Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogretron View Post
    Are Guild Wars 2 passwords case sensitive? Still can't believe Blizzards isn't even after all these years.

So if your hard drive gets corrupted you just lost all your passwords. There are better ways to create safe passwords that are easy to remember. This also doesn't protect against any sort of key logger.

I really hope you're joking.

I've ran keyloggers, and really? WHY WOULD I NOT BACK IT UP. I really hope you don't think people don't back anything up.

That's on top of pure virtual browsing and wiping when done. So yeah, running your hand all over your keyboard and not being stupid is amazing.
    Last edited by Fenlnir; 2012-08-19 at 05:16 AM.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Want to keep your account safe?

- Don't share your account information with anyone.
    - Have a good virus protector and scan your PC weekly, or daily.
    - Don't share your account information with anyone.
    - Don't visit unofficial GW2 websites.
    - Don't share you account information with anyone.
    - Don't fall for the fake ArenaNet e-mails. ArenaNet will NEVER ask you for your password. Why would they? They have it in their database.
    - And lastly, don't share your account information with anyone.. Not even if they are your closest friends and family.
    Sorry, but nothing can guarantee safety. Even internet security professionals can get hacked if they do something like not update Adobe Flash. The best you can hope to do is keep your accounts separate (don't use the same password, better yet, don't use the same handle) so they if one account is hacked the others are not automatically compromised.

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 01:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fenlnir View Post
    I've ran keyloggers, and really? WHY WOULD I NOT BACK IT UP. I really hope you don't think people don't back anything up.

That's on top of pure virtual browsing and wiping when done. So yeah, running your hand all over your keyboard and not being stupid is amazing.
    You should try KeePass. It's more secure than your method. I've got thumb drive I use for nothing but storing my KeePass files and it works really well.

Even though I've never been hacked in my life, I'd like an autenticator and I think I read something about it somewhere...
    Or another form of verification.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-19 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I were looking for some thread concerning this to post questions.

Every game and their mom almost got secret question for your account security and me and my friends all got a bit confused no secret question was needed to be created for GW2 account. Anyone know if this is something they plan to add on launch or how do they reason about this, do they think it's fine as it is or?
    Those questions are of dubious value considering everybody and their mom uses that system. Why? because everybody uses it and most people are lazy. What is the first thing a hacker is likely to do when they compromise an account? well ok that's easy clean it out. Whats the second thing? go see if that poor shmuck used the same info on any other popular game that hacker group is targeting. All it takes is for hackers to get ahold of a list of secret question/answer combos and their account names and they can compromise accounts on other games that used the same info. Incidentally didn't blizz have a security breach having to do with this kind of info recently? I've seen the secrete question system used on random forums and such that I'd deem much less likely to be secure. Its good to have an extra layer of security and all but relying on that is kind alike having a bulletproof vest made out of chain link fence. There are so many chances for it to get compromised if your lazy and reuse info that it may as well not even be there.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenlnir View Post

It's a lot better to just create a password that's difficult to crack yet simple to remember. You're just lucky nothing bad has happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogretron View Post
    Are Guild Wars 2 passwords case sensitive? Still can't believe Blizzards isn't even after all these years.
    Blizzard presumably doesn't have case sensitive passwords because too many people try to type theirs with caps lock on.

Case sensitivity is overrated, anyway. It is not necessary in order to protect passwords against brute force attacks via the normal login mechanism (any login mechanism that allows an attacker hundreds or thousands of attacks per minute would be the problem, not weak passwords). And to protect against the case where the servers are hacked and the password database are stolen, there are better ways to add additional entropy to your password that don't make it a pain to remember and type it.

It is far more annoying when the password length is limited artificially.

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 12:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Every game and their mom almost got secret question for your account security and me and my friends all got a bit confused no secret question was needed to be created for GW2 account. Anyone know if this is something they plan to add on launch or how do they reason about this, do they think it's fine as it is or?
    Because security questions mostly just provide additional means for hacking an account. They are basically an alternative, weaker password. (Weaker, because they ask for RL information that can often be found by googling details about that person.)

If you need to recover your account after being hacked, NCSoft will generally ask you about your serial code instead (plus, possibly additional information that a hacker is unlikely to know). I recommend making a note of that, by the way.

If you need to reset your password, knowing your email suffices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, NCSoft added some extra security to Aion. You have a code that you have to mouse click the numbers on now to get in. The numbers randomly change places on the keypad on-screen. You can also only log in from your ip- if you want to add another computer you have to do that on your master account. Master account pw and game pw are different as well. I'm sure Anet does have plans- just aren't implemented yet. Since they have mobile application options coming- I'd assume a mobile authenticator app is in the works perhaps?