The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Motherboard ? P8z77 WS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131822

Ok so I know completely overkill most likely for pretty much anything, but I see that this is listed to be able to run x16/x16 PCIe3.0. or x8/x8/x8/x8 if you run quad, and so on. That actually makes me happy and was one of the reasons I was lookin at x79 boards because of these options.

I do have a question about the lanes. If I were to run dual gpu's at x16/x16, am I able to use any of the other slots like PCI x1 for additional things?? Or would the cpu not allow it and change the x16/x16 to lower multipliers, like x8/x8? Just trying to understand how the lanes work and if they are all the same or if they are diff.

The 2 additional lines would most likely be disabled in x16/x16.

Due note that PCIe3.0 x8 is equal to PCIe2.0 x16 bandwidth. So If you planned to get an ivy bridge cpu you could probably run x8x/x8/x8/x8 without bottle-necking the video cards.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Note that Ivy Bridge still only has 16 PCIe lanes on the processor itself and then the extra off a PLX bridge. If you really want to run more than two high-bandwidth devices, I'd say stick to Sandy Bridge E and X79 just to minimize the possibility of latency.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ya that was my question... So Ivy only allows for 16 lanes for gpu's? So even though the WS board shows x16/x16 it would really run at x8/x8 for gpu's, if I am getting this right. Then again if it was possible it would run both cards at x16/x16 I wouldn't be able to use the other lanes because they would disable. So if I wanted dual gpu's, with potential to run a third and potentially a sound card I would need to go with an x79 board instead, because I wouldn't have enough lanes to run all of that even on the ASUS WS board?? Just trying to understand this, and thanks for the reply

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    It allows x16/x16, but you would have the additional latency of the PLX bridge negating all of the benefit.