...

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, none of the artists I follow disappoint me. If I catch on that their material is headed south, I can usually abandon ship before the album debuts. That, and the artists I listen to consistently have been very good to me. There is one album that comes to mind though. I used to be a huge Pumpkins fan as a kid, and I even listened to Zwan and thought it was a reasonably good artistic endeavor. But when Billy Corgan's solo album came out (THEFUTUREEMBRACE, I think it was called), aside from the title tracks that were interesting in their own idiom, the album on the whole was just terrible, even for the overly synthetic sound it was trying to accomplish. Bad enough that I cut that line of music right out of my permanent playlist. Now just another artist I used to listen to as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pan Pan View Post
    Okay, suit yourself. I still think you're missing out. It actually took me a few weeks of listening to Blindfolds Aside off Kezia before I bothered checking out the rest of Kezia and Fortress. I feel it's the kind of band that grows on you after a while. They're actually my favorite band as of a few years ago. As for Scurrilous, with songs like Moonlight, Tapestry, and Dunsel, the shred is still definitely very strong in the album. Also, gotta love Jadea Kelly's voice guest starring once again.

And no, I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out. Can Rody actually make country music good? It might be possible...
    Well I didn't like it, but I generally almost never like Country music in the 1st place.

Here's the link
    http://soundcloud.com/rody-walker

I got this yesterday

The single "Demented Aggression" is pretty great, thanks to iTunes being fucked up and not allowing me to preview anything w/o cutting off the previews after like somewhere between 2 and 12 seconds.... I went ahead and bought it based on that track alone really

This whole album, at least so far seems to just suck. Like I said "Demented Aggression" is great, but also "As Deep as the knife will go" is pretty good too

2 out of 12 tracks being good = Bad album overall

Most of the songs seem devoid of hooks, having no hook is the DUMBEST thing you can ever do when writing a song.

Lyrically this album is absolutely morbid to a disturbing level. I know CC is known for being morbid & brutal, but this is the 1st album of theirs that I've ever went ahead and bought...... the lyrics are absolutely disturbing on most of the songs.

The vocalist goes higher on the hook in "Demented Aggression" yet seems to almost never do this again at any point in any song, remaining mostly monotone in his growling.... another huge minus

So yeah, aside from 2 songs I'm not really feeling this album, I can sit through it with a straight face, unmoved... but I expected the whole thing to make me impulsively air guitar, air drum, headbang, and scream/growl along.... but nope... I just sit there... still and unmoved by it..... literally not feeling it.

$10 , meet trash can. Trash can, meet $10.

I will continue to give this piece of junk a few spins and chances... but I don't see this one growing on me TBH....

Deleted
    Stuff about CC
    Were you surprised? Theyre cannibal corpse afterall. Imo their music and lyrical content is pretty bland and boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the Scurrilous album. I enjoyed both Kezia and Fortress a lot more. Though Scurrilous was better than A Calculated Use of Sound and Search for the Truth.
    Black Lives Matter

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Also, if you're that new of a Metallica fan, then it's no surprise you don't like the 3 albums you listed. Load and Reload takes some listens, Load is actually a very good, groovy and catchy album, The Outlaw Torn is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time. Reload is a little more odd, it has A LOT of fillers, Fuel is probably the only one you'll dig for quite some time, along with the live version of The Memory Remains. Last but not least, there's not a big chance you'll ever come to like St. Anger, I love it, but the bad production, the lack of guitar solos and especially that damn trash can snare will probably put you off a lot. If you've watched the Some Kind of Monster movie I bet you'll atleast have respect for the album, as it is the biproduct of Metallica's hardest times. Load and Reload were simply albums they made because they felt like making something different than the usual metal, they wanted to make some groovy stuff, and I appreciate that.
    I like Load and Reload just fine, but Fuel is at this point one of my least favorite songs ever. partially due to a few years ago when Fox's NASCAR broadcast used it as a de facto opening theme, partially it just doesn't work as a song for me, the repetitive "gimme fuel, gimme fire" shout just grates on my nerves... but yeah, Outlaw Torn, Poor Twisted Me, Better Than You, Memory Remains, they were better albums than a lot of people gave them credit for (hell, I even like Low Man's Lyric)

OT: Meatloaf's newest album "Hell in a Handbasket" (dude sure is obsessed with fire and brimstone...) is ok, but really noticing the lack of Steinman's co-writing. about half the album is really good, but then there's a cover of California Dreamin' (no thanks) and a complete out of left field trip of a song called Stand in the Storm featuring Trace Adkins (eh?) Lil Jon (WHAT?!?) and Mark McGrath (no thanks...), though I do enjoy All of Me and Live or Die, so it's at least worth hearing once or twice
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Every Weezer album not made in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
    Were you surprised? Theyre cannibal corpse afterall. Imo their music and lyrical content is pretty bland and boring.
    I'm surprised because Cannibal Corpse is considered Legendary by many and an inspiration to many much better Death Metal bands

Oh and of course, because if the whole album was as good as "Demented Aggression" I'd probably consider the album a masterpiece... sooooo yeah.....
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-07-15 at 08:07 AM.

Deleted
    I'm surprised because Cannibal Corpse is considered Legendary by many and an inspiration to many much better Death Metal bands

Oh and of course, because if the whole album was as good as "Demented Aggression" I'd probably consider the album a masterpiece... sooooo yeah.....
    Maybe they are considered legendary but to me it always seemed like they are purposefully trying to be as generic as possible .

Deleted
    Live From The Underground - Big KRIT

Debut album should have outshined the mixtapes but wasn't even close.

LASERS - Lupe Fiasco

Ugh biggest disappointment for me, after looping The Cool for years was hoping for something at least half decent.

Recently?
    Would have to say Nas. Listened to a leaked Life Is Good, was very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotai View Post
    Slipknot - Vol 3.
    Huh. Really? Now that I'm no longer an overly privileged, sheltered teenager growing up in suburbia who thought listening to Slipknot made me a real badass rebel, I've come to feel that Vol. 3 was the only album they ever released that I felt was worth a damn.

@OP,

Didn't even know Protest released a third album. I'll have to check it out sometime, but I'll be the first to admit, I really didn't care much for Fortress. Loved Kezia, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Everything after Train of Thought by Dream Theater disappoints me (though Octavarium does have some solid songs on it, its just not worthy of a full listen to as a whole album). And then with the loss of Portnoy on drums, I fear for the albums to come

Everyone else hit a lot of the obvious ones with the 3 shitty 'tallica albums (though I do enjoy St. Anger on occasion).