10+ Year Old Account

Open Beta shows me my MacBook Pro Fail

Long story short I am switching form Macbook Pro to PC Desktop.

I was able to find out that after 20 minutes of running the game on mid graphics with 20-30 fps my computer's temperature rose to above 95C and sometimes goes above 100c. After 20 minutes the fps jumps down to 8-20 fps until it eventually turns off from over heating.

The best I can play is when i place the computer right by my window with a fan also blowing right on it, I can run the game at low graphics with 20-30fps for over an hour or two.

17' macbook pro 2010
    Processor: 2.66 HGz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB

I heard they are fixing the FPS issues for macs on the "release build", we played the "debug build" in open beta. This however won't fix my overheating issue.

I bought a PC desktop on sunday and the game ran at 60fps constantly.

PS. my friends who have 15' MacBooks can run the game on mid graphics with no issues and they are older computers.

Deleted
    i now would like to say somethin, but im afraid of gettin infracted so...yeah just do it.

Macs are not for gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, there ya go. I'm not flaming mac but people just do not see that macs are inferior to PCs. Just build your own comp and if you are so inclined to have a mac, put it on your custom built PC's HDD.

Btw, this is your problem
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB

I find that a LOT of macs are built cheap (just like PCs, but thats beside the point) and are way more overpriced than they should be.

Have fun with your new PC though .

10+ Year Old Account
    damn I have a good processor with a crap graphic card :'(

10+ Year Old Account
    Above have already stated the obvious. While Macs can do gaming, they are not ideal. Example mobile chips and at times heating issues with the iMacs. Only strong machine that Apple offers is really the Mac Pro (not the macbook). On top of this, you are running on a laptop which will only make things worse since they have heating issues, whether Apple Macbook or other Distributor (unless you bought gaming laptop which should not have heating issues).

Your best bet is to lower graphics to minimum, update any drivers, possibly go to Apple Store and have it checked if you have any warranty left. If not then open it up and see if there is any dust particles and if so clean it. I am not sure if you can take out the CPU and GPU chips to apply any thermal paste since Iv not played around with Laptops (shame my step dad threw away his old laptop, damn it!!!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Grassfarmer View Post
    damn I have a good processor with a crap graphic card :'(
    Well the CPU is sub-par, but this is how things go with Apple. They make it sound good but when you look closer its actually not that amazing (selling you down clocked versions of hardware and charging $100+ for a 100Mhz OC, don't get me started with RAM replacements). Not hating on the OS, since that is the most brilliant part of Apple (aesthetics too but to each their own of course).

But as iv said, Laptops aren't meant for gaming, at least not any big games. (excluding gaming Laptops).
    Last edited by Mister K; 2012-04-23 at 07:57 PM.
    -K

Why would you play your computer till it shutdown for over heating? thats like driving a car your aware has a bad radiator. Eventually its gonna burn out but you keep driving it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassfarmer View Post
    PS. my friends who have 15' MacBooks can run the game on mid graphics with no issues and they are older computers.
    Well... that might suggest that your machine is broken. Full of dust maybe?

But yes, overreactions aside ("Macs are inferior to PCs!!"), while Macs and PCs run the same hardware nowadays, a Core i5 Mac with a GT330M will be slower with gaming than a Core i5 Windows machine with a GT330M simply because graphics drivers on Windows are much more polished and optimised. Just reboot your MacBook Pro into Windows and you'll see what I mean - you'll get higher performance on the same machine.

Still! If an older, lower spec Mac can play the game better than your machine, it sounds like your machine has problems.

This is the recommended setup for d3 on mac, so I don't see your issue. I'm running the exact same setup and i was on high with a stable 20-30 fps. http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...m-requirements

I feel that Apple does not care to put high end Graphics cards in their systems. Macs are fine as long as you don't need to do anything that is too intensive. I have been a Mac user most of my life and loved them for what they were. Once I got into PC gaming I was hooked and could never go back though.

The problem with the new Mac line is that they use the Aluminum body to radiate heat. This is not the only form but for the sake of making them quiet they cut down the fan speed and size inside the device. The G4 was an amazing computer tower back in the day. The G3 was amazing in the time it was released however, it seems as though Apple has become a mobile/Low use computer company. Ever since they changed their name from Apple Computers to Apple Inc I have seen a complete disregard to the desktop/laptop market.

Hopefully Apple will go back to making up to date computers in the future. Just seems that for now they have swept them under the rug for the mobile market they have smashed into and really dominated for the past five years.

(I am not hating on Macs whoever is moderating this thread)

15+ Year Old Account
    I always loved how quiet my macs were. but its a trade off, they can over heat on long gaming sessions. I hate how loud my pc is. but its i dont have to worry about a game not working on it, or it shutting down due to overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Katjezz View Post
    i now would like to say somethin, but im afraid of gettin infracted so...yeah just do it.

Macs are not for gaming.
    macs, and apple products in general are not for those with brains in their heads, it's for ameri... nvm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    macs, and apple products in general are not for those with brains in their heads, it's for ameri... nvm
    What you did there. I see it.

The game isn't fully optimized yet.

So do not get depressed until they finish with that.

The game currently lags now and then on my laptop, a laptop which can handle FAR more graphical games without a single stutter. The issue is the game, not your system. At least right now.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Mac = fail for gaming, most games don't even support it without bootcamp

Laptop = fail for gaming, the video cards avail for laptops are not as good as for desktops and they have to share slower system memory.

Put the two together and you have a fail sandwich.

Sure, there are some mac users out there that run PC games on them fine, and there a some good enough laptops out there that run games well enough. However, if you want to play all the latest greatest games on max settings, get a desktop PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    The game isn't fully optimized yet.

So do not get depressed until they finish with that.

The game currently lags now and then on my laptop, a laptop which can handle FAR more graphical games without a single stutter. The issue is the game, not your system. At least right now.
    I am aware of this being a debug build not the full optimized release version, I was able to play well for 20 minutes. The big problem was the overheating and how my sytem slowed down when over 90c.

I then played on a higher end pc desktop and ran the "debug version" (OPEN BETA) on it with 60fps max graphics.

The only thing I can say to justify this being still on the Diablo 3 side and not mac's side is that The client for Macs was not on the priority list for blizzard and they will hopefully be optimizing it "soon".