Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The Current State of TOR

Hello,

I had a pre-order of TOR right out the gate and was a hardcore player until late February. I started having a lot of school work at that time so I stopped playing and let my subscription die in March. Right now I'm considering going back to TOR but I'm on the fence because Diablo 3 is about to come out, tried the open Beta and wasn't a huge fan. I'll only have time to play one of them so I was looking how people in the TOR community feels about its current state. I don't want to return to game that's losing its player base left and right, but a game that's growing a community of regular players. I love TOR but I want to know if they've fixed some of the problems of 3 months ago.

Specific Questions: Do the servers have more people? Have PvP bugs been fixed such as the deserter detector starting early?

Thanks for your help.

Deleted
    It's a new MMO so it needs to get everything up and running, I'd suggest trying it out, if you don't like it, come back in 6 months or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Quote Originally Posted by Khartol View Post
    It's a new MMO so it needs to get everything up and running, I'd suggest trying it out, if you don't like it, come back in 6 months or so.
    I really dont think that was what he was looking for, you didnt really offer much or really address what he asked.

Ill do my best to try to address it then, ive been sort of keeping up with swtor since i quit in February.

As far as i can gather subs are still being lost, i dont know what the rate is but i do know that people are leaving. As long as you come back and go play one a high pop i dont think you will have an issue with population as most people migrate toward the higher pops like they do in rift. I dont think much has changed with pvp as the pvp part of 1.2 was delayed and i dont think it has been put in yet. So some of the bugs might be gone but i wouldnt imagine all of them have.
    Last edited by Fishyface; 2012-04-24 at 01:12 AM.
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

10+ Year Old Account
    The legacy update made the servers very crowded again... for a few days. I logged in today and noticed a lot of the energy is gone again and I was only seeing 20 people on the 37-47 leveling areas. I'm not on endgame yet, but it does seem that they are losing people still. (I am on a heavily populated server btw)

If you didn't like the fundamental gameplay for D3 then I would avoid it, but if it was just not enough content and difficulty I would say play D3 over SWTOR, I think once we progress further in to D3 it's going to be a fantastic and challenging game. Truthfully I think there is time for D3 and an MMO if you aren't a fantatic for either.
    Last edited by Shuya82; 2012-04-24 at 01:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say come back, i had a similar issue, but it was lacrosse instead of to much school work.

I came back, i was on a populated server (Jedi Convent) And i have this new fire for the game. The PVP in my eyes is improving, pve is improving, as well as the game is generally better

When a wild forum troll appears

I think it's much better than it was at launch. It felt like it was still in beta at that time. That being said, anything's an improvement. 1.2 did bring out a lot of nice changes (I think, anyway).

Legacy system's been implemented, finally (they have plans to add features later). That alone makes it unique in the MMO world, as no one else (that I know of) links your different toons together. Some of the current features or abilities you can acquire require a lot of credits or legacy levels. As an altoholic, I don't have too much of either right now.

They also made some hefty tweaks to the classes. Mostly for balance issues, but there's always going to be some kind of imbalance somewhere.

Not being a pvper, I can't speak for that side. As far as servers, I think there are a few high-population ones, like maybe Fatman. Dunno if it's a pvp server though.

Ah problem is I was on The Constant which has pretty low server pop. idk if I want to relevel my character.

Even more so, I posted this same thing on TORhead. Not a single reply from the community....

I think I'm going to call SWTOR if they'll switch my char's server I'll be happy to join back up.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Btw, I liked Diablo but come on point click based? Its just less streamlined... The least they could do was make the movement wasd.
    Last edited by Yash; 2012-04-24 at 01:31 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    imo, ToR is a complete waste of space. i started on day 1, got to 50 in a week, then another week of getting heroic group gear, then 3 weeks later i was fully geared out in rakata gear after multiple clears of nightmare raiding

point is,,, it was way tooo easy, soo easy it left a bitter taste in my mouth as it provided no challenge at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yash View Post
    Ah problem is I was on The Constant which has pretty low server pop. idk if I want to relevel my character.

Even more so, I posted this same thing on TORhead. Not a single reply from the community....

I think I'm going to call SWTOR if they'll switch my char's server I'll be happy to join back up.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Btw, I liked Diablo but come on point click based? Its just less streamlined... The least they could do was make the movement wasd.
    WASD wouldn't really work on a top down static camera game, which really is one of the defining characteristic on the Diablo franchise, and truthfully there is nothing wrong with it, but to each their own =)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post

As far as i can gather subs are still being lost, i dont know what the rate is but i do know that people are leaving. As long as you come back and go play one a high pop i dont think you will have an issue with population as most people migrate toward the higher pops like they do in rift.
    according to... what exactly?

IC pop appears to have doubled since two weeks ago. There was 150 people in fleet earlier this evening and about 125 in tatooine.

So... Yeah.

If you are just going off personal experience I guess I could claim that the total population of swtor has doubled...
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotica View Post
    imo, ToR is a complete waste of space. i started on day 1, got to 50 in a week, then another week of getting heroic group gear, then 3 weeks later i was fully geared out in rakata gear after multiple clears of nightmare raiding

point is,,, it was way tooo easy, soo easy it left a bitter taste in my mouth as it provided no challenge at all.
    If you did this within the month, they made the game easy back then to obtain a set of raiding players who could organize and set up guilds.

I sent swtor a complaint saying if they'd move my character I'd resubscribe, otherwise I'm buying D3. I can wait for patch 1.3 in August when they allow ranked team matches.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you did this within the month, they made the game easy back then to obtain a set of raiding players who could organize and set up guilds.

I sent swtor a complaint saying if they'd move my character I'd resubscribe, otherwise I'm buying D3. I can wait for patch 1.3 in August when they allow ranked team matches.
    even with the 1.2 free weekend, i did raiding and it was still way too easy clearing on nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotica View Post
    even with the 1.2 free weekend, i did raiding and it was still way too easy clearing on nightmare
    So... you must be in the one french guild that downed the NM content then. Because only one guild cleared it by the weekend.

At the very least you must be in one of the top 10 guilds in the world. Since only 10 guilds have cleared HM t2.

http://www.swtor.raidranks.com/#!

edit: So you hadn't played in about 2 months, logged on, joined one of the top 10 guilds in the world and downed the new content.
    That's not very believable. (technically, according to your account, the top guild in the world)
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-04-24 at 02:01 AM.

1.3 will not take till august.

Diablo isn't an MMO, theres no need for WASD as your meant to click...clickclickclickclickclickclick that's the whole freaking point of Diablo and once you realise how the shift key works then you will see why theres no need for WASD. Prolly wasting my breath though....you know what I don't care if you don't get the joy of clicking just leave D3 alone.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    So... you must be in the one french guild that downed the NM content then. Because only one guild cleared it by the weekend.

At the very least you must be in one of the top 10 guilds in the world. Since only 10 guilds have cleared HM t2.

http://www.swtor.raidranks.com/#!

edit: So you hadn't played in about 2 months, logged on, joined one of the top 10 guilds in the world and downed the new content.
    That's not very believable. (technically, according to your account, the top guild in the world)
    he could be part of the 27 guilds that did iton 8m but from what ive been told 16m is harder than 8m so thats where it counts

Quote Originally Posted by Medjai View Post
    he could be part of the 27 guilds that did iton 8m but from what ive been told 16m is harder than 8m so thats where it counts
    8 man is always easier in both organization and execution.

Complaining about the difficulty of a game based off its easier setting is odd to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    8 man is always easier in both organization and execution.

Complaining about the difficulty of a game based off its easier setting is odd to say the least.
    oh i know, i was just pointing out he COULD have been but thats very unlikely and then complaining about how easy the game/raid is makes me chuckle when a total of 37 guilds give or take a few guilds have cleared the raid and they can go straight to HM unlike in WoW where you have to clear normal to get to hard, im sure Dream Paragon and all the other top guilds would go straight to HM if they could and clear it in a week or 2 but thats my opinion

I unsubbed for a month, came back for 1.2, its actually really fun, the world events are really fun and probably better than anything since AQ40.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do we really need this thread every week?