Is the rip-off better than the original?

I bought Torchlight a couple years ago because I needed a cheap entertaining game that didn't take a lot of compute power on my laptop while visiting family. It was a blatant ripoff of Diablo 2, but it was very good mindless fun. I understand a sequel came out but I didn't play it.

I played the Diablo 3 beta over the weekend and I wasn't really blown away at all. Sure it was mindless fun, but outside of some physics upgrades like chandeliers crashing on enemies and falling walls burying undead stuff, how has the series advanced? I remember very little difference from the original Torchlight.

My hope for Diablo 3 is that the clamped-down security with Battle.net will filter out the cheating, botting and general thuggishness I encountered when playing Diablo 2.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you don't like Diablo 3 then don't play it and continue with Torchlight.

Noone will stop you

Torchlight 2 isn't even out yet, for one.

Also, the driving force behind Torchlight is the same lead design team that was behind Diablo and Diablo 2, so I have a hard time calling it a total ripoff.

Not sure how Torchlight can be a ripoff. Any more than Dragon's Nest, Baldur's Gate, Champions of Norrath, Path of Exile, Rogue, Titan's Quest, Grim Dawn, Dungeon Siege, Dragon Slayer, Fate or Brutal Legend or Dungeon Runners are ripoffs.

Come on now. It's called a genre. Many things can belong under the umbrella of a broadly defined genre without expressly being clones or "ripoffs". Everyday gamers sink their medium just a little lower than the last day.

This thread AGAIN?
    Please stop making these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

I didn't think so, thought Torchlight was exceedingly bland

Can't say anything about Torchlight 2 because the devs are bloody useless and have put exactly no useful information on their website at all
    Where's my lists of skills? What do they think they are doing?

Deleted
    Torchlight had a handfull of competitive builds coupled with no story at all and extremely repetive level design.
    I couldn't finnish it even once. The farthest I got was level 30 or something when I realized I has just gotten more and more boring instead of more exciting as most games tend to.

---------- Post added 2012-04-24 at 12:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not sure how Torchlight can be a ripoff. Any more than Dragon's Nest, Baldur's Gate, Champions of Norrath, Path of Exile, Rogue, Titan's Quest, Grim Dawn, Dungeon Siege, Dragon Slayer, Fate or Brutal Legend or Dungeon Runners are ripoffs.

Come on now. It's called a genre. Many things can belong under the umbrella of a broadly defined genre without expressly being clones or "ripoffs". Everyday gamers sink their medium just a little lower than the last day.
    Scroll of Identification, Scroll of Townportal? Exactly same sounds in many parts?
    It's a rip off and the devs aren't denying it.

Deleted
    Closing this. We already have one thread about torchlight and this one does not seem constructive.